Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 10:40 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
What kind of warning? It’s just a plain-Jane Wordpress blog.
The problem is that the URL in your signature block starts with "WWW.", but this is not included in your security certificate. The following link will work without error:

https://msnomersvan.wordpress.com
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:41 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
What does it say?
I get it too....
Attached Images
File Type: png wwper.png (24.0 KB, 6 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:48 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I have taken out the www.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Much gooder. Thanks.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:09 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I get a warning message for this website.

Dayvvd,

So did I but I just pressed ahead, a month ago it said some warning from WordPress- its well worth a couple of clicks or contacting her directly & getting her to send a link - when I mentioned the warnings to her she was unsure as to whst I was talking about.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:16 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Dayvvd,

So did I but I just pressed ahead, a month ago it said some warning from WordPress- its well worth a couple of clicks or contacting her directly & getting her to send a link - when I mentioned the warnings to her she was unsure as to whst I was talking about.
Not that you asked, but:
It really is not a very good idea to ignore a security alert that you don't understand. Not in this day and age. It could end up costing you a LOT more than a couple of clicks.

At minimum, any such problem that has anything to do with this list should be reported immediately.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:17 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Yes, Santa Monica is 8'/20' & requires a permit if overnighting
https://www.smgov.net/Departments/PC...arking-Permit/

We use a regular visitor hanger on the mirror when visiting MiL, and no issues as yet ( years)
with spare we are at 21' and 9'4" ( chev)
...back up camera helps

with the heat, whats the RV situation in Ventura/Oxnard/Hueneme?

mike

With the Heat, its HOT!

But we are essentially on vacation or to me, a vacation where I work which with Covid becomes a vacation with very little work.

Now if you habe a 3 way refrigerator & the manufacturer starts with Dometic flip over the unit & you will see the otiginal packing label.

WARNING FOR HOT WEATHER
Do NOT use this container as Fridge
This is only a Storage Box
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-24-2020, 11:26 PM   #28
Platinum Member

It really is not a very good idea to ignore a security alert that you don't understand. Not in this day and age. It could end up costing you a LOT more than a couple of clicks.

Thank you Avanti,

But I used to own a Dometic 3 Way in Los Angeles, ride a Kawasaki Z1000, used to dump a Roadtrek Black Tank every 10 days for 9 years in hundreds of dump locations, had a Tripplite RV612 Inverter & bought a Rig of which the new mgmt managed to defraud everyone & put in into Receivership in 5 years after 20 of family ownership - nothing can faze me now.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:32 PM   #29
Platinum Member

The links works now with no warning.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:22 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Thank you guys for helping me fix this.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Are you certain on the 19' long for a 190? I haven't measured for a while, but I seem to remember ours to be very close to what the brochure specs say at 20' 5" with the rear tire holder which adds 10" more. A 170 is listed at 18' 9". Ours is an 07 C190P that has the later style bumper covers and spoiler.
You could be right. I've never put a tape to it. Chevy lists the stock Express 3500 at 224" overall length. I didn't think the plastic fascias added more than a couple of inches on either end. The receiver tube for the spare tire mount protrudes maybe an inch past the fascia. 228"=19', so it shouldn't more than an inch or two over 19'. I have not missed the continental mount for a second.

I do have a 1ong tape. I'll check when I have a few minutes.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You could be right. I've never put a tape to it. Chevy lists the stock Express 3500 at 224" overall length. I didn't think the plastic fascias added more than a couple of inches on either end. The receiver tube for the spare tire mount protrudes maybe an inch past the fascia. 228"=19', so it shouldn't more than an inch or two over 19'. I have not missed the continental mount for a second.

I do have a 1ong tape. I'll check when I have a few minutes.
RT used the extended version of the 3500 Express for the 190. The current Chevy model lists it at 244.1 inches long, or 20.34 feet.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
RT used the extended version of the 3500 Express for the 190. The current Chevy model lists it at 244.1 inches long, or 20.34 feet.
Well, that explains it! I thought all 3500's were the LWB. And that explains why I don't quite fit in a parking space! Apologies for muddying the waters.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:29 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Its the perfect size for the Urban Environment or if ehen you are touring different places & want to get into the center of town.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:49 AM   #35
Platinum Member

170 is (or was) a 2500 chassis with the 4.8L which I personally think is undersized for the weight, and would lead to transmission hunting on hills ( I have the 4.8 in my pickup)

The 170 I looked at had cabinetry overhanging the feets in bed- too closed in for me.
the extra couple of feet in a LWB 3500 w/ 6.0 are well worth it
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:12 PM   #36
Platinum Member

I had a 17' Class B for 13 years and recently moved to a 24' "B+". The extra width (about 8" greater than a standard Promaster body) has never posed any issue. The extra length however has often made parking more challenging.

I can work around the extra length whenever I can find a spot with a grassy curb by backing in and let the back hang over the curb. Unfortunately, if parking is tight this is not as easy to find as I had thought. A surprisingly large number of parking lots in areas where parking is tight put bushes, rocks, or other large objects just on the other side of a parking spot. In areas where parking is not tight you don't see this type of obstruction very often. Again and again I have found myself thinking that I would gladly have traded 3' of my interior space for the extra parking flexibility.

We are already thinking about our next RV, possibly Sportsmobile, as the RV industry completely ignores anyone with more than 2 children. In my mind 21' seems like the sweet spot for space and parking ease. I'm not sure that the difference between 20' and 21' is all that meaningful based on my experience, but YMMV.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:40 PM   #37
Platinum Member

It's called landscaping for those grassy area impediments of berms, rocks, trees and bushes. The cities usually dictate a certain standard. In Florida we called it a jungle for the requirements imposed.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #38
Platinum Member

I asked a very short fortune teller what size RV to get. She gave me some advice, and then stole my wallet and ran from the police.

Her advice was... There's a small medium at large.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #39
Bronze Member

Quote:
You could also just take out the s - it's not secure, but people aren't even logging in to read the blog (you should still use the s, of course, when you log into the control panel). That circumvents the issue entirely, and also results in a faster load depending on what the host is using for the encryption. There's really no ned for "encryption" anyway on something that is public for anyone to read! (but most sites default to https:// to avoid handling the changeover from http:// to https:// for login, then back, as that would trigger a warning in most browsers also - but if people are just reading, not transacting (logging in, submitting forms, etc.), nothing needs to be secured anyway.
HitchNride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #40
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegw2 View Post
I had a 17' Class B for 13 years and recently moved to a 24' "B+". The extra width (about 8" greater than a standard Promaster body) has never posed any issue. The extra length however has often made parking more challenging.

I can work around the extra length whenever I can find a spot with a grassy curb by backing in and let the back hang over the curb. Unfortunately, if parking is tight this is not as easy to find as I had thought. A surprisingly large number of parking lots in areas where parking is tight put bushes, rocks, or other large objects just on the other side of a parking spot. In areas where parking is not tight you don't see this type of obstruction very often. Again and again I have found myself thinking that I would gladly have traded 3' of my interior space for the extra parking flexibility.

We are already thinking about our next RV, possibly Sportsmobile, as the RV industry completely ignores anyone with more than 2 children. In my mind 21' seems like the sweet spot for space and parking ease. I'm not sure that the difference between 20' and 21' is all that meaningful based on my experience, but YMMV.
You summed up what I was going to add. 20.5' is the sweet spot for maximum space while still being able to park anywhere. If one thinks 17', 18', or 19' makes or break it for parking - I would tend to think, those are places I wouldn't want to park a B anyway (probably hard to maneuver, unwanted attention, etc.). If it's a busy time of day in NY for parking, then even a 17' SUV will have issues with 10-20% of "open" spaces... 15' is then ideal. (small SUV/long car range) If parking is easily available, such as in certain areas on certain days (such as weekend) - to be honest, even a 44' class A could probably find a spot without much trouble. Nowadays with Covid, plenty of parking for all!

So then the question is - if parking is the most important thing - how important? To me, a 17' van would only be good for one night sleepover at best. Very little storage space, basically just an upgraded traveling vehicle that has some sort of commode, microwave, etc. With that small size - I'd rather just get a regular passenger or cargo van, and outfit it with a mattress, commode, portable shower, etc. More flexible and a whole lot cheaper.

I am regretting not going to B+ or even small C, myself. I find that, the normal width of a B (and the Promaster is actually nice and wide for a STANDARD vehicle body), is actually what makes ease of driving apparent, not so much length. So I would also ask yourself, what width do you want to go to? The full 8' (or the bit extra 4-6", at 100"-102", as manufacturers usually like to go to, which is technically illegal on non-interstate roads but I've never heard of anyone having an issue) is a BIG difference from 82", for example. And 82" is wide. Transit vans are less, I believe.

If I don't just sell it outright, I will probably go to the biggest B+ possible (24-25', max width), or heck, I might just go to a 26-28' C or even class A (short class As are rare though, and they do stand out a heck of a lot more than even a class C). I had a 40' class A... amazing how ever foot along the way from 21' to 40' feels though when you're inside/driving each one! (including ones I've test driven at low 30' lengths)

And don't forget like others have said, the outdoor storage is pretty much zero on a B, and even a B+ is extremely limited. If you're going to end up adding a few feet, for example, for a rear cargo rack - why not just save some and go for a very short C, right (such as the shortest ones, which I think are right around 23.5'-25').

The only other thing that factors in is gas mileage - if you get 16 MPG for a strict B vs 8-23 MPG for larger ones - does that matter? It would for me if I was driving across many states regularly, and not staying put very long. That's a huge difference in fuel economy. If you're not moving that far when traveling, or cost isn't an issue, then doesn't matter.

Also, another harsh lesson I learned on these forums after buying - the advertised fresh and grey water capacity of mine is grossly overstated by Roadtrek, and not just by the normal "we include the hot water heater in the fresh water" (which is impossible since it's an on-demand heater - ick on that decision, too, as it wastes a third gallon of water at least every time just to get it running hot again!). Another reason I would strongly consider moving to a 28' C for myself, and getting those 45-55 gallon tank sizes. (although I will say, I also have a truck camper, and it's 20 gallon tank, being a true capacity, can be made to last a good few days easily!)

The final truth of the matter - it would be nice if our RVs could transform when we needed to. Even if all of us had funds to buy 5 RVs each - the issue is you will only have ONE of them with you when you travel! So you'll never get the spaciousness of a 40' fifth wheel when camped for a few months, but the drivability and gas mileage of a 17' van when driving long distances... it can be hard to decide which is most important since plans change, too.

So I guess my final advice from my experience is, don't short-change your space/storage needs. (especially width, and outdoor storage too)
HitchNride is offline   Reply With Quote