Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2022, 04:30 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Thank you for sharing. Can you tell me the distance between the two top ends of the back support? Would like to compare to the similar ones we have which are just a tad too narrow for me.

Sounds like you have the shoulder blades right on the back support bars like I do
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:37 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Thank you for sharing. Can you tell me the distance between the two top ends of the back support? Would like to compare to the similar ones we have which are just a tad too narrow for me.

Sounds like you have the shoulder blades right on the back support bars like I do
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:44 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Yup Just an inch wider would make all the difference. And perhaps an inch n'a'half taller to support my gooseneck.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:06 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML View Post
https://kilosgear.com/products/high-back-armchair-2

KILOS High-Back Armchair 2.0

Not cheap but very compact and more comfortable than pico.
These look like they'd be small and light when packed, with potential for good comfort in use. I appreciate that the frame has no plastic parts, which always seems a very poor idea for a chair of this kind. However, with this design of chair I still can't help but wonder about all the forces coming down to that tube under the chair and how long such a chair is likely to survive. It's far less expensive than the Kermit chairs we've had for years and still use (prices for a new Kermit chair are now stratospheric ), but if this one has a good survivability rating over several years, it could be a very good second-place finisher against the Kermit - at a much better price.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 03:41 PM   #25
Platinum Member

I will also vouch for the Pico chair I own. It is a good compromise between small folding size and comfort. Note that it is definitely a compromise however.

Another chair that I am surprised not to see mentioned yet is the Travel Chair Easy Rider. It is slightly wider and more ergonomic than a typical Walmart folding chair (WFC), built of much more durable material, but actually slightly shorter when folded than a WFC. It is the only one I know of that hits this sweet spot. Most of the more premium folding chairs are dramatically heavier and bigger than a WFC and not well suited to van travel.

I have never been able to understand the use of chairs like the Kilos. They require constant abdominal muscle engagement to avoid tipping over backwards. If I wanted a workout I would just stand. I sit because I want to relax!
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:05 PM   #26
JML
Bronze Member

So far this past season the one I had worked well. I just got another one for my wife. Hopefully they will last!
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:07 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML View Post
So far this past season the one I had worked well. I just got another one for my wife. Hopefully they will last!
That KILOS chair looks comfortable, folds up very small and has neck support which to PICO or director chairs don't have. I would have sit in it as I have slung canvas like chairs with no solid arms to propel out of the chair. The PICO chair to me does feel like you might slide out.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:06 PM   #28
Platinum Member

nice chairs haven't read whole thread yet.

I'm planning to elevate the single rear sofa on my 05 pleasureway Lexor-RD chevy3500 for a tad more stowing room.
anyone here dune this?
Old 12-03-2022, 05:05 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Raising the sofa seems risky from a crash-worthiness standpoint.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:31 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
Raising the sofa seems risky from a crash-worthiness standpoint.
I should have mentioned elevate sofa 3-4" . I want to fab some slide in bins to stow stuff like folding chairs.
if the van ever was in a crash the sofa won't come flying past the cabinets.

can you explain your logic, it mite not be a good idea if you have a good argument.

I'm still using the old fashioned nylon strapped deck chairs not sure where to stow.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:13 PM   #31
Platinum Member

My jack-knife sofa/bed sits across the back of the van. My reasoning was that to raise it enough to be useful would require blocks and much longer bolts than are currently there, and that in a crash, the new bolts might not have the strength to hold. My sofa has seatbelts for two, and raising the height would affect their operation. None of this might be the case in your van.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:56 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
My jack-knife sofa/bed sits across the back of the van. My reasoning was that to raise it enough to be useful would require blocks and much longer bolts than are currently there, and that in a crash, the new bolts might not have the strength to hold. My sofa has seatbelts for two, and raising the height would affect their operation. None of this might be the case in your van.
I looked under sofa yesterday was expecting to see bolt heads didn't. the bolts that go though the floor must be welded to the sofas frame. it will take a tad more work to elevate sofa. like drilling new bolt holes still doable.

will address stuff that has priority. still want that storage room.
also considering a rear door ladder so sort of roof rack to stow chairs & other outside stuff like small grill table ect.
my van is 20' w/ limited storage for large chairs, mainly small cabinets.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:49 AM   #33
Platinum Member

If you're thinking of raising the sofa for chair storage, etc., underneath and the sofa goes across the back of the van I'm assuming you don't intend to use it for seating while in motion. If so, it might be easier to just replace the whole sofa (and any jump seats that fold down to make the bed) with a (properly built and anchored) raised platform bed?

Or, you could just go with chairs that fold up smaller?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote