Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2022, 01:48 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Need Comfortable Compact Foldup Chair

I am ready to move on from the cheap, uncomfortable, Walmart type foldup chairs. I currently store two such chairs under the rear sofa of my 2006 Roadtrek 210.

Has anyone found a chair that folds up compact enough to fit the storage area and is very comfortable?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:58 AM   #2
Bronze Member

We looked everywhere for a quality, well built chair that folded very small. This is it:

https://www.amazon.com/Front-Runner-.../dp/B00OI7HW84
Philip53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I like these, very comfortable but a bit larger folded up than the ones above.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We currently carry the GCI Pico camping chair. I think it folds up the smallest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N71DDXW...x=pico%2B&th=1

In the past we carried zero-gravity loungers and I sometimes carry this green chair which I find very comfortable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zero Gravity Lounger.jpg (360.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Camp Chair.jpg (228.6 KB, 17 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:54 AM   #5
Silver Member

Agree on choices.
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:22 AM   #6

Unsure how much room under your sofa but we’re very happy with Yeti. They fold but not very compact.
Steveva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
Platinum Member

We still love our pair of Kermit chairs. Not inexpensive, but fold up very small indeed, and they've lasted for years. They appear to have many more years of life left in them. Made in Nashville.

Oh, we got the aluminum leg extenders and we recommend them.

https://kermitchair.com/
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 04:03 PM   #8
Platinum Member

There are a few more chairs listed here: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...irs-10462.html
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

These are not for everyone, but really light and compact, and I find them very comfy as they support your back, unlike the regular right angle WM kind camping chairs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y1WTCGW

They snap together via rubber bands, and in the year we had them have not collapsed yet (I am 190lbs/6.2).

We usually find something to raise our legs up (like a campground bench) and it's very relaxing. For my wide shoulders, I wish they were an inch or so wider, but it's not bad at all.

They look and feel fragile, but that comes with the light weight, and so far they've held up well. I got two for 50 or so, not expensive.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:55 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Another vote for the Pico folding chairs. They are very comfortable, sturdy and fold up to almost the size of a large laptop computer. They aren't cheap but they are worth the money to save space in the van.

https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-C...s%2C175&sr=8-5
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:13 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Another vote for the Pico folding chairs. They are very comfortable, sturdy and fold up to almost the size of a large laptop computer. They aren't cheap but they are worth the money to save space in the van.

https://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-C...s%2C175&sr=8-5

We bought two Picos shortly after we got out van in 2008 so we could save space. The size if very nice and they do appear to be well built.

After using them for a short trip or two, we agreed they just didn't feel comfortable to us. We went back to a then relatively new pair of bag chairs that are the most comfortable foldables we have have ever sat in.

The particular problem that I have is that even though I am not a large guy, my shoulder blades always seem to be right at the point where the tubes that go up the back sides is. Pretty uncomfortable to me. The comfy chairs we like have the top of those tubes bent outward at the top so I don't hit it on them. I have tried several of the "big boy" chairs made for large folks and I don't hit the tubes on them, but they also change the sitting position, it appears, as our bottoms wind up too far from the back of seat so like a short hammock.

We still have the Picos and they are like new AFAIK, although the bags are long gone because they were a pain to use.

If anyone wants them how does $50 for the pair sound? Pickup in Minnesota, and probably could ship but wouldn't be inexpensive, I think.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 05:31 PM   #12
Silver Member

I bought these Moon Lence chairs. They fold up tiny, and the adjustable legs make sitting on uneven terrain comfortable. On even ground, I favor setting the front legs shorter than the rear so that I can sit more upright.

2002 Great West Van Classic built on 360ci Dodge 3500 Ram Van
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:58 PM   #13
JML
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I am ready to move on from the cheap, uncomfortable, Walmart type foldup chairs. I currently store two such chairs under the rear sofa of my 2006 Roadtrek 210.

Has anyone found a chair that folds up compact enough to fit the storage area and is very comfortable?
https://kilosgear.com/products/high-back-armchair-2

KILOS High-Back Armchair 2.0

Not cheap but very compact and more comfortable than pico.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:09 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Default Camp chairs

We've been using Pico chairs for the last couple of years. They told to about the size of a large laptop case and are quite comfortable. Expensive though.
Dja06422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:34 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post

One of the upright chairs, but just another option. A friend got a chair like this, and it was easy to carry.
https://www.amazon.com/iClimb-Compac...83560&hvpos=&h
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:39 PM   #16

Several years ago we bought a couple of
Gci Outdoor Bi-Fold Slim Event Chairs

that have served us well. We've found them more comfortable than the bag chairs and with the ability to fold in the middle, they don't take up much space. They are sturdy, seem to be built well and have shown little wear over the years.

Be forewarned however, you sit closer to the ground than many camp chairs. Older folks may have trouble getting out of them.

They sell for about $60.

karl
karlstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:33 PM   #17
Platinum Member

We have a pair of the Yeti Trailhead folding chairs that, from their price, appear to have gold inlays somewhere. They are quite comfortable with an Aeron desk chair kind of feel (hence the Herman Miller-like price). They fold to a size that fits easily under our couch at the rear of the van. We don't leave them unattended.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:02 PM   #18
Bronze Member

I am another vote for the Pico chair. I think they provide the best combination of comfort and storage volume for use in a B van.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:00 PM   #19
Platinum Member

We, too, were tired of the replace-annually Walmart chairs. We started a couple of years ago "auditioning" candidates - - chairs owned by fellow campers we met during our travels. This past year a modification to our Class B storage space provided additional opportunities - - although still limited on space. The chairs we settled on are strong, acceptably comfortable, and have a surprisingly small folded footprint (volume). Further, after a little 'experimentation', these chairs can be opened and closed essentially instantaneously - - "no assembly required".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:20 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerstg View Post
I bought these Moon Lence chairs. They fold up tiny, and the adjustable legs make sitting on uneven terrain comfortable. On even ground, I favor setting the front legs shorter than the rear so that I can sit more upright.
Thank you for sharing. Can you tell me the distance between the two top ends of the back support? Would like to compare to the similar ones we have which are just a tad too narrow for me.