Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 10:29 PM   #1

Default Need generator advice.......

I have a 2003 Pleasureway excel with an Oman 2k generator. Now when dry camping and trying to run my A/C with the generator, it runs for about an hour then shuts down. A had a generator service done 6 months back, but the generator consistently stalls out. The AC runs fine when on campground 120 volt. And I have plenty of gas in the camper gas tank. Any idea as to what the problem might be?thanks for any tips!
geneinmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Is it possible that you are turning too many other electrical devices at the same time the AC is on?

The AC takes a lot of current, especially when starting up, so maybe after it has been running a while, if you turns something else on such as a kettle, hair dryer, etc., then the next time the AC starts up, it might kick out the the breaker on the Onan (It has its own breaker right down on the unit.

Although if that were to happen, I would have that the Onan engine would keep running but just not put out any power - not sure about that though! Otherwise it could be a problem totally unrelated to the electrical load. carb? ignition? propane pressure (if running on propane) gennie oil level?

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:21 AM   #3

Oil level was ok.......no other electrical devices were on....been baffling to me....
Old 07-22-2019, 01:45 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneinmurphy View Post
I have a 2003 Pleasureway excel with an Oman 2k generator. Now when dry camping and trying to run my A/C with the generator, it runs for about an hour then shuts down. A had a generator service done 6 months back, but the generator consistently stalls out. The AC runs fine when on campground 120 volt. And I have plenty of gas in the camper gas tank. Any idea as to what the problem might be?thanks for any tips!
IIRC, some members have reported this symptom and resolved it by replacing the fuel pump.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #5

I will check it out.....thanks...
Old 07-25-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
IIRC, some members have reported this symptom and resolved it by replacing the fuel pump.
I wrecked my fuel pump by adding additives in my tank. Stopped using them, and no problems since. And remember, the more you run it, the better it runs. At least 2 hours per month, under 50% load is recommended by Onan.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDavisHouston View Post
I wrecked my fuel pump by adding additives in my tank. Stopped using them, and no problems since. And remember, the more you run it, the better it runs. At least 2 hours per month, under 50% load is recommended by Onan.

What additives were you using? There has been enough Seafoam and other cleaner/preservative additives used over the years in these Onans to float the Titanic, without issue, from all I have heard.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
What additives were you using? There has been enough Seafoam and other cleaner/preservative additives used over the years in these Onans to float the Titanic, without issue, from all I have heard.
I was using Techron Injector Cleaner. I'm using nothing now, and running perfect.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDavisHouston View Post
I was using Techron Injector Cleaner. I'm using nothing now, and running perfect.
How did you determine it was the Cleaner that damaged the fuel pump?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Just an educated guess. The pump actually dissolved from the inside out within 20 hours of use. I use fuel exclusively from Pilot / Flying J. I'm now at 136,000 miles, 150 Generator Hours, and no fuel issues other than this incident.
JimDavisHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneinmurphy View Post
I would suspect in random order:

- Starting Amp draw of the AC unit when warm after a while.
An AC compressor is more difficult to start when it has just been running and is still under pressure. That's why the thermostat typically prevents 'short-cycling' or the AC control unit itself will prevent short-cycling. It could be that this higher amp draw causes the generator to stall out.. Does the Generator always stall when the compressor is trying to kick in again?

- Heating up of engine causing lower horsepower output which stalls the generator when the AC kicks in again. Possible causes are: dirt in carburettor, causing the engine to run lean, which causes it to run hot, which causes it to either loose horsepower, or increased friction.
- Hot engine causing 'boiling' of fuel in carburettor bowl.. causing bubbles in fuel supply and therefore stalling.
- Hot engine causing electronics to overheat. Possibly the ingition system (coil) is affected by engine heat which causes it to loose spark power and lower engine output, which cuases a stall when the AC kicks in?

Etc. etc..
It would be good to know how the Generator stalls (when the AC kicks in or during running of AC?.. Does it start running rougher, or just dies all of a sudden.. Any problems with restarting once it stopped running? Does it need to cool down first before you can restart it?

Possibly running some seafoam through the fuel will help if a dirty carb was causing this behavior... It did on mine
henknoordermeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #12

Sounds like a fuel pump issue to. My Onan 2800 would not run longer than 25 minutes. I dropped the generator and installed a new fuel pump. Solved the problem.
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:07 PM   #13

Default Generator follow up....

Andy....any suggestions as to where I can go to get this done? Can Camping World do this?
Old 07-28-2019, 09:25 PM   #14

Default Generator fuel pump replacement

I am sure that they could.
I have never used them. I helped my local RV tech do the fuel pump replacement in my 2007 Pleasure Way Excel about a month ago. Not difficult to do, but a but tedious in 100° weather. Cost was about $400 which included the fuel pump and some miscellaneous parts. The Onan dealer had quoted over $1000 !. I had already cleaned the carburetor with Seafoam and changed air filter and sparkplug on my own.
Send me your email address and I will send you some video of my symptoms and some photos of the repair.

AndyB
Old 07-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #15
Gold Member

It may well be the fuel pump (it was in my case), but before you spend the bucks check it out first. This is easy to do. Disconnect the fuel line hose at the carb and plug it (dont want to spray gas all over the place!). Set up a jerry can higher than the generator and a syphon hose to the carburettor. Make sure you "prime" the hose so fuel is available at the carb. Start the generator and the A/C and see if it keeps running. If it runs without quitting then the problem must be the fuel pump. My $0.02
Old 07-28-2019, 10:35 PM   #16

Totally agree. Easy to do and will definitely let you know if it's a fuel issue or a fuel pump issue
Old 07-29-2019, 03:49 AM   #17
REK

Hi Jim,
I see you have a 2015 Dodge Promaster 3500 van.
May I ask if you have ever had the known issue of water drainage from windshield area
down into engine compartment?
REK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #18
Bronze Member

REK

2015 Winnebago on 2014 Ram 3500. Never had an issue, but I hear a few have. and the never mentioned what the solution was.
JimDavisHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #19
Platinum Member

With all the bad comments on Camping World Service, I would look to an RV Dealer, and one that deals with Onan Generators. Ron
Old 08-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Default Generator Starting & Running Rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
With all the bad comments on Camping World Service, I would look to an RV Dealer, and one that deals with Onan Generators. Ron
Have had no personal experience with Camping World but have seen/hear a lot of negative comments. Problem with a lot of RV dealers this time of yer is they are so busy you can't get in to get service for weeks. You might look for a business that services Gennys.

If you use your RV/Generator regularly then probably your gas is fresh enough at all times (except your never sure when you buy it).

First I had a shut-off valve installed in the Genny gas line so I could shut off the fuel any time the Genny was not being used as the biggest problems I hear about these Gennys is usually not starting or running rough is due to gumming up from stale old gas.

I regularly put Seafoam in my RV RV gas tank and since my RV is in storage from November to April each year and running the Genny regularly during storage is not possible. before storage my procedure is:

(1) Fill the RV gas tank with fresh gas after putting 2 cans of seafoam in the tank
(2) Run the Genny 10 minutes no load, 20 minutes under load, then final 10 minutes no load. Then close the gas line valve to the Genny and let it shut down due to being starve from no gas in the carburetor

Have been doing this for six (6) years and Genny "purrs" every spring when I start it up after storage
brianm142@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote