Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default need help draining coolant on 2004 chevy express

I've checked Alldata, Chilton's, and youtube and have not found how to get to the lower radiator hose on my Roadtrek which is on the 2004 chevy express 3500 chassis. Has anyone else done this and can help me find my way? I simply cannot see where the hose connects to the the radiator (which is where there is supposedly a clip that must be removed). TIA
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWonder View Post
I've checked Alldata, Chilton's, and youtube and have not found how to get to the lower radiator hose on my Roadtrek which is on the 2004 chevy express 3500 chassis. Has anyone else done this and can help me find my way? I simply cannot see where the hose connects to the the radiator (which is where there is supposedly a clip that must be removed). TIA

As you have found out, it is not easy. There is a clip on a QD connection to the radiator, similar to transmission hose clips. Removing the splash shield on the bottom can help and also removing the battery and tray to go in from the top. IIRC it is still pretty ugly and blind. It appears that many of the replacement radiators include a drain, per another member, so something to keep in mind. Our double core radiator from the previous generation with big block engine also has a drain, but requires adapting the lower hose for no QD.

The block drain is an Allen head plug by the oil filter adapter, and will be very tight if never before removed. It is also a very shallow hex and hard to keep straight.

It is a messy job for sure.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

thanks - good to know it can be done though messy
Old 06-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
As you have found out, it is not easy. There is a clip on a QD connection to the radiator, similar to transmission hose clips. Removing the splash shield on the bottom can help and also removing the battery and tray to go in from the top. IIRC it is still pretty ugly and blind. It appears that many of the replacement radiators include a drain, per another member, so something to keep in mind. Our double core radiator from the previous generation with big block engine also has a drain, but requires adapting the lower hose for no QD.

The block drain is an Allen head plug by the oil filter adapter, and will be very tight if never before removed. It is also a very shallow hex and hard to keep straight.

It is a messy job for sure.
Just to add a bit to what Booster said above, we had an e-mail conversation about the block plug a couple of years ago. Here's what he wrote then:

"Allen wrench for the block drain is 17mm. Mine is cut at .650" long, but you may need different, as the length was set so it would protrude out of my 17mm 3/8" drive socket by .280". This made it so it stuck out of the socket just about the depth of the socket in the drain plug, and was very easy to use. I then adapted with u-joint to get around the obstructions. I think I even had to adapt up to 1/2" drive initially to get the very tight plug loose."

I did the same when I drained mine and it wasn't the worst job I ever did, but does require a U-joint or a "wobble drive" extension (as I used) for the socket. And you have to find someway to cut a big 17mm Allen wrench off to get the short piece (metal chop saw) or buy a socket with a 17mm stub out of it like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Capri-To...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
That tool may need to be shortened anyway, but this can be done with any sort of grinder or even sander. This hassle is worthwhile from the standpoint of draining all the coolant, especially if you still have the factory Dexcool in it. And getting rid of the Dexcool and using another coolant is another topic to talk to Booster about.
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Very goo points from dicktill, I had forgotten about the modified allen wrench need. I think that you might be able to just remove the oil filter adapter to get clearance, also. It probably has reusable oring or other rubber seals.

I surely would agree that the discussions about the merits, or de-merits, of Dexcool can be quite "interesting".
Old 06-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The advice offered is greatly appreciated! I had wondered if getting to the lower hose from above was an option. I think that may be my best bet.

You know, part of the appeal of this Roadtrek had been its Chevy chassis. I had thought it'd be easy to work on... but not so much really...
Old 06-16-2019, 01:07 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I don't think that the Chevy is any worse than other vans, but vans are definitely worse than cars in getting to things. Proprietary clips, QD's etc are the norm these days. Once you know the, somewhat odd sometimes, steps most are quite doable. A factory service manual is a huge help in these jobs in seeing how it all goes together and where all the hidden clips are. Expensive , yes, worth it, even more IMO.

Try ebay foe a used manual for your van. Probably under $100. I got one for my 1996 Buick Roadmaster about 5 years ago for $75.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:23 PM   #8
Platinum Member

thanks again my friend for the most helpful advice