Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2020, 03:01 AM   #1

Default Need help identifying a Roadtrek plumbing part

Hello there:
I have an extremely tiny leak coming out of our Roadtrek's Sureflo water pump. I think it's coming from the brass three-way fitting, itself. Either that, or the connection to the water pump. The brass piece has a valve on it. I don't know what it is called, which is the purpose of this post. I'd post a photo of it, but I don't have a URL for the photo.

I know I'm not being very helpful here. But, am I helpful enough that one of you out there can help me?
ChristianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Take a picture with your cell phone and up load to this topic through the "go advanced" option below the message.
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member

From your description, I am guessing that the three way valve you describe is just so you can switch the pump's intake so that instead of drawing from the fresh water tank, it would draw via a short hose stuck into a jug of plumbing antifreeze for winterization.

If so, and if you cannot tighten things to stop the leak, (Maybe the plastic hose barb fitting that screws onto the pump is cracked?) these parts are not unique to Roadtrek and likely can be had at any RV parts store. Shurflo pumps are probably the most common pump in all types of RV's.

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #4

That's exactly what I am talking about! I physically can hand-tighten it more onto the plastic barb, but I'm not sure if I should. Should I hand-tighten it as much as I can?
And if I do crack it, are you saying I can replace the plastic barb without having to replace the entire pump?
As it happens, I actually have an extra pump. But replacing it looks like it could be a challenge, given the small space.

Thank you so much for your help.
ChristianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Yes, the screw on plastic hose barb fittings that go on both sides of the pump are readily available it any decent RV store - both straight and 90 degree styles.

They really should not need to be more than hand tight to ensure a leak proof seal.

In our Pleasure-Way van, we don't even have that three way valve. I just have a short hose with the same fitting on it so whenever I want to winterise, I just undo the suction line and replace with the hose I use for antifreeze.

I forget what sort of sealing washer is th the screw on fitting - maybe it is damaged?

As well, you likely have a water filter on the intake side of the pump - if so, anything loose or cracked there?

I would think a leak would be much more likely on teh pressure side of the pump, but who knows!

If it is a very small leak, not easy to track down, I would dry all components very well, then with a flashlight - and maybe feeling around with your dry fingers, feel around to pinpoint the source.

I suppose it is even possible that the pump diaphragm chambers held together with screws might be the source of a leak?

All hose clamps tight?

Brian.

I would ha
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:25 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have had small leaks on my roadtrek also,I was recommended to use plumbers tape on all the fittings, and it really fixed a lot of the leak issues I had, when using the tape, it was important as you said earlier, not to over tighten, hope this helps,,take care,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:35 PM   #7

Default Plumbing leak

We have a Roadtrek as well, but have not had the problem you describe. However, we did have a similar problem with our home's tankless water heater. If I understand you correctly, you have a brass fitting mating with PVC. Our problem was that over time the water flowing through that connection corroded the brass from within. I replaced the brass fitting with threaded PVC and still had a leak. I could not safely tighten it any further, and teflon tape did not help. I finally used Loctite tape (they call it Loctite GO 2 wrap) on the outside of the junction and that seems to be working. I just did it recently, and the junction is not under pressure, so I can't be sure it would solve your problem, but it might be worth a try.
Austinrt is offline   Reply With Quote