Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2018, 11:58 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Need Magnet Advice

Wow...I didn't realize how expensive magnets are...I am looking for magnets to use to hang a bug screen across the slider and rear van doors. I was thinking of using a lot of them...until I started pricing them.

I found the following on Amazon: Unbreakable Plastic-Coated N52 Neodymium Disc Magnets, Waterproof, 1.3 Inch Diameter, 1/8 Inch Thick. $20 5-Pack...they are $4 per magnet

Anyone using magnets in their campers for window covering and/or bug nets? Do I need coated magnets to avoid rusting? Would it be better to use magnet tape, strips or Velcro?
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:24 AM   #2
Platinum Member

There are a number of magnet sellers on eBay who sell tons of neodymium magnets, at much lower cost than you report (less than 50 cents each). Home Depot has a good selection of similar magnets, a little more expensive. We use these to hold screens over our front windows. I don't think you need to get any kind of coating. I don't think magnets rust, and I would think they are all waterproof. Velcro is not a bad idea either. Many commercially converted vans use Velcro, but it's a lot more work to do a good job.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:08 AM   #3
Platinum Member

In Walmart Sewing Section, they have Strips and Rolls of Magnets....we used it years back.....used a glue gun and it worked fine! Ron
Old 11-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Need magnet advice?! Here's some advice from a neodymium addict:

-- They are worth every penny, and then some

-- You can never have too many of them

Examples of how I've used them:

(1) Neodyms holding items on our two rear wall pockets:

(2) Several neodyms help to secure my DIY awning screen to the side of our van to prevent gaps; there's also a neodym ingress/egress opening down the middle of it which is hard to see in this photo (instructions here):

(3) I also sewed a rear door screen which is held on by -- you guessed it -- neodyms (instructions here):

(4) Front office work area, swiveling cab seat, Lagun table, and plenty of neodyms on the org board and Container Store wall pocket:

(5) Neodyms on the magnetic organizer board I installed on the wet bath wall behind our driver's seat (instructions here):

(6) Neodyms holding on our solar side shroud (greatly helps to reject heat load during full-sun hot weather; instructions here):

(7) Neodyms holding the little cab window sun shade that I sewed (2006 Sprinter - sun visor does not swivel):

(eight) Heck, while boondocking for weeks at a time, I even use neodyms to hold wet laundry to the exterior side of the van so that it can dry (under the awning when there's a chance of showers):

Fold all of your magnetized items (screens, shrouds, window covers, etc.) neatly so that all neodyms stick together in an orderly fashion; otherwise, you'll end up with a tangled, sticky mess.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Excellent Blog!!!!

Is the 8 mm x 4 mm sized neodymium magnet the best size for a bug screen (5'x6') that is heavy duty and coated (pet grade)?

Any suggestions on the price point I should try to find for this size?
Old 11-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Buy a Magic Screen from Amazon. Use Velcro around the edges.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:23 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Buy a Magic Screen from Amazon. Use Velcro around the edges.
I bought Phifer Black Pet Screen from the Home Depot:
7-Times stronger than regular insect screening
Pet, puncture and tear resistant
Ideal for areas exposed to heavy wear or potential damage

I planned to use coated magnets...until I realized how expensive they are so now I am looking into Velcro and maybe not used the more expensive coated magnets.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I suggest buying a number of sizes and experimenting with them for your applications.

Whatever the size, I will tell you that the thin ones will break even if they are well-made. I always go for stout aspect ratios (e.g., 6 mm x 3 mm).

Be careful with cheap imported magnets. Some of them crumble.

Also, always keep out of reach of children and pets. They can easily be fatal if more than one are swallowed because they perforate intestines in their efforts to reach and stick to one another.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
Gold Member

We bought these which worked out well for a bug screen that deploys across the back door. They are the super-strong magnets encased in a plastic envelope that makes for easier sewing. They are made for use as clasps for purses and other garments.

10 Sets Magnetic Snap 13mm 15mm 18mm 20mm Sew in PVC Hidden Purse Closure Fastener

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0180TN3ZQ..._sxz8BbCF9ZAP6

We’ve used velcro in the past but it hasn’t worked out. The summer heat degrades the adhesive and it fails, making a mess.
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaDreamin View Post
We bought these which worked out well for a bug screen that deploys across the back door. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0180TN3ZQ..._sxz8BbCF9ZAP6 We’ve used velcro in the past but it hasn’t worked out. The summer heat degrades the adhesive and it fails, making a mess.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:56 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver2017 View Post
I bought Phifer Black Pet Screen from the Home Depot:
7-Times stronger than regular insect screening
Pet, puncture and tear resistant
Ideal for areas exposed to heavy wear or potential damage

I planned to use coated magnets...until I realized how expensive they are so now I am looking into Velcro and maybe not used the more expensive coated magnets.
And I used noseeum screen. I simply cut the screen from the Magic Screen and replaced it with the new. Cover the center magnet strips with new binding over the old. If you try to disassemble the strip, you’ll never get it back together. DAMHIKT.

I used industrial strength adhesive Velcro across the top, good to about 150°, IIRC. I also used ~6” of it on each bottom outside edge. With the screen belt taut top to bottom, the sides could be held with magnets.

I buy high quality magnets from Lee Valley.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:42 PM   #12
g1g
Platinum Member

Harbor Freight has neodymium magnets but they are so small I wouldn't recommend them but they do have a magnetic strip about a foot long that you can hang tools on and I have even gotten a couple with their free coupons with purchase
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
Silver Member

Stop in a Lowe's or Home Depot. I have a dozen 2" diameter with hooks. The few dollars are well worth it!
Most Velcro glue melts in the heat. 3M Scotch Extreme makes a product that handles the heat.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #14

Default Strong magnets!

I salvage neodymium magnets from old hard drives, as I take them apart to physically destroy the platters to guarantee no data leakage.

I've used these for so many different uses I've lost count.
They're free if you have a source of old drives. If you know anyone who is disposing of an old computer you can offer to securely wipe their data for the price of keeping the magnets.

A great source of magnets is K & J Magnetics. Huge variety and good prices.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Ron
rontaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:16 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I also put up 3 strip magnets to hold my cooking knives when I'm camped for longer than a day. Gets them out of the silverware drawer.
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:50 PM   #16
Platinum Member

My wife made all of our screens for our sprinter and we used N42 magnets which were around 1/2 inch in diameter and about 1/16" thick. We got 100 of them for around $25 (free shipping too) from CMS magnetics. They run specials and sometimes if you buy enough, you can get them for .10 to .15 cents each. She stitched them in the hem of the screens.

I think their website was magnets4sale.com

This was over 5 years ago.

Good luck.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:07 AM   #17
Platinum Member

I just bought magnets from the local hardware store. They weren't expensive. Did the same thing as your wife, Hattaras Jim and sewed them in for the screens. Works great.
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:54 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Thank you for all the magnet advice! I purchased plenty of screen and magnets so now the fun begins with sewing/attaching the magnets into/onto the screen.