Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Here's the link to the actual rig I purchased,

https://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/vehicle-details/f22d7e5afa634d388dbeffb59e9eb708

As for quality, I think it's pretty nice.

On suspension upgrade, there's three parts to this.

1. Koni FSD ( Frequency Selective Dampening) to better control the up and down motion...

2. Roadmaster sway bar replacement for the original equipment... goes from 1 inch to a 1 3/8 inch.. I'm told that each 1/8 is a 30 percent increase in control and stability.

3. Super Steer ....the company I'm getting the parts from in Grants Pass, Oregon has been in business since 1961 solving issues for people driving large vehicles including RVs and doing a lot of research .. they manufactured a tracking bar that bolts onto the frame and keeps the vehicle from "tail wagging" in heavy winds....

You might want to give the Super Steer folks a call... they have an 800 number...

Yes, it's all expensive.. my RV shop is going to do the work...$3,100... I figured it's better to have control ...an accident in an almost 10 foot vehicle is definitely not a good idea..... plus, we have the 23 foot platform with the 170 wheelbase.. I get a lot of shimmy in the back with the generator behind the rear axle .. even with the dual wheels.

Can't take it with you...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Nice 5 year old van at the time you bought, low mileage Sprinter for a great price. You could drive this a few years and not loose a bunch of money on too if you choose.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Default 2012 Sprinter RS Adventurous with upgrades

Bob,

I think so as well.... although the maintenance on the Mercedes Benz is extremely expensive....in addition to the suspension upgrade, I had a new radio/navigation system with an enhanced camera system front and rear, rear proximity sensors, solar panel system ...new tires batteries and a tire pressure monitoring system... I highly recommend that... it's very useful to know the status of the tires... with the dual wheels we have six of them... The tires looked fine when we purchased it..but, soon realized that they were 6 years old and someone told me that it was risking a tire failure....a blowout on a 23 foot by almost 7 foot wide vehicle that is almost 10 feet tall is a very precarious place to be...and we took it 11,000 miles across the USA last fall....She has just over 40,000 miles now...

The brand new RS Adventurous at the dealership with 2,600 miles...yeah, they drive them down from Canada to LA...they wanted $152,000 and that without the rear proximity sensors and tire pressure monitoring system...

The proximity sensors are custom installed right into my rear bumper.... sweet setup...

I'm hoping that these suspension upgrades is the last "major thing".... I have about $103 k invested in the coach so far.....
Old 05-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Here's the link to the actual rig I purchased,

https://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/...beffb59e9eb708

As for quality, I think it's pretty nice.

On suspension upgrade, there's three parts to this.

1. Koni FSD ( Frequency Selective Dampening) to better control the up and down motion...

2. Roadmaster sway bar replacement for the original equipment... goes from 1 inch to a 1 3/8 inch.. I'm told that each 1/8 is a 30 percent increase in control and stability.

3. Super Steer ....the company I'm getting the parts from in Grants Pass, Oregon has been in business since 1961 solving issues for people driving large vehicles including RVs and doing a lot of research .. they manufactured a tracking bar that bolts onto the frame and keeps the vehicle from "tail wagging" in heavy winds....

You might want to give the Super Steer folks a call... they have an 800 number...

Yes, it's all expensive.. my RV shop is going to do the work...$3,100... I figured it's better to have control ...an accident in an almost 10 foot vehicle is definitely not a good idea..... plus, we have the 23 foot platform with the 170 wheelbase.. I get a lot of shimmy in the back with the generator behind the rear axle .. even with the dual wheels.

Can't take it with you...
What SuperSteer product are you having installed? I looked at the SuperSteer web pages and only listings for Sprinter 2500/3500 are shocks, ShumoSprings and rear sway bars.

I've never heard of a product to modify the front steering system like SuperSteer Trac Bars for a Sprinter. The Sprinter has a rack-and-pinion steering system.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:59 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Boxster 1971;

NO, you're correct..I'm not doing anything to change the front suspension, just replacing the front shocks with the KONI FSD....the modifications are all in the back with the sway bar and track bar....
Old 05-08-2018, 11:07 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Boxster1971:;

One more thing...I asked Super Steer about adding the Sumo Springs..they talked me out of it...said that on my Sprinter van it would make the ride too rough.... apparently, these guys know what they are talking about.... they didn't want to sell me something that wouldn't have worked.....
Old 05-09-2018, 12:28 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Boxster1971:;

One more thing...I asked Super Steer about adding the Sumo Springs..they talked me out of it...said that on my Sprinter van it would make the ride too rough.... apparently, these guys know what they are talking about.... they didn't want to sell me something that wouldn't have worked.....

Thanks for the clarification on steering and extra info on SumoSprings.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 05-09-2018, 01:42 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMundt View Post
I'm open to any and all ideas.

Regarding the RVIA - they are complicit in hiding the quality issues that exist in the manufacturing of RVs. From what I understand, the board of the RVIA has 2 people from the top manufacturers on it.
It's an industry association. Of course it has directors from manufacturers. The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Board of Directors

Quote:
The RVIA sells the manufacturers the approved seal that goes on all RVs..it says the RV was built to a particular standard, but nobody has access to the standard.
You can purchase them on the RVIA website @ https://my.rvia.org/store

Quote:
In my opinion, RVIA is part of the problem.

I like the ideas of meet ups.

One thing that I believe would be great is if the organization was involved in developing RV parks. If membership was big enough, the development could be funded by the organization which would make the parks debt free when they were done.

So the park fees would only need to be high enough to support on site personnel and maintenance.

The reason there aren't many parks being built is because it isn't economically feasible.

The Return on Investment is 15 years and no investor is going to invest there when there are so many other options unless they can charge over $100 per night.
In this you are 100% correct, it's a large investment with a slow, long term return. And when it's paid off there likely needs to be large reinvestment to keep it modern, or let it run down.

Quote:
And what RVer wants to pay more than $100 per night?
No one, but I might pay a bit more for actual privacy and perhaps more services.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote