Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2020, 11:43 PM   #1

Default Neil Balthaser -- Ultramobility

Anyone know what has become of Neil Balthaser's Ultramobility YouTube channel? As of 12/6/19 Neil had over 47,000 subscribers to an excellent YouTube Class B review channel. No videos posted since that date.
Tell Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:03 AM   #2
Platinum Member

A while back he said he lost access to reviewing models on a local rv dealers lot that left him less models to review. Then later cryptically mentioned his channel was going in a new direction and that he had a technical assistant to make his videos better. However, the few "at home" videos he posted later were not particularly well done and audio was poor in spots so it seems he did better quality video on his own.

I don't have all the facts and don't claim the above to be 100% correct either. It's just my recollection of his last few videos before he stopped regularly posting. As a subscriber, I hope he comes back with models reviews like the ones when his youtube channel started because there's a lot of new models that have come out recently and more on the way.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:52 AM   #3
Bronze Member

I’ve been missing Neil’s reviews too. Maybe the dealers got miffed with his honesty! [emoji6]
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:34 AM   #4
Silver Member

I too have missed Neil's work. I hope everything is alright.
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
I’ve been missing Neil’s reviews too. Maybe the dealers got miffed with his honesty! [emoji6]
Neil said he was given the old "my insurance won't cover it" line by the dealership. I don't remember him doing many driving reviews, so it was probably just an excuse. And yes, maybe the dealer and/or manufacturers didn't like his reviews (which I thought were very fair and perhaps even a bit too forgiving at times).

It always cracked me up whenever he videoed himself sitting in the driver's seat or on the toilet to show what room was available. He always looked frozen and stiff. But I appreciated that he'd use himself for reference.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:48 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Neil is one of the reviewers I rely on and I miss his designer’s eye for the simple, elegant solutions. He’s almost convinced me that Pleasure-Way has the best design ethic in not relying on a plethora of gadgets. I’m hoping they’ll consider a 4x4 or AWD version but could probably make do with a Lexor on a FWD ProMaster. PW could kick their insulation up a notch to keep pace with the Coachmen Beyond. JMO.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:21 AM   #7
Gold Member

The rep from PW that I talked to at the Tampa show said that they plan to standardize on AWD Ecoboost Transits for OnTour once they can get the 2020 chassis from Ford. I think he said we should see that by May or June.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWoods View Post
The rep from PW that I talked to at the Tampa show said that they plan to standardize on AWD Ecoboost Transits for OnTour once they can get the 2020 chassis from Ford. I think he said we should see that by May or June.
I've read some good road test reviews on the ride and handling of the new Transit. New options and safety features should make it a good choice over the Sprinter and potential diesel emmisions problems. Plus, the Ecoboost whould be the most powerful engine out there.

If PW will install awning-style windows you can open in the rain, they should have a winner.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:58 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I've read some good road test reviews on the ride and handling of the new Transit. New options and safety features should make it a good choice over the Sprinter and potential diesel emmisions problems. Plus, the Ecoboost whould be the most powerful engine out there.

If PW will install awning-style windows you can open in the rain, they should have a winner.
I just looked at a PW Ontour 2.0 at the Maryland RV Show. It had this CR Laurence awning-style windows in rear corners:
FW294R - CRL 2015+ OEM Design 'All-Glass' Look Ford Transit Passenger's Side Rear Quarter Window for 148" Standard Body ONLY Medium and High Top Vans

Here is link to more photos from dealer who had one at the show.
https://www.beckleysrvs.com/product/...t-0-1170172-13

Unfortunately PW can't use those windows on the larger Ontour 2.2 because the Ford windows are different on the Long EXT body.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:53 AM   #10
Platinum Member

The hardest thing about buying a class b used to be justifying their high cost.

With all the new offerings on the way, now the hardest thing may be deciding among the many choices out there today.

The first is a bad problem, but the second is a good problem.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:17 PM   #11

Default Neil

Strange that someone with so many followers would just disappear. He introduced me to Class B vans and I decided on a PW mostly because of his reviews. Hope to find out what happened at some point.
avery1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #12

It is worrisome that he literally disappeared. No posts, twitter, no videos, no goodbye, no anything for more than 4 months. I tried to search for info but can find absolutely nothing. If he quit, you think he would at least say something to his subscribers. I hope nothing happened to his health.
Tim Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
It is worrisome that he literally disappeared. No posts, twitter, no videos, no goodbye, no anything for more than 4 months. I tried to search for info but can find absolutely nothing. If he quit, you think he would at least say something to his subscribers. I hope nothing happened to his health.
There were some clues in the first part of this video posted in Nov 2019. Maybe things he was changing didn't go as planned.

https://youtu.be/VVkCHY0h12U
Old 04-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #14

Not sure either, loved his videos.

I think something may have happened to him, illness maybe?
His company Intellogo Inc., is also now not in existence and the domain to his website is up for sale (as of 12/2019).
Alchemic-Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemic-Beyond View Post

His company Intellogo Inc., is also now not in existence and the domain to his website is up for sale (as of 12/2019).

Welcome to the forum Alchemic-Beyond!

Don't wait four months to post again.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:03 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemic-Beyond View Post

No surprise that the Intellogo domain is available as Neil sold Intellogo in 2018 according to his LinkedIn page.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/neilbalthaser/
Old 04-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #17

Great info... maybe he's just in New Zealand campervan'g around and enjoying the good life
Alchemic-Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #18

I live in the same town the Neil did. After researching zillow.com etc etc, it looks like he sold his residence in Sept 2019 and moved out of the county. I'm hoping he is RVing all over the place now.
billgrates3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:04 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
I live in the same town the Neil did. After researching zillow.com etc etc, it looks like he sold his residence in Sept 2019 and moved out of the county. I'm hoping he is RVing all over the place now.
Welcome to the forum bill!

I know things change in a person's life, but it was strange when he just fell off youtube all of a sudden.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #20
Gold Member

He just posted this his Youtube community page Sunday:

"Hi Everyone! I’m going to be posting a live video in the next couple days. I’ll give an update on where I’ve been and what I’m planning on doing on my channel. Watch out for the live video notification. I’m looking forward to seeing you all!"

https://www.youtube.com/c/Ultramobility/community