Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

Default New and need advice class b

Hello everyone! I'm brand new here, and am just starting my search for the best rv for my dog and I to travel cross country/live in for a few months at a time. With a budget of about 17k, and what I THINK I need/want, I think I've narrowed my search down to something in the vein of a roadtrek/pleasureway. And looks like it's going to have to be between the late 90's-early 2000. Now I don't mind (even plan on it) doing interior work/remodeling, but I am by no means a mechanic, and don't want to have to become one. Is there any advice I can get on the most important things I need to be aware of/look for, or maybe there's even another direction one of you thinks I should look into. ( I really like the stealth of the van style). I really look forward to hearing opinions and advice from seasoned vets😀. Thanks!!
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard, super bunch of people here! There are people on here with some really in-depth knowledge of vehicles, engines and RV Systems. You mentioned RT as a possible choice, I recommend you check out Roadtrek Int'l, they have a listing of RT's For Sale. If you have questions, I am sure they will be answered quickly. Ron
Old 08-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I suggest that you consider a class C with your budget. A class B will probably be more unless you find one in poor shape.

Good luck in your search
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Craigslist Dallas Texas. This unit is in a RV lot about 15 miles from me.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/rv...237850249.html
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:42 PM   #5
g1g
Platinum Member

Keep your options open. decide the options you want, what would be nice and others you may not want. Shop for the best you can find based on that. Keep in mind it is worse if the vehicle breaks down in the middle of nowhere compared to a stove that doesn't work. but on the other hand major things like generator, ac or refrigerator can be expensive.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #6

I just went through what your about to embark on. I’m in my first month of ownership. I’m a person who is mechanically minded and in my rush to purchase still ended up costing me hundreds extra. If I had any advice for you it would be. Whoever you consider buying from weather it private sale of dealership, remember they are trying to rid themselves of their present RV for multiple reasons. either it’s to small, to old, tired of issues or want to trade up and can’t get any trade in value so are looking for cash.
There are several major items that need close attention. Remember there are owners who understand the value of maintenance and are religious at oil changes, exhaust systems, front end parts, drive trains, cosmetic issues, component options function, etc. The previous owners who keep maintenance records of every expense of maintenance work is key. These folks are aware of the necessity of caring for a high dollar investment and are more aware of up and coming expenses which are by the way inevitable. So what do you do?!
• Ask to see maintenance records. (there should be a thick binder of them, if not, you starting to see)
• How many owners have enjoyed the RV (less the better but remember you can’t own these without investing)
• Make sure there is a user manual. (without it you’re up the creek without a paddle)
• Go through every option with the seller (AC, Generator, appliances, hot water, bathroom, shower, lights, etc.)
• Fill all the holding tanks and look for leaks. (These are notorious for springing a leaks)
• Check the certification on the propane tank. (have them recertify if necessary)
• Test drive at highway speeds. (get a feel for the power for climbing hills or lack of if you decide to pull something.
These are just a few things and remember a cared for RV will show it and one that hasn’t been cared for will also show it. Good luck, Mike