Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Smile New B Purchase

Have been reading this forum for the past year or so planning exactly what we wanted in an RV. We initially started thinking LTV Unity. Nice space inside, liked the MB model as the bed could be permanently made.

Then liked the idea of a true B. Again, liked the LTV Free Spirit (no longer produced). Actually called them to see if they were planning to start production again and was told not anytime in the near future. Really would like to have one built and chatted with the folks at Advanced. Great folks. Pricey but done right. My wife finally decided that the premium price, despite the great unit build, was too much more than the discount you can get on the semi-mass produced unit. Something like $60K additional at the end of the day.

As time went on we went to a few shows and walked thru as many models as we could. Got to the point where we felt like we knew more about the offerings than the salespeople.

We went thru a PW-Ascent and RT Agile. We were actually surprised at how similar in size it felt to the 170 wheel-base models. Not trying to say it isn't smaller and that the space isn't nice, just saying it felt open and we thought it could work for us.

We reside in downtown Tampa in a mid-rise condo bldg. We both work (699-days left as of this morning) in the city and walk to work. I also have a small motorcycle for hopping around town. We started to think.............If one of the SS Sprinter's would fit it could serve as our only vehicle (typically use our current vehicle once a week). After many measurements, calculations and tests (placing boxes on top of her X3 to the height of the SS with a 4" buffer and everything worked)

Next we tried to compare the 2 models and both had pro's and con's. Liked the kitchen location of the Ascent but this was offset somewhat by the bathroom right behind the driver making it more difficult to see out. My wife also like the bath slightly better on the Ascent. She disliked the “plush-ness” of the cushions and said the design made her feel like it was from “the 80’s”. She prefers a more Euro/Modern dιcor like the Hymer Activ.

Besides the inside design features, she also like what seemed to be more techie, power features offered with the Agile. Solar, Lithium offerings, under hood generator etc. Also liked the option of being propane-less if you choose to be. With our research I see several have had issues with this too………………

This is our first travel vehicle. Our primary goal is to travel the country, and believe we will not be in a site more than a day or two at a time before moving to the next adventure.

She decided and purchased a 2017/16(Mercedes) RT Agile with this config:

• Charcoal Out/Grey Cabinets/Interior
• 300W Solar
• 400 Lithium
• Under Hood Gen/Volt Start
• Induction Stove
• Diesel Alde System (No Propane)

Purchased out of New Jersey. Dealer seems to have good reviews and the pricing made the fly and drive option a no-brainer.

Flying up in November to drive it back.

Best Regards,
Bob

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Congratulations. Looks like you did all the research to find something that works for you.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Very good, if you want to connect with a lot of Roadtrek owners with similar vans consider joining the Roadtrek Owners Group on Facebook (not to be confused with the Roadtrek Owners and Fans group on Facebook).
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #4
Gold Member

Hearty congrats!

You're about a year ahead of us. We are much less urban than you, but we still have much in common -- torn between PW and RT for instance; and we actually visited Advanced RV and love what they do (but cannot rationalize the cost for our budget).

I hope that after your trip you write a posting describing the plusses and minuses of your choice (I hope there are few of the latter, but one never knows). It will help those of us a little bit behind you.
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

For anyone contemplating Roadtrek feel free to join the Roadtrek Owners Group on Facebook which is open to anyone with interest in Roadtrek. This is an owners site not connected with the company and you will get info on the actual experiences of owners. Another Roadtrek Facebook group was recently renamed to "Roadtrek Owners and Fans" so there is a little confusion sometimes about the various Roadtrek groups on Facebook.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPotomac View Post
Hearty congrats!

You're about a year ahead of us. We are much less urban than you, but we still have much in common -- torn between PW and RT for instance; and we actually visited Advanced RV and love what they do (but cannot rationalize the cost for our budget).

I hope that after your trip you write a posting describing the plusses and minuses of your choice (I hope there are few of the latter, but one never knows). It will help those of us a little bit behind you.
Thx and will post. Like I mentioned this is our first. Looked and researched for more than a year. Everything is a trade-off and diff things work best depending on how you travel. Never having done this we only envision what we will do based on our likes and style.

We are quite active. We would go stir-crazy in an RV resort. Even boon-docking to us would mean possibly a 2nd overnight. Based on reading that sounded like more solar/lithium would make more sense for us........will find out soon enough if we chose the proper setup for us.

If we had to store the vehicle we would definitely have opted for the 170 wheel based Sprinter. More options for that too. Of the semi-mass built units we really liked Chinook which is built by MidWest Vans. Liked the layout and materials.

Very exciting search for us, we both like the learning and the research aspects of something new. Do as much learning as you can for the next year without making your eyes bleed from all the reading.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 09-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

Yes more is better... but also remember that we used to boondock with an 80 AH wetcell.

ps. love your spec. It is a perfect balance of new tech and functionality.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:18 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Congratulations!

Your process and selections is very similar to ours. We live in downtown Boston and plan to use an Agile as a second car with no RV storage. We are still working but plan to use it for weekends, day trip base camp, and week long vacations.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
Congratulations!

Your process and selections is very similar to ours. We live in downtown Boston and plan to use an Agile as a second car with no RV storage. We are still working but plan to use it for weekends, day trip base camp, and week long vacations.
Not sure I remember any on-street parking when I worked their a dozen years ago.

She is actually planning longer trips for us but not staying in any one spot. Day or 2-day hikes in a location then move. I know she would like to spend a summer following the tennis tour across the country as well. I am guessing every so often we find ourselves in a B&B or equivalent.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 09-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Ponti,
Interesting that your initial attraction was to LTV Free Spirit. When we were looking for a Class B last spring, we got lucky and found a pre-owned, hardly used 2010 Free Spirit (one of only 10 produced that year.) We can attest it's a great rig! We've made several updates (Navigation, LED replacement lights, new batteries and solar.) After a few weeklong trips this summer, we depart on a monthlong roadtrip to the Northwest in 2 weeks. Hope you enjoy your van as much as we do.
NAZCamperVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:58 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default New B Purchase

Brought back today from New Jersey. Biggest worry was fitting in our condo garage. Just fit. [emoji4]. She thought it was too cold but didn't take long to get back to the warmth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 11-13-2016, 12:26 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Brought back today from New Jersey. Biggest worry was fitting in our condo garage. Just fit. [emoji4]. She thought it was too cold but didn't take long to get back to the warmth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice garage mates...
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member

Lucky you... not many condos can accommodate such a tall vehicle.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Lucky you... not many condos can accommodate such a tall vehicle.

Why we went with the short WB. We only use a car once a week so this allows us to dump her car.

Also, 18.8 MPG on ride back.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 11-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Why we went with the short WB. We only use a car once a week so this allows us to dump her car.

Also, 18.8 MPG on ride back.

You have enough space in your garage to fit an XL plus a travelbox
Old 11-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Congrats, your going to love your new home. Might want to check out Hillsborough SP - it is great, and you can work the systems. Your really fortunate to get it in covered parking- that FL sun is brutal.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:14 AM   #17
Silver Member

Congrats - nice van. We just went with the same options on a RT Zion for almost exactly the same reasons - moving all the time, easy parking, boondocking friendly, and front wheel drive for our snowy weather.
• Sandstone Out/Ivory Cabinets/Interior
• 300W Solar
• 400 Lithium
• Induction Stove
• Propane Alde System

We're still working with Roadtrek / dealer to swap the Girard water heater for a Truma AquaGo Comfort Plus water heater for temp regulation comfort and freeze protection. I have some further heat tracing plans.

I'm curious what you thought of your options - like warm feet with the Alde system, and Lithium 400, 300W solar, under hood gen, induction stove for boondocking. Did you get to exercise the systems and do any boondocking?

Good choice on the induction stove. Indoor propane cooktops take forever to heat anything not to mention the condensation.

Ours hasn't been built yet so we're still waiting to even see it.

Good luck with it!
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
You have enough space in your garage to fit an XL plus a travelbox
Length-wise I definitely do but I only had ~12" of clearance around that pole.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 11-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
Congrats, your going to love your new home. Might want to check out Hillsborough SP - it is great, and you can work the systems. Your really fortunate to get it in covered parking- that FL sun is brutal.
Hillsborough SP?

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 11-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post
Congrats - nice van. We just went with the same options on a RT Zion for almost exactly the same reasons - moving all the time, easy parking, boondocking friendly, and front wheel drive for our snowy weather.
• Sandstone Out/Ivory Cabinets/Interior
• 300W Solar
• 400 Lithium
• Induction Stove
• Propane Alde System

We're still working with Roadtrek / dealer to swap the Girard water heater for a Truma AquaGo Comfort Plus water heater for temp regulation comfort and freeze protection. I have some further heat tracing plans.

I'm curious what you thought of your options - like warm feet with the Alde system, and Lithium 400, 300W solar, under hood gen, induction stove for boondocking. Did you get to exercise the systems and do any boondocking?

Good choice on the induction stove. Indoor propane cooktops take forever to heat anything not to mention the condensation.

Ours hasn't been built yet so we're still waiting to even see it.

Good luck with it!

My wife did all the research and was against propane. I did ask to many questions as she had done a lot of checking. Her preference is not to be in "campgrounds" and she thought the 400/300 would provide us flexibility. We also keep things warm in our home (air conditioner set to 80 degrees) so she suspects never being in a climate where she will need much AC but more the Diesel Alde heat. When we picked up it was about 43 degrees outside in NJ and it heated the cabin up pretty quickly.

Honestly, we gambled......we measured and believed it would fit or we would have got the full-sized B. We love living downtown and eliminating a vehicle was a huge plus and why we chose the 144 WB. Anyone was a to buy a cherry 2014 BMW X3, 35I with only 22K miles? . It goes to Carmax later in the week.

No boondocking yet. We are going to the tennis tournament in Miami this Mar and will be our first real test. Then to the keys in June. Our plan is to do a half dozen or so mini trips before we retire in ~18 months.

2017 RT Agile SS