Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #41
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
For a while Lake Region RVs in Minnesota on Facebook was publishing photos of people with their new Class Bs and small Class Cs when they picked them up. Almost to a T they all looked over 50, empty nester or retired. I think that pretty much holds true with all the forums online and especially on Facebook where you see actual people in photo after photo. Of course there are exceptions.
I would of let my dealer do this; for an exta 1K off the price. ;

I also know better than to use Facebook.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #42
Bronze Member

Wanted to answer the biggest question; how to sleep four. As can be seen in the pic, the quad captains chairs can be converted into two hammocks. Still room on the floor to sleep another. Can be setup in abou 5 min and the hammocks fit in a small bag and take up almost no space. Cost about $50 to purchase with all parts.

Xmas present to anyone else wanting to do this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (184.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 12-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #43
Silver Member

Just turned 40 two days after I picked up my 16 travato G. I travel with my wife and young son.

Two other friends also bought travatos. Both around 40.

Winnebago really found a way to attract younger buyers with this platform.

It suits my needs almost perfectly save for its Mediocre winter performance.
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplips View Post

It suits my needs almost perfectly save for its Mediocre winter performance.
You should check out FitRV.com. James has been modifying his G for winter - insulation, heated lines, etc.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
You should check out FitRV.com. James has been modifying his G for winter - insulation, heated lines, etc.
I don't see any info about this on fitrv.com.
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #46
Silver Member

Those guys are great. I am putting a game plan together now with their experiences in mind.

The biggest challenge imo is the road salt used in PA all winter long. There are many vital components under the travato that will get absolutely destroyed by constant expose to rock salt. I have a local custom shoo working with me on enclosing the underside of the van. We think we have found a method that is not too heavy, costly but should be durable enough.
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovanman View Post
I don't see any info about this on fitrv.com.
It is in the various blog entries about Lance (the name of their G).

James and Stef also have a FB page called "Winnebago Travato Owners" plus there is a FB page for FitRV. They also read/contribute to this forum.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:33 PM   #48
Platinum Member

James and Stef had modifications made by Winnebago for winter use with water lines put inside and then James did some extensive retrofitting of insulation himself. There is no one article. It is all in bits and pieces.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Eurovanman

Davyyd's right - I forgot that they had a number of mods done at the factory, including IIRC tank heating pads and moving some lines into the van. They also contribute to WinnebagoLife, so there may be some articles there, too.

Here is a link to sound deadening and insulating the cab doors

How To: Remove the Door Trim Panels from the Ram ProMaster

and one for the other doors

Getting Ready for Winter – Insulating the Travato Doors
Old 04-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #50
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88mx6 View Post
Wanted to answer the biggest question; how to sleep four. As can be seen in the pic, the quad captains chairs can be converted into two hammocks. Still room on the floor to sleep another. Can be setup in abou 5 min and the hammocks fit in a small bag and take up almost no space. Cost about $50 to purchase with all parts.
This is great information... can you give some details on what hammocks you use and how you have them secured? Great picture but I'd love the details. Does this setup depend on headrests in the 2nd row captain's seats? Era has them but most manufacturers don't use seats with headrests in that row.

This is an extremely helpful thread to me since I'm one of the somewhat younger folks with young kids who wants to try this. I just don't think we'd use a "family size" Class A, or even a smaller Class C, more than a handful of times a year. Whereas a B is nimble enough to be used for all sorts of tasks; not just annual camping trips.

On another note (and germane to this thread) has anyone else noticed how little rear storage there is in this new 70X? It's basically non-existent. Or am I missing something?
Moose1790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #51
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1790 View Post
This is great information... can you give some details on what hammocks you use and how you have them secured? Great picture but I'd love the details. Does this setup depend on headrests in the 2nd row captain's seats? Era has them but most manufacturers don't use seats with headrests in that row.

This is an extremely helpful thread to me since I'm one of the somewhat younger folks with young kids who wants to try this. I just don't think we'd use a "family size" Class A, or even a smaller Class C, more than a handful of times a year. Whereas a B is nimble enough to be used for all sorts of tasks; not just annual camping trips.

On another note (and germane to this thread) has anyone else noticed how little rear storage there is in this new 70X? It's basically non-existent. Or am I missing something?
Rear storage has been neutered in the new 170x models. What little there was before have been traded for additional drawers in the kitchen area and less side cutouts. I store my gear, hoses, leveles and chairs back there in my early 2016 170x. The new one would be able to store less than a 1/4 what I do now.

Please send me a private message and I can share my contact info to go over details of the hammock beads.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:59 AM   #52
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88mx6 View Post
Please send me a private message and I can share my contact info to go over details of the hammock beads.
PM sent. I included my email if you'd prefer to use that. It was my first attempt at a PM so let me know if I screwed it up. Thanks!
Moose1790 is offline   Reply With Quote