Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default New forum email notification of updates to subscribed threads methodology?

This is almost embarrassing to mention, but has anyone else noticed that threads they subscribe to by adding a comment, aren't sending out the instant email notifications, when someone else adds a comment? Except for the very next comment after your latest post (it seems?)?
I just noticed this message at the bottom of the email notification I received advising me of Davydd's update to the battery suggestion post. I hadn't noticed them before......however, I also wasn't aware that the thread update notification rules have changed.

"
There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Class B Forums"

Does anyone else think the old method was better at keeping up your interest in a particular topic, by notifying you in real time of any and all new comments to a subscribed thread, until you choose to unsubscribe? To be honest, I normally don't always think of going to the forum to see what's new. Maybe it's just me.
What do others think?
Old 07-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I like the fact you are notified only once about new messages in a thread until such time you visit and read. My email gets cluttered enough. The one notification should be enough to remind you to check. If each and every message came to you in email then maybe you would not bother to visit the forum and have the opportunity to respond.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I see your point, but the one and only email notification I get contains the entire text of the comment or update, so I rarely visited the forum after reading the comments in the email, anyway. Why bother logging in to read something that's already in my email inbox?

I just prefer the old method, because it emailed me for any updates to every thread I'd ever gotten involved with, and you would assume that I had some interest in, no matter how old the thread. I used to get notifications of updates to threads that hadn't been updated for years, often by forum newbies, and could offer to assist them, if their comment was a request for help, or to read their post, if they were simply adding an update about something new that was relevant to the original thread topic. Also, as new threads are added, old ones get pushed aside, and I just don't have the time, or the memory, to search for threads that have been pushed lower on the list of threads by the volume of newer material being added.

I guess I'm just the opposite about the usefulness of email inboxes. I need the reminders as they occur. Maybe it's just age....
Old 07-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

i did my best to turn these OFF. i still get them occasionaly for old threads. I don't want e-mail notifications
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I like the New Posts button. It shows you New Posts since you last visited and in a separate list it shows you threads that have New Posts you may have neglected to read in your last visit. That way you don't have to wade deep in the list to find any you might want to read. Of course you can wipe out the list if you desire if you don't intend to read them. Under the old software if you somehow missed a new post you wanted to read you did have to wade through the entire list to find them.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Like GerryM, I dislike sites that clutter my inboxes. When the switchover hare came, I found that very annoying. Took a bit to find out how to turn all that rubbish off.