Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #1

Default New Guy

Hello all, we just got an 05/ Pleasure Way Excel TD a month ago, and we just came back from a 1 1/2 week trip to NJ, I love the van , but hate how it handles it`s very hard to keep on the lane because it tends to wander, also on the way back to KC MO, it was very windy and I had several close calls. I got push on to the lane next me by the wind. I've been told to change the tires, but the van has new tires all around, also to install a steering stabilizer, that`s more reasonable, and I can do it myself. Now, is this common of this vans I don`t think I can take another round of white nuckle driving again, and wer`e planning on going to FL for Christmas. By the time we got home my hands were really hurting, I don`t want that again. So if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks for any help. Latter. Louie.

P.S. Where can I get those Smilies ? My wife likes them.
Itaricans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Guy

There are a couple other threads in this forum, concerning the handling qualities of these vehicles.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1517

Yours is a Ford, with a Twin-I-Beam front suspension. Driving a vehicle with a Twin-I-Beam suspension has always been thought of a herding more than steering.

When the bushings are in good shape, the ride height is set properly, and the alignment is correct, it should drive just fine. Sometimes a rear sway bar can help, or a stiffer front sway bar, or stiffer springs, or all of the above. Does the suspension feel mushy when you steer back-and-forth? If so, this is an indicator that you may benefit from one of the above changes.

If you have new tires on it, make sure they are at or near their max pressure. Given the weight of these B's, the tires should be Load Range E, and an "E" tire usually has a 80psi max pressure. Check the sidewall of the tire, to verify all this info.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 AM   #3

I don't mean to hi jack this thread just use it to introduce myself as a newb.
I am going to look at my first prospect for conversion to class B. I want to do one myself to customize it the way I would like.
I work on the road and will continue to live in a motel until I think it is complete enough to move into without it being a burden to live and work on the van at the same time. It is still a little cold in WA state this time of year so insulation, heat and a bed will be the first order of business along with wiring and such. it will take awhile probably a few weeks to get it far enough along to live in.

anyway ; hello all!!!

Bashmaki
Bashmaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Welcome.

Get your wiring figured out, before you do to much insulating.

Or, do the wiring as a modular addition to the wall.

Where are you, in Washington?
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #5

I was in WA. this morning MN this afternoon. Be back in WA on Monday.

OK that was the short answer.

I am home now in South Dakota. I am working in WA for the winter months. I flew home yesterday for a few days to see my family.
Bashmaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashmaki
I don't mean to hi jack this thread just use it to introduce myself as a newb.
I am going to look at my first prospect for conversion to class B. I want to do one myself to customize it the way I would like.
I work on the road and will continue to live in a motel until I think it is complete enough to move into without it being a burden to live and work on the van at the same time. It is still a little cold in WA state this time of year so insulation, heat and a bed will be the first order of business along with wiring and such. it will take awhile probably a few weeks to get it far enough along to live in.

anyway ; hello all!!!

Bashmaki

What happened to helping the guy this thread belongs too???? It's extremely rude to highjack this, or for that mater, any other thread. If you guys want to introduce yourself or talk about insulating a Class B, please start your own thread so folks can help the person that started this one! Geeezzzzz
Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum RSchleder!

You're right. There's no need to hijack threads - it's just as easy to start a new one.
I completely missed that one. Had I caught it I would have just split it off into a new topic.

The topic sort of continued here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...9&p=9451#p9451
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Platinum Member

As far as handling goes.I think people here could help better if they new what chassis you have (ie Ford,Chevy).If this is your first motorhome then you need to understand that you are not driving a car anymore.You must slow down when it is windy until you are at a speed that lets you have more control
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Thank you for the welcome, I do appreciate it.