Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2021, 09:34 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default New Headllamps for 2008 RT, + Replacement interior light

The headlamps on my 2008 RT 190 Popular (Chevy 3500) are badly scratched up making it difficult to see at night. I have checked local junk yards to no avail. I did a quick search on line but maybe I am not using the right search words as I do not see what I need.

Also one of the interior lights is broken. Any ideas on where to find that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210617_162236.jpg (207.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20210617_162258.jpg (172.5 KB, 17 views)
organize4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

amazon $86 bucks

fit 2003~2020

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine were perfect for my van

HOWEVER I bought same branded "eagle eyes" for my 2001 sierra and the headlights sent out were broken ( adjusters) or optically flawed.
I just kept returning them and amazon ate the shipping ( prime member)

it took a total of 5 to get 2 good ones for the pick up

you'll be happy to have better eyes up front

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:05 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I don't have a Roadtrek to suggest an interior light replacement. But I have a Chevy Express 3500 and I've replaced my headlights recently. They are incredibly cheap. Don't bother with junk yard replacements that are probably as weathered as your old ones.

I bought a pair of "Eagle Eyes" off Amazon. The seller is no longer listing them, but I found these: https://www.amazon.com/AmeriLite-200...rfy_rp_crs_2_t

They usually (check to be sure) come in pairs for $85 or less. Complete with bulbs. Just plug & play.

Very tight getting the old ones out. But, you only have to remove a couple of top bolts and then wiggle them up and out. Wires easily plug right in and out.

The difficulty to getting the new ones in, is the bottom tabs. I had some difficulty getting both tabs into their slots at the same time. I also had to pull on the grill and fender a bit to make the slightest fraction of extra gap for them to fit into place.

Prior to installing, I marked the vans low beam level on my garage door with tape. After the install, I used those marks to adjust the beam level.

Difficult, but not too difficult. Took me less than an hour and only a few mild curse words.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:50 AM   #4
Gold Member

I bought mine from

https://www.rockauto.com

TYC 20658100 and
TYC 20658200

2008 Chevy Roadtrek. Same style as in the pic.

Happy with the quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RT CB.jpg (531.7 KB, 20 views)
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:28 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Gotta love the Chevy Express when it comes to the price of replacement parts. I tell my wife it's one of the advantages of driving a "plumber's van".
Old 06-18-2021, 03:01 AM   #6
Gold Member

Ok, so Group B and rowiebowie either suggestion should work for me since I have a 2008 RT on a Chevy 3500 body, correct? How do I know it's an Express? I'm pretty handy bit I guess I should have someone install them. Probably not worth the aggravation to DIY.
Thanks,
Marie
Old 06-18-2021, 04:34 AM   #7
Platinum Member

so easy to replace.

I'd say mine took 20 minutes including the making the coffee part

the Chev van is called an "express" ( GMC is a Savanna) and comes in various versions 1500, 2500, 3500

Mike
Old 06-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organize4u View Post
Ok, so Group B and rowiebowie either suggestion should work for me since I have a 2008 RT on a Chevy 3500 body, correct? How do I know it's an Express?
Marie
The suggested headlights will fit your van. It was a very good idea on your part to include a picture, but yes, yours is a Chevy Express 3500. The headlights would be the same for a 1500, 2500, and 3500 since they are all the same friont end.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:36 AM   #9
Gold Member

There are 2 styles of headlights used on Express vans.

One is a composite type that is a plastic housing with 2 replaceable bulbs, low and high beam.

The other is a sealed glass beam that also houses the 2 filaments. If either fails, the unit is replaced.

I assume the type used on any particular van is related to the options included when assembled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-Express-passenger-extB2_o.jpg (137.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-chevrolet-express-3500-cars-in-johnstown-oh.jpg (121.2 KB, 11 views)
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:25 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupB View Post
There are 2 styles of headlights used on Express vans..

they posted a pic in their first post

it's the first "passenger" style common to class B's on express vans

mike
Old 06-19-2021, 04:09 AM   #11
Gold Member

Thanks Mike. What I have now is the plastic housing. So you're saying either one will work.
Marie
Old 06-19-2021, 02:28 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organize4u View Post
Thanks Mike. What I have now is the plastic housing. So you're saying either one will work.
Marie
As in my post #3 these will work: https://www.amazon.com/AmeriLite-200...rfy_rp_crs_2_t

Doesn't matter if you get them from Amazon, Rockauto, etc, you need to make sure they look like this, not the square version shown in bottom picture in post #9.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:10 PM   #13
Platinum Member

The best quality headlights are the original ones. Unfortunately OEM replacements are extremely expensive. This article highlights a few of the aftermarket brands. They highlight the TYC and Depo brand as being pretty good quality, but not as good as OEM.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-Out-with-OEM

I decided to try the Cerakote Ceramic Headlight Restoration Kit based on the reviews and guarantee, and that I am using the OEM headlights. I am generally happy with the results, but it is does not bring the headlights back to original clearness. I did this a year ago and it is holding up pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/CERAKOTE-Cera...omotive&sr=1-2

There are a lot of aftermarket headlamps available and while all of them look good on initial installation, time will tell if they hold up, especially the clear cover. I suspect some will cloud over in a few years.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
As in my post #3 these will work: Doesn't matter if you get them from Amazon, Rockauto, etc, you need to make sure they look like this, not the square version shown in bottom picture in post #9.

...as in my post #2 as well

don't over think it

amazon works best if you are a prime member

my experience with the van was excellent ( and the focus/aiming adjustment was 100% out of the box )

but for my pick up it took a total of 5 orders to get 2 which were optically correct

as someone else posted, park the van facing a wall or garage door and mark the high and low beams with tape

when you put in the new housings, use the adjusters to match your markings- if only 1 of the 2 ( high/low) lines up and the other is wacky, the lamp housing is no good, return/exchange for another

the idea of buying a lamp housing from GM for 8x the cost is silly

btw my headlights looked exactly like yours when I replaced them, the same horizontal lines which almost looked like stress cracks.

my cheepos have been in over a year, exposed to the AZ sun every day and are just fine

mike
Old 06-19-2021, 05:06 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Our 07 Chevy is probably not a good example as it sits inside almost all the time, except when we are out camping. I would expect the lenses to hold up well. We did put the urethane(?) stick on covers on the lenses when we got the van, at that point it had seen a year of sun in the dealer lot. The covers are nice as getting the bugs off is easier and the rocks don't do much to them at all. Time will tell how they do over the very long term, but we are at 13 years on them now.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:27 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Our 07 Chevy is probably not a good example as it sits inside almost all the time, except when we are out camping. I would expect the lenses to hold up well. We did put the urethane(?) stick on covers on the lenses when we got the van, at that point it had seen a year of sun in the dealer lot. The covers are nice as getting the bugs off is easier and the rocks don't do much to them at all. Time will tell how they do over the very long term, but we are at 13 years on them now.
Keeping a vehicle inside a garage, away from sun and weather, is indeed the best way to keep it looking new. Unfortunately my garage door is not 10ft high so mine sits outside 365. My headlights were much worse that the OP's picture when I changed them and my roof clear coat is quickly flaking off.

My wife's '97 Expedition, on the other hand, spent every day and night inside the garage. We owned it 22 years and it still looked new when we sold it.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:52 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Default New Headlamps for Chevy 3500 PW

Hello, I agree with the recommendation of an earlier poster, you can't go wrong in purchasing the Eagle Eye brand. I just purchased on eBay a full set, headlamps and turn signal lenses including halogen bulbs for just over $100- you can't go wrong at this price buying new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Egale Eye Lamps.jpg (114.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20210612_141801.jpg (504.3 KB, 4 views)
Santee2005PWTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Easy way out is this:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39195-Head...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:04 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Default New Headlamps for 2005 Chevy 3500 PW

I wish I could have gone the restoration route, unfortunately, I had to go the replacement route as I had a broken housing on my right side turn signal lens and the headlights where no longer water tight; had condensation clouding up the lenses; no restoration product could help at this point.
Santee2005PWTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:50 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santee2005PWTD View Post
I wish I could have gone the restoration route, unfortunately, I had to go the replacement route as I had a broken housing on my right side turn signal lens and the headlights where no longer water tight; had condensation clouding up the lenses; no restoration product could help at this point.
While I don't look forward changing my headlights every 4-5 years (just my estimate of projected life in the South Texas sun), it probably takes less time and lasts longer than doing a headlight restore using a kit. So you're probably better off.