Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2021, 09:28 PM   #1

Default New member looking right now to decide

Hello,

I just joined today and even though I am still in the decision phase of my quest to own a camper van, I need some input.

1. Since I will be alone, and my back requires me sleeping in a zero gravity chair, I don't see the need to have a regular bed in my dream van, as it would take up space and I need room for the zero gravity chair, which would easily fold up during the daytime. So, since I am hoping to find a "newer model" used van how much trouble is it to get the bed removed? I have been looking for days at available vans for sale, and none will accommodate the zero gravity chair, so I have decided, to just look for a van where I can take the bed out? But, here is my problem, I cannot do that myself? I will need to have it done, are there places I can go that will do that sort of thing?

I suppose this question is somewhat silly to some of you, but for me, this bed thing is a stumbling block. So for me, it is an important first step. I've never been inside one of these fancy custom vans, but I did live in a 32ft Airstream for a year, which was super fun, but I want to be more mobile. Which is why a camper van seems to make sense. Thank you for your time.
Smiling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I designed and pioneered the zero-gravity bed in a Class B and it was further developed by Advanced RV. ARV has built and refined several iterations of the bed since including a lazy boy chair design for one customer that couldn’t use a regular bed. My beds were based on electric articulating hospital beds with separate controls for foot, back and pillow operation. It can be done and I think other upfitters (at least one) have picked up on it.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:43 AM   #3

Davydd that’s awesome. I love it. Can you believe Advanced RV had just sold a used one with your design in it. But it had a little higher mileage than I’m comfortable with, but tomorrow I’ll contact them. Thank you for your response. That’ zero gravity saved me from having to live with a terrible back problem.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:11 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Otherwise, many class B's use a rear sofa design which converts to a bed.

Possible some of these may be unbolted and removed from the van leaving room for your "0-G" as long as they don't have any of the RV electrical or plumbing systems built in under the sofa

I "think" the winnebago era may qualify, but I could be wrong

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

If you find Advanced RVs pricing to be out of your range... plus the long wait... consider any van with the power rear sofa. It is quite easy to remove. Any general RV shop can do it, but if possible, I would keep it for resale.

If you look at a Promaster model with that sofa, it is just a bit wider, giving you space to set up your chair for your stops... for relaxing or sleeping. I had ordered the Simplicity SRT that I just sold without the rear sofa, and added twin beds in the rear. But it could easily have held your chair instead, I think. Measure your chair in the sleeping position and look at which models give you enough space.

I think this is an easy option for you. Now you need to decide what you want or need from your bed forward to the cab. The market is pretty tight right now, but keep looking.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaofsmile@gmail.com View Post
Davydd that’s awesome. I love it. Can you believe Advanced RV had just sold a used one with your design in it. But it had a little higher mileage than I’m comfortable with, but tomorrow I’ll contact them. Thank you for your response. That’ zero gravity saved me from having to live with a terrible back problem.
It may have been mine. I traded it in last May and we had 95,000 miles on it in 6 years. Now I am off on a new ARV van of my complete custom design on a new tack—bunk beds like a train Pullman on a 5 ft shorter van attempting to get everything I had before in it.

Their website gallery of vans are chockfull of other examples of articulating beds. I have to assume they have refined the builds since my first.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:31 PM   #7

Mumkin, Thank you for the help, I have time, as I am just now beginning to arrange my world to be able to embark on a new path. I want to gather as much information ahead of time and when the time comes I will be ready to take this new adventure on.

I am looking at so many custom vans and learning so much. If I can get this bed situation worked out, it will not only be safeguarding my back, but adding additional space too. Thank you so much
Old 10-05-2021, 07:08 PM   #8

Davydd, the van on ARV was called Dottie, if it was yours, it was very nice. I have two main "must haves" 1. z-g bed and 2. macerator and black water disposal system. And I don't need addition rows of seating. That would take up extra space I can use for storing things, which I see more important that a few extra chairs. Those two swivel chairs in the driving area will be fine. I have literally spent hours upon end going through so many sites looking at different layouts, what fun this is. I haven't starting in the buying mode yet, looking at selling my lake house right now, and it's a buyers market so, that is my next move, then on to buying the camper van. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Our van was named Alvar. It is the first van in their Gallery page. They listed it for sale last May but I don’t see it there now. I don’t know the status of it.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Default Sportsmobile

If you have time, another option is a custom up fitter like Sportsmobile. I would expect at least a year lead time, but they can setup basically any floor plan you like. They have standard components and can put in a custom chair.

Their quality is great, but I'd expect long lead times these days.
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:00 AM   #11
Silver Member

We have the Solis Winnebago with the Murphy bed. Just wondering if the bed is up against the wall is there enough space for your chair? They make the Solis now without the pop top now since there is only 1 of you. Just might be an option. Best of everything!
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:26 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Anna, perhaps consider a floorplan with twin beds. Remove one bed to accomodate your Z-G chair. Use the other for lounging, storage, etc.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:27 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Anna!

The Winnebago Travato 59G has a rear bed that folds up out of the way. You can get a macerator added to most class b's.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote