Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default New Order

After a small break from B ownership, I placed a order for a new Bounder. After 2 Travatos and 2 Sprinter based units I decided to try a Transit base unit.

AND, kinda un related….I HATE FB, so I intend to be more active here again!
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Congratulations, why the Transit?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:05 PM   #3
Silver Member

The Promaster just felt a little lightly built to me. One Sprinter went Limp home N of Minot ND, made a slow trip to Minot & found the Dodge dealer wasn’t a Sprinter dealer any longer, but had the scanner and sensor I needed. Next time I was between Roswell & Lubbock, found the nearest dealer was Dallas. That problem and that Sprinter both left. The next Sprinter went into Limp Home mode headed S from Cartwright Labrador, nearest dealer was Halifax NS, or St John Newfound Land. Drove it to the ferry at Blanc-Sablon to troubleshoot, the hose had come out from under the clamp in one little place so it saw low boost. Then there was the tail light.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Can I presume the Tail Light was the start of more issues?

Are you going to lift the Transit?

I do know that my favourite lift company, WELDTEC DESIGNS in CA, have no interest in doing anything for the Promaster as of today but do lift Transits.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 11-14-2021, 11:06 PM   #5
Silver Member

Don’t know yet if we’ll lift it or not, nearing 80, our adventure spirt has kinda diminished.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
After a small break from B ownership, I placed a order for a new Bounder. After 2 Travatos and 2 Sprinter based units I decided to try a Transit base unit.

Congrats! Looks we are about to become Transit buddies.

What kind of delivery time are you looking at?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:27 AM   #7
Silver Member

Ordered in Oct, Coachman says off the line end of January delivery early February & you ?
Old 11-15-2021, 06:41 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Don’t know yet if we’ll lift it or not, nearing 80, our adventure spirt has kinda diminished.
NOT for off reading but clearance.

Or maybe it's just the older Roadtreks (mine is a 2005), that before the modifications woukd allow the Sewer Lines & Valves to scrape.

Do the new units not have that issue?
Old 11-15-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
The Promaster just felt a little lightly built to me. One Sprinter went Limp home N of Minot ND, made a slow trip to Minot & found the Dodge dealer wasn’t a Sprinter dealer any longer, but had the scanner and sensor I needed. Next time I was between Roswell & Lubbock, found the nearest dealer was Dallas. That problem and that Sprinter both left. The next Sprinter went into Limp Home mode headed S from Cartwright Labrador, nearest dealer was Halifax NS, or St John Newfound Land. Drove it to the ferry at Blanc-Sablon to troubleshoot, the hose had come out from under the clamp in one little place so it saw low boost. Then there was the tail light.

Congrats on your new Transit.

Just out of curiosity though, why didn't you call the Freightliner service facilities at those places (all owned by Mercedes). There is one in Minot and Lubbock. We even bought our Sprinter from our local Freightliner dealer. They are great and are even open weekends and nights for the truckers.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Congrats on your new Transit.

Just out of curiosity though, why didn't you call the Freightliner service facilities at those places (all owned by Mercedes). There is one in Minot and Lubbock. We even bought our Sprinter from our local Freightliner dealer. They are great and are even open weekends and nights for the truckers.
Not being a Mercedes owner, I didn't think of this option.

Is that because the newer units are not Mercedes with a Freightliner Badge?

Did it void the Warranty?
Old 11-15-2021, 07:29 PM   #11
Platinum Member

My Freightliner Sprinter has exactly the same parts, manuals and warranties as it would have had if I had bought it at a Mercedes Car dealer. The front grill parts are even available to replace the front badge as I recall. Since my smaller town has a Freightliner dealer but not a Mercedes car dealer, almost all the local Sprinters that the businesses own here are Freightliners. I could take mine to a Mercedes dealer for service but I bet they charge more. There are over 700 Freightliner service centers across the US including all the Truck Service Centers that are partnered with Mercedes for their Sprinters. If anyone owned a Sprinter but didn't think to use the Freightliner service centers, they missed out.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:23 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Ordered in Oct, Coachman says off the line end of January delivery early February & you ?
Wow! These days, that is phenomenal.
My Transit probably won't even be built by then (it will be a MY2022). Details here:
https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...rig-12765.html
Old 11-15-2021, 09:32 PM   #13
Gold Member

Quote:
I wondered whether I had missed a new model, only to see that Bounder is a Class A. Confusion ensued until I saw the Coachmen reference and figured you were talking about a Beyond. Whew - sanity (mostly) reconfirmed.

Congrats on the new rig!
Old 11-16-2021, 01:32 AM   #14
Silver Member

Don’t know why I keep wanting to call it a Bounder….hope it bares no resemblance to one !
Old 11-16-2021, 01:37 AM   #15
Silver Member

I'll believe the delivery when Stahmann calls. Coachman has received a large number of Transits recently, just gotta hope now that they are complete units from Ford, not a "hold this till we get the parts to finish it" deal.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:55 AM   #16
Site Team

On the positive side:
We are on the road right now, thinking how great it is going to be to not have to worry about diesel/DEF issues or Sprinter limp-home modes. Not to mention the 100:1 ratio of Ford vs Sprinter repair facilities. Sprinters are great in so many ways, but we are ready for a change.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:14 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I was fortunate to not get the limp home malady in over 125,000 miles in my two NCV3 Sprinters. The VS30 Sprinters (2019+) handle DEF differently. On the dash readout you can see the percentage of depletion graphically down to the 1% increment. Warnings go off when the 4.8 gallon DEF tank is down to 50% full. At that time a 2.5 gallon DEF container tops it off. They have moved the DEF receptor forward with a more substantial overflow cup that has a drainage hole and tube to the ground to make it easier to fill. I assume they’ve made many other improvements because I just checked the VS30 message board at Sprinter-Source.com and couldn’t find any limp home threads.

MB Sprinters now have a gas engine too but I was advised by ARV that they didn’t think it was robust enough for a fully decked out Class B. So I again went with the diesel. In my remaining lifetime or this particular one of Class B RVing I doubt diesel is going away.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:17 PM   #18
MN1

Default Will this be a class B Coachmen Beyond?

Quote:

Will this be a class B Coachmen Beyond? If so, you will love it!
MN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #19

Same here...I was just getting ready to check out the new Bounder on a Ford Transit Just kidding. I really love those Beyonds....the cabinets, etc are extremely nice.
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:39 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post

MB Sprinters now have a gas engine too but I was advised by ARV that they didn’t think it was robust enough for a fully decked out Class B. So I again went with the diesel. In my remaining lifetime or this particular one of Class B RVing I doubt diesel is going away.

David, our friend that lives in Kerrville talked to both the service manager and the sales manager at the Boerne, TX MB dealer a couple weeks ago when in for the NCV3 emissions recall and other recall issues. Both mentioned that the current VS30 will be the last diesel Sprinter, and they may not last the whole model run. Speculation is the in-line 6 cyl gas that MB has now will replace the diesel engine currently used.
Key word there, speculation....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote