Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Roadtrek CS Adventurous (Camping Series)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Roadtrek CS Adventurous at the Tampa show
Where is the fuel fill on these Sprinters?
The driver's door post. The closed door prevents one from opening the fuel cover. It is pretty cleanly disguised.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek CS Adventurous (Camping Series)

Pricing and options for the Roadtrek CS Adventurous (Camping Series)
February 2013

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadtrek CS Adventurous order form and pricing.JPG (147.8 KB, 1372 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #23

Has anyone actually been in one of these? Opinions on the interior vs the RS? Wondering about the flip down tv and the bathroom door. Also, the way the window is behind the cabinet next to the stove. Does that Venetian blind extend behind that cabinet or...?
I'm in the south so the heated features are wasted here,but I really like the storage and that fridge would solve one of our problems.
-Dot
Mousehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I have not seen it - it is a very new model. I don't see it on their website yet. Maybe contact sales@roadtrek.com and ask if there is one at a dealer near you.
You might be able to order it without some or all of the heated options.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #25

We recently saw a CS which we were planning to buy when it came in. It is much better than either the RS or E-Trek because of the great new kitchen. The refrigerator size is excellent, and the microwave is above it which will be much easier to use. The cabinet on the other end with shelves would be an outstanding pantry and storage unit. Drawers in kitchen are plentiful. The countertop has a covered sink and covered burners which would have to serve as prep area or maybe use tabletop wherever you place it. This expanded kitchen backs a tall wall up behind the driver's seat, which makes the entire cabin seem more crowded, but with definite plus features.

The window behind the refrigerator is still there, but I looked in from outside and could not see window coverings there, but the window is darkly tinted and is totally obscured by the frig/microwave area.

In the unit we saw and another we spoke to a different dealer about, the tv was not placed in the ceiling, but in the back as in the other models. I read somewhere that the ceiling placement did not work well with the bathroom doors.

We do not want to deal with propane, so we did not buy it right on the spot. We would like to have the CS as all-electric.

I do not like the fact that Roadtrek refuses to put different wall coverings without the standard print on the walls. I prefer solid colors and think the print makes it look cheap (which it is not). Also, no side cameras, and no parking sensors on front and back. The backup alarm is a simple backing warning like any truck would have.

Overall, the usefulness of the kitchen improvements is a big plus. Do not know how they will sell little frig models once people see this.
mamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #26
Platinum Member

... saw a CS --- I want to see one
... better than either the RS or E-Trek --- I like the extra interior storage too.
... refrigerator size is excellent --- I'd like to have it!
... microwave is above it which will be much easier to use --- looks about the same height as an over the range microwave which most people are used to
... Drawers in kitchen are plentiful --- you need drawers - I've noticed some travel trailers with no cutlery drawer...
... the entire cabin seem more crowded, but with definite plus features --- classic Class B compromise --- more storage or more open
... I read somewhere that the ceiling TV placement did not work well with the bathroom doors --- that is not surprising
... We do not want to deal with propane --- propane is not much of a problem, you get used to it
... We would like to have the CS as all-electric --- myself, I'd have to wait for a few real usage reports (including Summer) before making the mostly electric leap. The electric options are listed in the price sheet above. One question to answer is: can you live without the generator / would you be comfortable idling the engine for electricity
... Roadtrek refuses to put different wall coverings without the standard print on the walls --- they can look good this year and then look really dated in a few years time
... I prefer solid colors and think the print makes it look cheap (which it is not) --- me too
... Also, no side cameras, and no parking sensors on front and back --- for fully loaded Sprinters with options like that look at Advanced RV http://www.advanced-rv.com/
... The backup alarm is a simple backing warning like any truck would have --- I have that on my "to be installed wiring" for my hitch - I'm going to disable the backing warning as I sometimes back into a campsite late and that noise would be annoying
... Do not know how they will sell little frig models once people see this --- camper vans have had small fridges for decades. We can dry camp for a week with the traditional small fridge with some planning and still have interesting meals. I have to admit though that the bigger fridge would be great to have.

I came across these photos yesterday http://www.forestcitymotorhomes.com/RV- ... _NO=433808 Canadian dealer listed for $135,120.00 on Forest City website but on special at $118,900.00 advertised on Kijiji.

and note there is a free solar offer from Roadtrek right now so be sure to ask the dealer for details:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek - Jim Hammill
So, go into your Roadtrek dealer, pick yourself ANY new Roadtrek, and for a limited time, we will give you a Solar Panel and install
it for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadtrek CS Adventurous 01.JPG (41.6 KB, 1265 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrek CS Adventurous 02.JPG (32.1 KB, 1265 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrek CS Adventurous 03.JPG (38.9 KB, 1265 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrek CS Adventurous 04.JPG (57.4 KB, 1265 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrek CS Adventurous 05.JPG (20.5 KB, 1265 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrek CS Adventurous 06.JPG (37.4 KB, 1265 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrek CS Adventurous 07.JPG (82.5 KB, 1265 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrek CS Adventurous 08.JPG (61.6 KB, 1265 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrek CS Adventurous 09.JPG (34.5 KB, 1265 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrek CS Adventurous 10.JPG (76.1 KB, 1265 views)
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #27
Platinum Member

We like it. It is pretty much a copy of the floorplan of the Chevy and Dodge Roadtreks, which optimize space usage instead of going for "openness". Add the armoire and you would have quite a hauler. Extra batteries and solar also available, very nice, and with a genny and continental tire holder. Now if we could just get an aisle shower to get some of that space back......
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #28

Thanks for great photos of the CS. Two notes re interior: (1) In the kitchen we saw, the drawers did not have the long contemporary style handles, but just the push-in closures. I would bump into the long handles and have bruises from them. (2) The lighting in the ceiling is placed in a panel which takes away some of the height in the cabin. My husband cannot stand up straight in the CS because of this, and he is 6'2". If the air conditioner cannot keep us cool day and night, we won't be able to buy one.

Hope you all get to see one soon!
mamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #29
Platinum Member

I will be going to the local Roadtrek dealer today to pick up the stripes for our damaged door, and had planned to ask him when they will be getting a CS in. I think it would be interesting to look at, but is way out our range, pricewise.

The bigger frig was an interesting point, and while we do pretty well with our 3.0 cubic foot compressor frig, bigger would be nice. I looked up the specs on the Roadtrek site and they were given to be a Norcold 7.0 cubic foot compressor frig. Went to the Norcold site to look at it. I was very curious to see how much power it took to run. It is interesting that they list it at 3.2 amps @12 volts, and list their smaller frigs at 2.7-3.0 amps @ 12 volts. This makes for a frig that would have to be super insulated or run almost all the time, as it is over twice as large, but only uses 10-20% more power when running. The 3.2 amps is just about what our compressor pulls if I have it set to its highest (also lowest efficiency) setting, so it may be the same compressor. The fact that the frig is tall and skinny should allow them to have very good, gravity air circulation over a big condenser, which is a very big benefit.

I got curious because of how much a bigger frig would affect battery life. It appears you can get an Onan on the CS and two extra batteries, so you would have about 400AH or 320AH max usable. I think you lose the Onan capability if you get any more batteries, and we wouldn't do that. Our compressor frig uses between 15 and 40 AH per day, so I would expect the 7.0 to use about double that or 30-80AH per day. The 240 watts of solar, if you got it, would just make the top end on a sunny day, so you would be in pretty good shape, unless in the shade. Without the solar, if it was hot, you would be running the batteries down pretty quickly, even with 400AH available. If you just had the stock 200AH, you would be very limited without the solar in time off off shore power.

Of all the new models Roadtrek has come out with lately, and there have been a bunch of them, the CS has the most interest to us, and probably to the folks that actually camp for longer than weekends. it has a good combination for layout, options, and capabilities. I guess the question is if those folks have, and are willing to spend, $140K to get one, especially when previous generations (Dodge and Chevy) similar styles, were much less expensive, and usually the true touring campers are rich (at least we aren't). We got our 07 C190P, loaded up with options, new for $58K.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
............................... If you just had the stock 200AH, you would be very limited without the solar in time off off shore power................
That is a very good observation. From Roadtrek's specification page (as of today):
Quote:
Batteries - auxiliary - AGM deep cycle two 6V, 220 total amp-hrs.
and
Quote:
Refrigerator - 'Norcold' 12V/110V compressor driven w/ thermostat, 7.0 cu. ft.
Note - no propane option on the fridge. So it only runs on electricity (either AC or DC) as Booster mentioned above. Good battery management practice indicates that you should plan to recharge your batteries when 50% of their capacity has been used. Deeper discharges equate to shorter battery life. Deep cycle batteries can be discharged up to 80% but lots of RV'ers try to not let them go much below 50% discharged. So with the stock battery configuration, without solar, you have approximately 110 useable amp hours. I'd guess you could dry camp for not more than 2 days in moderate weather after considering all of the other items that run off the same batteries without running the generator. The fan, lights, furnace fan, TV /DVD off the inverter etc. all draw current from your batteries. It might be better to just plan on running the generator for an hour or two daily when dry camping.

This info makes the decision to get the free installed solar panel from Roadtrek a "no-brainer". Solar and two extra batteries (total 4) as Booster pointed out would be a good choice on the CS-Adventurous I think. I still think I'd get the generator model with 4 batteries and solar Just about all situations would be covered and it would appeal to lots of potential buyers on resale. Me included
Old 04-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Exactly my thoughts, Marko
Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Who (in their right mind) would sell such a beast, as that which you have described?
It would be an "estate sale" if it was mine being sold.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Yeah - you're right. It will be a while before they turn up on the used market.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #34
Platinum Member

I just got an e-mail from Roadtrek touting the CS. They push it as the class B for "real RVers". Similar to what we have been saying here, much more useful as a real camper than most of their other models. Do you think the actually did that on purpose, or have the been eavesdropping on us here?

The put up a similar blurb on their site.

http://www.roadtrek.com/models.aspx?...15&Country=USA
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Either a strange coincidence, or a desperate plea for attention?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:32 AM   #36
Platinum Member

The manufacturers do track and pay attention to group and forum comments. Some more than others. That's good

The RS and SS stood for Regular Sprinter and Short Sprinter I think. The CS in the CS Adventurous stands for Camping Series as far as I know. Maybe the lineup will continue to evolve like that and a Touring Series will be introduced.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Maybe the lineup will continue to evolve like that and a Touring Series will be introduced.
IMO that would be a very good thing! The industry seems to have drifted far away from actual camping, to yuppy weekenders, and left the rest of us to try to find older, more practical, units.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #38
Platinum Member

CS Adventurous media release:
Quote:
Roadtrek Introduces NEW “CS-Adventurous” Class B

Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA – April 29, 2013 – Roadtrek Motorhomes, the leading class B manufacturer in North America, is excited to introduce its latest new model, the CS-Adventurous. Built on the Mercedes Sprinter van for its renowned fuel economy, engineering, durability and quality, it’s the ultimate small motorhome for the real RVer!

“We had the avid RVer and camper top-of-mind when we designed this exciting new model. We made sure it had ample capacity for lengthy trips, both dry camping and otherwise - ample fresh water, propane and storage. We incorporated a very advanced hydronic heating system to make spending time in the van as comfortable as home," noted Roadtrek President Jim Hammill.

Serious RVers and campers will appreciate these features:
- Large galley with 7 cu. ft. fridge, raised convection/microwave oven, hot and cold filtered drinking water dispenser, and loads of storage space.
- Hydronic heating system with in-floor radiant comfort heating, supplementary heat in the bathroom, hot water, vehicle and engine preheating in cold weather, and use of engine heat for coach heating and hot water to save propane.
- Front seating in luxurious captain seats that are separate from primary rear sleeping area to avoid making bed every night and allow two of you to rise and retire at different times. Plus two separate living areas allow you and your significant other to “do your own thing” when you want.
- Rear power sofa converts to large twin beds or king-size bed.
- Ample water, propane, storage and battery capacity for dry camping and trips in general.
- Abundant 12V power outlets for your electronic devices.

Plus the CS is available with our E-trek electric and environmental package for even greater independence and capability while dry camping for extended periods, all while being environmentally conscious. The CS-Adventurous is manufactured using high levels of environmentally conscious recycled and e-certified materials. Roadtrek has begun production of the CS and our dealer network is prepared to take orders immediately.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #39
Platinum Member

I do wonder if Roadtrek is thinking they missed the market with e-trek, going more for the weekender/soccer mom/yuppy crowd than tourers and campers. The "open" floor plan of the e-trek has much less storage, so it is of less use if you are going off grid, where you bring all you need with you. The CS, with more practical storage mates much better with more batteries and solar, as you need both, not one or the other.

I do find it interesting, from the pix, that Roadtrek has again managed to design a front table that no one will be able to get around to get to their seat. Our 07 with the slide out was that way (we made a smaller tabletop), too. Maybe the CS is so spendy it comes with a waiter to serve you!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Long but interesting and informative video of a newly purchased Roadtrek CS Adventurous:

[youtube:2kexnryv]88CLqvVGAVE[/youtube:2kexnryv]

Quote:
Published on Jun 22, 2013

This is a video showing our brand new CS Adveturous E-Trek Class B Motor Home from Roadtrek. We bought it at Advanced Camping Sales in Milwaukee (http://www.advancecamping.com/) at a very good discount and this may be the first of its kind. The construction took four months because of both availability of the deluxe chassis and the engineering problems of putting the two models together.
It has the Alte heating system, Solar energy package (minus the induction cooktop), and a lot of extras including a nice chrome side strip that the dealer had never seen before.
The first part of the video shows the vehicle at our house and the rest is the instructions that our salesman, Josh, of Advanced Camping Sales, gave us before we took possession.
We were very pleased with the result and the service we got from Advanced. If you are interested in getting a Roadtrek, they are willing to deal and have several models in stock at all times.
Link: