Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New Safari Condo Transit XL Flex

Great floor plan, now with the Ford chassis (and 4WD) as an option. Article in French.

https://www.guideautoweb.com/articles/58940/
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Wow, with the Transit chassis Safari Condo now has four different models available in Canada using that unique lengthwise rear lift bed with gear garage and slide-out bike/gear tray underneath:
  • Sprinter 170 XL Flex, 23ft, RWD or 4x4
  • Transit XL Flex, 22ft, RWD or AWD
  • Promaster XL Flex, 21 ft, FWD, Poptop option for sleeping 4
  • Sprinter 144 LDX with lift bed, 19.5 ft, RWD or 4x4
Meanwhile we Americans get nothing like it... Bummer!
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:43 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Wow, with the Transit chassis Safari Condo now has four different models available in Canada using that unique lengthwise rear lift bed with gear garage and slide-out bike/gear tray underneath:
  • Sprinter 170 XL Flex, 23ft, RWD or 4x4
  • Transit XL Flex, 22ft, RWD or AWD
  • Promaster XL Flex, 21 ft, FWD, Poptop option for sleeping 4
  • Sprinter 144 LDX with lift bed, 19.5 ft, RWD or 4x4
Meanwhile we Americans get nothing like it... Bummer!
I’ve never seen reference (on their website or otherwise) of that last short Sprinter option.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:04 PM   #4
Gold Member

https://safaricondo.com/en/motorises...inter-l19-ldx/

But I don't see anything about the lift bed in the 19' model.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
I’ve never seen reference (on their website or otherwise) of that last short Sprinter option.
Their US rental agency told me they were ordering the short 4x4 Sprinter with lift bed. But it's not listed on Safari Condo website. And I don't see how they could configure the LDX galley with a lift bed. Perhaps a short version of the Sprinter GoVan model was what they meant?

The same rental agency also told me they ordered a Promaster XL Flex with a bathroom configuration that Safari Condo later said was not available. So this may be a case of misinformation.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:57 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Great floor plan, now with the Ford chassis (and 4WD) as an option. Article in French.

Me likey! I think if they are made on a US supplied chassis, they are legal to be brought back over after production in Canada.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:04 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Anybody know the current wait time for a Condo?

IIRC, it used to be 18 months, but that was before the increased demand that came with the pandemic.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Anybody know the current wait time for a Condo?
Currently 22-24 months according to the factory. However US customers have even longer wait times because the border closure currently prevents them from driving an empty van to Quebec for conversion.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:04 PM   #9
Gold Member

Quote:

Looks nice, but I still like my Travato LOL, however I do recommend 21'-23' for anyone these days. Well unless your inventive on making space for items.

Use your translate on your computer with cut and paste to read:

The friendly snail symbolizing Safari Condo will soon adorn the body of new recreational vehicles (VR) made on the basis of the Ford Transit van, a first for this manufacturer Beauceron.
For almost a quarter of a century, Safari Condo has been manufacturing RVs designed with attention to detail and carefully assembled. The first models were original and practical conversions of GM vans, first the small Safari, then the Savana, larger, which made it more convenient.
• READ ALSO: Safari Condo Sprinter XL Go-Van 2020: the favorite of road nomads
• READ ALSO: Safari Condo: the art of feeling at home wherever you go
In 2010, Safari Condo took the European turn by adding to its range models exploiting the versatile architecture and the efficient mechanics of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. Then, in 2014, the arrival of the first models built from the Ram ProMaster sparked a new craze because of their wider body, their ultra-low flooring making it easy to board and an interior that offered a free height as large as a Sprinter.
FROM GM to Ford
Safari Condo is now turning to Ford Transit, first to meet customer demand. "For the past few years, buyers have been asking us if we are offering this chassis," said Dominique Nadeau, president of the company. "Transit will become the intermediate product between the ProMaster and the Sprinter. For a variety of reasons, some customers also raised concerns about both brands. We believe this Ford will be better able to satisfy them."
The pandemic and containment have also led the company's management to question itself. "Despite a stable and beneficial relationship with GM over the past 20 years, our team and customers have charted a different future for our product line. That's why we decided to focus on Transit rather than Savana, whose production at home is coming to an end," explained Nadeau. As for the Transit, the first series models will be delivered in 2022.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:04 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Transit XL Flex Video

A short video walk-thru of Safari Condo's new Transit XL Flex (French of course...).
https://youtu.be/mOySTcDDnOI
Old 08-07-2021, 09:06 PM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:

We inquired on a Safari Condo before ordering the Pleasure Way. Unfortunately that was around the time we were in peak Covid lock down and there was no way that we could travel to Quebec to see a unit, since they don't sell through dealers in the US. To make it more difficult, since the buggy would be registered in the US, we would have needed to source the chassis (they'd spec it) and meet their rep at the border. Plus the lead time was 18-24 months.

But the Safari Condo was very impressive and our Canadian neighbors are lucky.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Pretty sure I want one.

I have seen Safari Condo trailers, etc. here in the US. I don't suppose anyone in the US is a Safari Condo dealer who would handle their Class B offerings in general and this unit in particular. I'll have to look into this.

If Panoramic would just build on the Transit platform instead of in a ProMaster, I'd be Jonesing after that one as well.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:50 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Pretty sure I want one.

I have seen Safari Condo trailers, etc. here in the US. I don't suppose anyone in the US is a Safari Condo dealer who would handle their Class B offerings in general and this unit in particular. I'll have to look into this.
It would take more than just a dealer. It's not like the Alto trailers that U.S. buyers can just tow back to the States. The company would need to import bare vans intended for the U.S. market, then sell in the U.S. Obviously not a problem that can't be solved, but with a 18 to 24 month backlog on conversions probably not something the company wants to take on. When I talked to them 6 years ago to pick up our van, the impression I got was they are nervous about expanding and growing too much, and then having to lay off employees when the next recession inevitably rolls around.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:01 PM   #14
Platinum Member

A couple more details on the Safari Condo XL Flex Transit model. To allow space for the dual (stacked) refrigerators the sink had to be removed from the bathroom and the bed length is 2" shorter than Sprinter and Promaster XL Flex units.

That is a bit unfortunate for taller buyers however. By comparison Pleasure-Way takes advantage of the Ford Transit's taller ceiling by matching it with 2"-4" longer beds on both their OnTour Transit models.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:56 PM   #15
Platinum Member

A bathroom sink is required in the wet bath. No bathroom hands in the kitchen sink! So, this particular floor plan wouldn't work for us.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
A bathroom sink is required in the wet bath. No bathroom hands in the kitchen sink! So, this particular floor plan wouldn't work for us.

You've never camped, have you?

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:53 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Most adventure vans don't seem to include a sink in the bathroom either. That includes Winnebago's Revel and Solis, Pleasure-Way Recon, Storyteller Overland, etc. Airstream does include a bathroom sink on the Interstate 24X but that's more a touring coach with adventure themed trim.

As MsNomer notes, toilet facilities without a sink are pretty much standard operating procedure for anyone who camps, floats river trips, participates in cycling or running events, etc. Sometimes a hand sanitizer dispenser is provided.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post

You've never camped, have you?
What you don't know about us is a whole lot, but I will admit that's a funny rejoinder.

I also acknowledge that many folks don't have the same requirements we have. That's fine. So maybe let it slide, eh?
Old 09-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Of course the other bathroom without a sink at, not even a kitchen one, is the great outdoors along hiking trails. Bring your own TP and wipes for your hands
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:18 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
What you don't know about us is a whole lot, but I will admit that's a funny rejoinder.

I also acknowledge that many folks don't have the same requirements we have. That's fine. So maybe let it slide, eh?
Glad you saw the humor. Happy trails. (She says from her camper that doesn’t even have a kitchen sink.)

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, safari condo, transit