Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2022, 04:01 PM   #21

Wow, I had no idea how much intensity is assigned to which chassis.

Personally after 2 MB B Class I would never want anything else.

If you don't want a MB diesel, don't get one.

Haasman
Haasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:20 PM   #22
Bronze Member

We've never had a DEF issue in our 2014 Sprinter (2015 Roadtrek Agile SS). We just stop at a truck stop every several thousand miles and fill up the DEF tank.
OregonTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:33 PM   #23
Bronze Member

I default to agreeing with everything Davydd says; except this time. In 2014 (my model year) there was (is) no dashboard or other instrumentation indication of the DEF fill-level. Yes, keeping it full is a no-brainer maintenance routine, but even with that the NCV3 has been notorious for emissions issues (and outright recalls). And let's assume for a minute that those issues are now resolved. One still needs to have their Sprinter routinely serviced (if not repaired) and the only place to do that is an *authorized* MB Sprinter service location -- almost always a MB dealership. If one breaks down or has a mechanical issue while traveling away from home, you are relying upon your ability to (1) find an *authorized* service location, (2) get your Sprinter to that location, and (3) have them service your Sprinter in a somewhat timely manner.
MarCorpsMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:06 PM   #24
Bud
Platinum Member

Wondering if Full Timers seek out or avoid Sprinters.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
"Sprinter" and "rock solid". Now THERE are words that you don't often see in the same sentence.

Beware!
It makes me sick when I see someone recommending MB. All the forums I'm on are filled with issues. The older ones have less, but still more than your GM and Ford etc. I personally know a Master MB Mechanic and he said that it's so bad, they can't even come up with decent reliable fixes. Stay away, and for those recommending it, shame on you! My Chevy, 08, has never been in the shop longer than a day. Bearing, left front, new plugs and wires at 130,000 miles (Yes they were original) some brake line connection replacement, normal hoses belts, battery, new radiator, trans is still solid at 140k+, no DEF to deal with, oil changes are about $50, and the list goes on. When I was a kid, back in the 70s, I worked at the local gas station. We did it all. MB was the tank of the industry. Going 300k, while GM, Ford, Dodge etc. were lucky to hit 100k. Times have changed, they all will go over 300k, including MB, but MB will be in and out of the shop, and the repair cost is beyond ridiculous. Again, Shame on anyone recommending the PO Crap
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:15 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I can't believe anyone who does their DD would get a MB, especially using it as an RV. https://www.motorbiscuit.com/over-50...light-problem/
Old 05-27-2022, 06:28 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
. . . Shame on anyone recommending the PO Crap
What is PO Crap?
Old 05-27-2022, 07:42 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I guess that PO=piece of
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:16 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
What is PO Crap?
Polite way of saying POS, or in this case Piece of Crap
Old 05-28-2022, 02:37 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Hey! If you don’t like Mercedes Benz Sprinters then you are forsaking the best Class B’s available.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:30 PM   #31
Platinum Member

It really is like contemporary politics… dominated by extreme positions on both sides!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:47 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It really is like contemporary politics… dominated by extreme positions on both sides!
Agreed; the number one downside of social media is identity politics.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:55 PM   #33
Platinum Member

I like my Sprinter, I don’t love. The only problem I had was with NOx sensors, replaced under warranty with some arm twisting. These sensors were replaced the second time under MB upgrade, as a part of the upgrade package I received compensation of $3,500 in 2021.

Honda Accord, starter failed, and it was expensive.

I like both vehicles, I don’t love them, but they are not POSs nor whatever other none polite POSs synonyms would be used.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:12 PM   #34
Site Team

As I have said consistently, I consider the Sprinter an excellent vehicle that has one very serious flaw. For our needs, this flaw is fatal. Others have different needs and values. For some of them, it may be just fine.

It is true that I consider the flaw to be an unreasonable one. But that is a matter of opinion.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:23 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Hey! If you don’t like Mercedes Benz Sprinters then you are forsaking the best Class B’s available.
Hey! If you recommend MB then you have not been paying attention to what's going on in the Class B market. Very BAD advice and could end of costing someone thousands of dollars vs getting a Ford, Dodge etc that requires way less service, and is far more reliable.
For those that want to do real DD check the Class B forums and FaceBook. It's so sad how MB is getting away with this. https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-wor...you-thousands/
Old 05-29-2022, 06:58 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Reliability is a very relative term and everyone's experience will vary. Some people say they have gone ,150,000 miles with no problems......

I had a couple of huge surprises. The idler pulleys and tensioners failed at 53,000 miles causing a lot of damage and the turbo unit just failed at 66,000 miles.....

Both of these were completely unexpected and disabled the vehicle. Plus, in 5 years and 40,000 miles ..I purchased it at 26,000 miles in 2017. ( It's a 2012 Roadtrek RS Adventurous ... with the 2011 chassis.... the check engine light has come on almost a dozen times.... for all kinds of things... Glow plugs, emissions, speed sensor, low turbo boost, just to name a few......

I couldn't have foreseen any of these things.....

I don't think it's reliable as my Subaru Outback..
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:12 PM   #37
Platinum Member

To amplify what Avanti said, I consider the Sprinter an excellent vehicle that has two very serious flaws. The worst is the ham-handed way MB designed the emission system. The second is the lack of places to get one serviced, especially in less developed areas.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:35 PM   #38
Platinum Member

It's not really true you can't have your sprinter serviced by anyone other than an authorized dealer. I certainly have. There may be things peculiar to Mercedes that require a dealer but I have yet to have a problem that required one other than recalls.

I have also never had a DEF problem.

As always, it's a mistake to take complaints on the internet as representative of anything other than the complainers experience.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:36 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
As always, it's a mistake to take complaints on the internet as representative of anything other than the complainers experience.
This is simply not true, unless one is foolish enough to try to interpret individual reports, rather than aggregates of such reports.

For example, we know with high confidence that failures of basic powertrain components are uncommon on the Sprinter, because across hundreds and hundreds of user failure reports, reports of such failures are quite rare. In contrast, reports of emissions-related failures are quite common. It is of course not impossible that there is some systematic bias in reporting, with users tending to complain selectively about some classes of failure while remaining silent about others. But as there is no obvious reason to expect such selective bias, Occam's razor suggests otherwise.

Statistical reasoning is an acquired skill, as is Internet literacy. To suggest the either is worthless is an empty claim.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:38 AM   #40
Platinum Member

ChicagoTom cited an old article on NCV3 Sprinters (pre 2018 ) to statistically reason and Avanti never had a VS30 Sprinter (post 2019) to statistically reason with any experience. So much for that statistical reasoning.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote