Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
g1g
Platinum Member

Default new tires

I had been shopping for new tires for a while now and thought I would mention my experiance. I went to one tire store and they told me a certain kind of tire was the only thing I could put on a camper van or I would be rocking all over the road. They said the side walls had to be reinforced . It also just happenss that the only tire that fits the bill was probably the most expensive one, some brand of Michilen. Well I believe Michelin makes good tires but their price is also very high. While I was talking to the manager I asked him if the BFG Comercial TA would be any good. He replied definatly not and I would not even be able hold it on the road. My parting comment to him is it is very strange or I'm the greatest driver around because that's what I have now and it goes great.
All in all I ended up getting the Goodyear Wrangler Slient Armor at another store. My main reason for doing the radical tread pattern over a highway one is for better traction when boondocking and it has a A traction rating too. The sale they had on them and factory rebate helped make a decision too.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: new tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1g
I had been shopping for new tires for a while now and thought I would mention my experiance. I went to one tire store and they told me a certain kind of tire was the only thing I could put on a camper van or I would be rocking all over the road. They said the side walls had to be reinforced . It also just happenss that the only tire that fits the bill was probably the most expensive one, some brand of Michilen. Well I believe Michelin makes good tires but their price is also very high. While I was talking to the manager I asked him if the BFG Comercial TA would be any good. He replied definatly not and I would not even be able hold it on the road. My parting comment to him is it is very strange or I'm the greatest driver around because that's what I have now and it goes great.
All in all I ended up getting the Goodyear Wrangler Slient Armor at another store. My main reason for doing the radical tread pattern over a highway one is for better traction when boondocking and it has a A traction rating too. The sale they had on them and factory rebate helped make a decision too.
That does seem strange, and I looked at the BFG Commercial TAs before I went with the Michelin A/T2s.
Discount Tire had the Michelins on for about $200/each installed and balanced on sale in March 2010.
What shop told you the TAs wouldn't work? Were the ones you looked at LT rated, like LT245 75R16 E?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

The shop was one from a local chain. They have about a dozen locations. The tires are LTT with an E rating, They have the 2680 Lb weight capacity. What I liked about them is an agressive enough pattern for off the road and a couple groves to chanel the water when raining. They are not any noiser than the BFGs but have the better gripping ability. Goodyear also says they are better than most for better MPG
Old 05-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I wonder why they said the TAs wouldn't work then, unless they make next to nothing on them.
They know which tires have the highest margin, and maybe they push you towards them.
I like the AT2 Michelins for the same reason, aggressive tread pattern, solid sidewalls, and
they are very quiet for an (almost) off road tire. I have driven mine in snow, and they perform
very well, stability and grip seems very good.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
g1g
Platinum Member

My guess is they read where Michelin has a tire just for campers and since they are not to street smarts they think they are reading book smarts when they are actually reading advertising. That is unless or even coupled with making more money on the Michelin
Old 05-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Do Commercial TA tires come in both P and LT models? Maybe they thought you wanted
the (probably) less expensive P types? I would never put P tires on a heavier vehicle like a
class B van.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
g1g
Platinum Member

I really don't know but I think a "P" would be just a regular TA and the Comercial the "LT" with an E rating