Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #81
Platinum Member

Thanks to Dahai. I actually met Steve and saw his van when he passed thru Arkansas. It was one of the reasons I got interested in a self build. Finally got to spend a little time in a 2016 Travato last night.... Damn! Confused again... The table issue has been resolved, I fit in the shower fine, and the froli bed system is a big improvement. My sweetheart even approved (everything is better when "sweetheart approved" ) It didn't have a bike rack and ladder (and solar as the salesman suggested it did) so I may be looking for Perdies eBay add....

Congratulations to perdi!
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #82
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Not that I've heard of. Haven't checked with dead guys though - but I suspect they aren't as good at negotiating.
We paid 70k for a fully loaded 2016k racks and screen
Old 09-10-2015, 07:47 PM   #83
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k

Very sorry..typo..paid 80k..wish it was 70k
Old 09-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #84
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass59k View Post
Very sorry..typo..paid 80k..wish it was 70k
Gas or diesel?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:04 AM   #85
Platinum Member

LOL. I was going to call you out on that.

Price paid for an RV and MPG are the #3 and #2 things men most often lie about.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #86
Bronze Member

wish I'd sprung for a diesel travato - but I couldn't find one within reach (price and distance). I burned just over a tank from odessa TX to kingman AZ (900 miles including several short excursions) in my passat diesel. I am going to miss that when I sell it this week.
perdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #87
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdi View Post
wish I'd sprung for a diesel travato - but I couldn't find one within reach (price and distance). I burned just over a tank from odessa TX to kingman AZ (900 miles including several short excursions) in my passat diesel. I am going to miss that when I sell it this week.
The one issue with the diesel is you then need to get a LP generator. You gave a small LP tank to begin with. My .02.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #88
Bronze Member

I completely agree with you on that 6 L LP tank. Still, its nice to drive forever on a tank of diesel.
Are there currently any travato full timers out there?
Just wondering what your experience with a vehicle this size has been.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #89
Platinum Member

There's a guy on the class B Facebook page who has the 59k diesel. He says he averages 23 mpg but is going by the computer. If it's like the gas versions computer then he's probably getting 22mpg. He has 3,000 miles so not even broken in yet.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #90
Platinum Member

I think it would be tough to make back the $6k upcharge for the deisel option. With no extra towing capability and lesser useable payload, it's a tough justification. Add to that the inconvenience of the lp generator gulping down your very limited lp capacity.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:50 AM   #91
Bronze Member

October Car and Driver has a comparo of the diesel Promaster cargo van swb, Sprinter diesel and Ford Transit diesel. Promaster was a distant 3rd, due mainly to its single clutch auto manual transmission. 0-60 was over 13 seconds with an empty van. Don't know if they have improved since their review, but they were scared to drive the Promaster. Any owner comments ? Guess I'll stick with gas!
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #92
Platinum Member

When I drove one, it was very sluggish left in auto mode. The shift from 1st to 2nd was really slow. If you manually shifted it, it seemed as quick to me as the gas van. I thought it had more than adequate performance for RV service.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #93
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
When I drove one, it was very sluggish left in auto mode. The shift from 1st to 2nd was really slow. If you manually shifted it, it seemed as quick to me as the gas van. I thought it had more than adequate performance for RV service.
Haven't found any diesel G coaches to test drive, but it sounds like something that needs time too get comfortable with. The Sprinter chassis or Transit would be a better choice for diesel for now, but who knows when and if any will be built. As much praises for the MB, there is a big price difference. Too much to justify for the perceived improvement in performance and quality for me anyways.
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #94
Platinum Member

Haven't found any diesel G coaches to test drive, but it sounds like something that needs time too get comfortable with.

I own a diesel car with a DSG (manual / automatic) transmission. The shift action beyond second gear is generally fast but the 1st gear shifts are sometimes slow/jerky. 38,000 miles later, I have adjusted my driving style to manual / automatic transmissions.

As much praises for the MB, there is a big price difference. Too much to justify for the perceived improvement in performance and quality for me anyways.

I have not driven the Promaster V6 yet but I recently drove a 2016 Sprinter RV (Airstream) with the V6 diesel and was impressed with it's midrange torque and stability on the 3500 chassis.

What was more impressive was it's ride (had the Sprinter HD suspension option) on city streets and on the motorway. At 70 MPH, there was little wind rush and the weighted steering was very good. The Sprinter Driver Assistance Package (COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST, Lane Keeping Assist, Blind Spot Assist) works as advertised and Crosswind Assist helped making high speed driving less tiring with fewer steering corrections.

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #95
Site Team

Our 2014 Sprinter has the I4 engine rather than the V6. I strongly recommend it. Plenty of power and the 7-speed transmission is da bomb. Agree that the active safety package is amazing. However, note that the crosswind assist is not available on the 3500. Very stable without it, though.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #96
Platinum Member

Our 2014 Sprinter has the I4 engine rather than the V6. I strongly recommend it. Plenty of power and the 7-speed transmission is da bomb.

The reviews have been good on the I4/7-speed combination. Winnebago did a test comparing the I4 View to the V6 over a 300+ mile road test. The I4 did very well and took on hills without fuss.

Towing may be a challenge on sleep slopes.

What has been your experience?
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 PM   #97
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Our 2014 Sprinter has the I4 engine rather than the V6. I strongly recommend it. Plenty of power and the 7-speed transmission is da bomb.

The reviews have been good on the I4/7-speed combination. Winnebago did a test comparing the I4 View to the V6 over a 300+ mile road test. The I4 did very well and took on hills without fuss.

Towing may be a challenge on sleep slopes.

What has been your experience?
Sorry, never towed with it, so no data. However, I have been all around the country with the vehicle, including deepest West Virginia and highest New Mexico. Never wanting for power on the hills. And, I routinely get legitimate 20+ MPG.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:27 AM   #98
Bronze Member

I can't lock the doors. I press the padlock on the remote and the indicators flash. What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-25-2015, 12:33 AM   #99

I have had that happen for two reasons:

1. One of the doors (usually the slider) is not closed all the way. This is the most common for us (now).

2. When I first bought it the hand brake and seat swivel alarms were wired wrong, I couldn't lock it if the parking brake was on. If you put the key in and with the parking brake on the instrument cluster reads "rear doors" or something like that it may be the same thing. Disengage the parking brake (down) and see it the message goes away, and you can now lock it.
ohiobmwbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:38 AM   #100
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdi View Post
I can't lock the doors. I press the padlock on the remote and the indicators flash. What am I doing wrong?
It's usually the slider. Check out this thread.

Locking Issues.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote