Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #1

Default NEW (Used) 1990 Roadtrek Versatile Owner

Just purchased myself a fixer upper which is in the shop for some minor belt and brake hose work. The person I purchased this from recommended the transmission filter be changed and I let the mechanic know this. My question is , how do you know when something like this is needed? Clunky shifting or anything like that as it drives smooth as can been. It has 150k miles on it so certainly may just be needed but I need to be strategic for a little while where I put the money in to the repairs.
J_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

most domestic manuals would spec tranny filter/oil change at 60K as routine.

Americans tend to ignore this until there is a problem and the old lube has left varnish and the the seals/orings are dried out and leaks and poor performance results ( "seal savers" are made to soften old seals...which will seal better- but is a stop gap.)

the "problem" is that most vehicles do not have a drain in the pan...and require that the tech drop a pan full of fluid which is messy...( aftermarket pans with a drain, cooling fins and fluid extra capacity are available at speed shops- about $100

this is maybe the ONLY time in which suctioning out the fluid through the dipstick tube is allowable*- to drain most of the fluid before the pan is dropped and the filter changed

Mike

*chain lube shops sometimes will do this as a cost and time saver- they are also likely to leave the old filter in place...and maybe use substandard fluids.
all those discount coupons are for conventional oils, most cars require a synthetic- which costs more, but works better and lasts longer
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

2.) I know you say 'fixer upper"...but these only make sense if the owner is doing the work. paying retail prices for parts and labour will get really expensive fast.

consider that each belt/hose will cost about $15 ea at the autoparts store...a shop has to charge retail and will order the "Cadillac" of hoses- because they don;t want you coming back for a do-over or free repair in 2 months..so that$15 hose may cost you $60...each...plus labour.

have a think, you might consider selling on this van and going newer that doesn't need anything you can;t easily do.

you could also look into an evening auto tech 101 class at a community college- that can be a real money saver.

3.) if you do stuff like the belts and hoses yourself...then you know how to fix roadside should anything ever happen...learn the procedure at home with no time constraints and what tools may be needed.

for instance I know that for my GM truck and van, I need a 15mm socket and a ratchet to change my serpentine belt and the idler pulley...should it ever happen on the road

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the info! Mechanically it's fairly sound the person I purchased it from was a mechanic and did a bunch of stuff to it. I have a pretty reliable mechanic that hasn't blown me up with charges to date. The fixer upper stuff some minor interior stuff beyond what I posted. I would like to do some of the mechanical work myself but for now just want it double checked and some of the things checked off for now. I was loaned an 87 VW camper but didn't dare do anything to it myself for fear of the dreaded replacement part costs for that thing so moved onto personal ownership!
J_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

Another thing tp have the mechanic to go over is the cooling system, old radiators tend to be clogged up overheating the trans and if towing add a trans cooler.
jeomelia is offline   Reply With Quote