Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #21
Platinum Member

New USPS van is not alone in the design esthetics domain, see 8:10 to 10:10.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Here is a site where you can find more images.

https://media.usps.com/events/NGVD/
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #23
Platinum Member

The van builders would love to build on a chassis with tall vertical walls like this. I can already picture the tall shower and bath area. Other than the strange windshield it isn't that much difference in shape than Advanced RV's B Box design or even many of the Class C RV's.

https://rvbusiness.com/advanced-rv-u...-of-b-box-van/
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:02 PM   #24
Gold Member

Default Future of Delivery Vans

The USPS van looks seem to be an outlier in the electric delivery vans under development. The others appear more attractive by intent. As it is said that " a camel is a horse put together by committee" the USPS van looks to be the result of a committee.

Separate from looks the following article is an interesting read on what is happening in the delivery van space and that many of the large purchasers are contracting "private label" solutions. The economics seem compelling.

http://https://wolfstreet.com/2021/02/15/electric-delivery-vans-in-the-era-of-red-hot-ecommerce-tangle-up-legacy-automakers-in-new-competition/

This likely has significant implications for the future work / delivery van volumes and traditional builders. Trickle down effect on Class Bs who have taken advantage of this platform. I was surprised by the average range needed for a delivery van and work vans might be even less. Ride height would seem limited to paved streets.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:19 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCLE View Post
…………………. As it is said that " a camel is a horse put together by committee" the USPS van looks to be the result of a committee.
………………………
............or committees, and the windshield committee lead by the USPS chairman prevailed.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Minneapolis StarTribune newspaper opinion piece...

Lileks: On the weary feeling you have to have an opinion on post office trucks
Old 03-01-2021, 04:44 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I still prefer that over the Dodge RAM Promaster

No offense to the RAM owners
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:24 PM   #28
Platinum Member

De gustibus non est disputandum, I am certain you will find someone in the world sharing your view.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:28 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
De gustibus non est disputandum, I am certain you will find someone in the world sharing your view.
Just my view, all good. It's like I like the post office truck.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:06 PM   #30
Platinum Member

The new UPS vans in the UK look quite similar, I think. UPS may use skylights like they have in current vans, though, so don't need as tall a front windshield to be able to see well in the rear areas.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:39 PM   #31
Silver Member

Bringing it all together... this is a listing on Outdoorsy for a modified USPS truck:

https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/...125040-listing
PleasantonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:17 PM   #32
Gold Member

Default Poor Admin Mgr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
It is going to take some time to get used to this vehicle. Imagine RV conversion. Cleaning the windshield would be a task. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictur...ery-vehicle/2/
Hello, I use to work for the USPS many years, and I retire knowing a lot of the decision process for large purchases, after being in a higher level position and work in HQ and Areas, in Logistics and facilities, plus a few other functions. The major purchases are usually approved by the Postal Board of Governors, and contracted through things like GSA, ebuy, or other bidding. This design decision was a joke and used no common sense. Obviously from someone who rides a computer inside of vehicle. I once encountered a person given a higher level Logistics position at the Area (girlfriend CA) who knew nothing about transportation contracting or big rigs and hauling. She forgot to put the shoring equipment and etrack to secure the load and containers. The driver tried to block in the load, but when he pulled out quickly all the containers fell out the back door with mail went all over on a major street. The Police and Postal inspectors had to secure the area. That was covered up quickly. LOL I bet this one is the same way. The generally the average person in our country does not understand that the USPS goes everywhere and in daily in all kinds of terrain. Electric can not climb uphill like a diesel, and Semi's don't fit into older USPS facilities. These friends and family promotions, as I called them, usually get moved or promoted, and talk a good game. Well the good news is most of my USPS friends are out and we laugh, when we see or hear these stories. Major changes are coming to the PO so hang on. Oh those people in the bottom of the Grand Canyon will still get all their supplies thanks to the Political people of the day 1960 (bet they did not know how to get that down that cliff). Try a mule LOL
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:00 PM   #33

I’m glad that I never had such issues. I love and, at the same time, hate to order anything from the internet because I got scammed way too many times. Once, I had my order in “transit” for six months while the UPS kept on saying that my order will be delivered in 2-3 days. In the end, I had to call them, and they said that my package was lost. That’s why it’s always good to have a good tracking system to be aware of the order. A couple of weeks ago, I ordered from Aliexpress, and I also used aliexpress tracking application. It surprisingly worked, and now I’m able actually to track my order correctly.
scottohib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:16 PM   #34
Platinum Member

I think this truck is cute as a bug and my carrier would love to have one.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:32 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife View Post
Electric can not climb uphill like a diesel

What the hell are you talking about? I can be towing a small airstream (11K total) with my Tesla and go faster than my 9000lbs dually Mercedes diesel. It's not even close either.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:50 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by coss370 View Post
I can be towing a small airstream (11K total) with my Tesla and go faster than my 9000lbs dually Mercedes diesel. It's not even close either.
Yes. There is a reason why diesel locomotives convert their power to electricity on the way to the wheels. Electric vehicles have their problems, but torque isn't one of them.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:52 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Yes. There is a reason why diesel locomotives convert their power to electricity on the way to the wheels. Electric vehicles have their problems, but torque isn't one of them.
Yeah full electric might not be feasible for the entire USPS fleet, but it will work on like 80% of them. The rural guys can use a smart hybrid drivetrain and save themselves a lot of money and CO2.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:33 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I think this truck is cute as a bug and my carrier would love to have one.
I finally met the carrier in my new neighborhood. We were talking vans since he mentioned he liked my RT. So I asked him about the new USPS van. His comment is that he loves the old ones... dependable little work horses that they have been. But then I said... won't it be nice to be able to stand in the rear. He agreed that it will be a huge benefit... and also with the added space for packages.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:31 PM   #39
Platinum Member

My library/office window looks out on the street. We live at the end of a cul-de-sac so delivery vans are constantly turning around in the circle. My next door neighbor, an artist, has deliveries every day. I don’t think I’ve seen an electric van yet but I’ve seen just about every van in existence on the road. So has this van rolled out yet? Most all the Amazon vans have been Promasters. I don’t think I’ve seen any of those 20,000 Sprinters that delayed my Class B.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:46 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Most all the Amazon vans have been Promasters. I don’t think I’ve seen any of those 20,000 Sprinters that delayed my Class B.
In Arizona, the majority of the Prime vans are Sprinters with the rest split between Transits and Promasters. At first in my area of MN, the majority were Promasters, but no longer. It's a pretty even split between the three of them.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote