Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default New-West V.R. new Sprinter based Class B

New-West V.R. in Quebec has some photos of their Sprinter based Class B RV on their French version website: http://new-west.com/modeles/new-west-me ... rinter-mrw

Nice clean design (like the rest of their offerings).

Here's a Google translation: http://translate.google.com - new-west-mercedes-srinter
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Rok
Platinum Member

Default Re: New-West V.R. new Sprinter based Class B

That looks like it's built on the short Sprinter chassis (19' 6"). If so, they did a lot with that little of space. It also could be that it is a chassis that we don't have here in the states.

..........Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I think you are right about it being on the short Sprinter. Sleeping might be across the rear but it is hard to know for sure.

I like the custom molded panels covering the interior van structure. I noticed those on other models when I stopped by their showroom last year. It looked to me to be either gel-coated fiberglass or acrylic. The custom panels indicates to me that they are tooled up for producing this model.

In the photos I notice what looks to be an induction cooktop. This may be an all electric or mostly electric Class B. The Chevy units I looked at last year had a high quality inverter in them. They put a lot of solar panels on their vans:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg new west van.jpg (44.9 KB, 786 views)
Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Why is this considered a "nice clean design " and the Travatto (which I think is still just a prototype) is by many here considered crude? Is it a grass is greener mentality? BTW I too think it's a nice clean design but I thought the Winnie was clean and clever as well.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Platinum Member

The solar panels on the New West popup pic look to be right down tight to the roof, which would make them run very hot according to all I have read about installs and the instructions that came with ours. The higher heat is hard on the panels and also drops efficiency quite a bit.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
The solar panels on the New West popup pic look to be right down tight to the roof, which would make them run very hot according to all I have read about installs and the instructions that came with ours. The higher heat is hard on the panels and also drops efficiency quite a bit.
That's my understanding also. I wonder about how heat affects the flexible stick-on adhesive panels that some RV'ers are using. Maybe different panels have different tolerances. It is a good point to mention - find out before you buy rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Why is this considered a "nice clean design " and the Travatto (which I think is still just a prototype) is by many here considered crude? Is it a grass is greener mentality? BTW I too think it's a nice clean design but I thought the Winnie was clean and clever as well.
The "nice clean design" comment was from me and is just an opinion based on the photos. And, it refers to the interior as I'm not sure I like the dark painted panels around the low height windows. I like the interior acrylic or fiberglass panels. Some people won't like that - it might look cold to them. I also like certain features of the Travato like the dinette and the fold up bed. I think I could live with the 48" bed but DW gave me a "look" when I mentioned it .... maybe she is not thrilled with the 51" bed we have

The buzz around the Travato (positive and negative) tells me that most of us want to see some new alternatives available. The comments probably also reflect a comparison to what rig a person currently owns. The interiors of all the new factory built van are so much nicer than my homemade van that it is very easy to impress me.

Stan, you are one of the more positive "glass is half full" people on the web. I remember reading a post you made about a radiator fan failure on your van. You made no complaint about it and instead was grateful that it happened in your driveway and not on the road. It made an impression on me because I still remember it. You might think your positive comments aren't heard but they are
Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I like the fact that New West is using a 144" wheelbase Sprinter, because there isn't much competition (AFAIK, only Sportsmobile and RT have models on this chassis.) That means this is a rig that can be parked almost anywhere a pickup truck can go, except parking garages.

I'm eager to see what comes out this year in the way of what other makers answer with. Both Westfalia and HYMER are waiting in the wings. It definitely won't be a boring 12-18 months in the way of class Bs.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote