Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
Gold Member

Smile New wheels

After seeing these wheels on a few of my fellow RT's I had to get them for The Fort. Moto M970 16x8 and remounted my stock size Cooper tires which I had just bought about 4 months ago. Most likely next set will go with a bigger size 265/75R 16 like Booster recommends. These wheels are not back to stock offset but is closer at 0 than the AR wheels it replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new moto wheels.jpg (179.7 KB, 74 views)
Moto Metal M970 16x8
Buc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc22 View Post
After seeing these wheels on a few of my fellow RT's I had to get them for The Fort. Moto M970 16x8 and remounted my stock size Cooper tires which I had just bought about 4 months ago. Most likely next set will go with a bigger size 265/75R 16 like Booster recommends. These wheels are not back to stock offset but is closer at 0 than the AR wheels it replaced.

For reference on the backspace for anyone who hasn't seen the wheel discussions.

Stock Chevy wheels on the vans are at +28mm and the AR wheels that many of the converters like Roadtrek used are at -6MM for offset. That makes the AR wheel move outboard by nearly 1 3/8" on each wheel. A zero offset wheel is a bit under 1 1/8" outboard of a stock wheel.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #3
Gold Member

Booster
I am super pleased with the handling of my RT with just the shocks and sway bar. I will be lifting for clearance in the near future. I did notice a slight improvement in directional stability at highway speeds on the way home after install.
Moto Metal M970 16x8
Old 01-24-2021, 01:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
tire size difference: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r16-265-75r16
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Booster
I am super pleased with the handling of my RT with just the shocks and sway bar. I will be lifting for clearance in the near future. I did notice a slight improvement in directional stability at highway speeds on the way home after install.

I have been a big supporter of adding big rear sway bars in the vans, because they work well. I think all rear heavy vans should have them unless the weight is removable like just cargo vans.

The rear bar will contribute a lot to directional stability of the front because it reduces understeer, giving the front tires more traction so steering corrections are are more effective and can be less steering wheel input. I found the rear bar to be the biggest contributor to ease of driving and directional stability, and we have done essentially all the handling improvement changes, I think.

The wheel offset, at least on our van, did not have a large effect on the directional stability from what I could tell. In regards to handling getting to the factory offset did make for less scuffing when turning. At low speeds I could always feel the van fighting the front wheels so on tight right turns, it just felt off a bit. If we were on gravel with big offset wheels we could hear a lot gravel slide noise on turns. It also improved how it held on cloverleaf type turns a bit with stock offset, but not huge.

That looks like a concrete driveway in the pic, which is what we have also. To put the van in the garage, I need to back up close to 150' with a 90* turn and lots of jockying to line up and a 9' door. With the AR wheels that kind of maneuvering left skid marks from the front wheels turning and scuffing. Early on when I was still "learning" the best way to get there, the driveway looked like we had burnout contest on it Once we changed the wheels to stock offset, no skidmarks at all, which really surprised me. If you do hard turn maneuvering going backwards, to see any marks left on the concrete?
Old 01-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #6
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I have been a big supporter of adding big rear sway bars in the vans, because they work well. I think all rear heavy vans should have them unless the weight is removable like just cargo vans.

The rear bar will contribute a lot to directional stability of the front because it reduces understeer, giving the front tires more traction so steering corrections are are more effective and can be less steering wheel input. I found the rear bar to be the biggest contributor to ease of driving and directional stability, and we have done essentially all the handling improvement changes, I think.

The wheel offset, at least on our van, did not have a large effect on the directional stability from what I could tell. In regards to handling getting to the factory offset did make for less scuffing when turning. At low speeds I could always feel the van fighting the front wheels so on tight right turns, it just felt off a bit. If we were on gravel with big offset wheels we could hear a lot gravel slide noise on turns. It also improved how it held on cloverleaf type turns a bit with stock offset, but not huge.

That looks like a concrete driveway in the pic, which is what we have also. To put the van in the garage, I need to back up close to 150' with a 90* turn and lots of jockying to line up and a 9' door. With the AR wheels that kind of maneuvering left skid marks from the front wheels turning and scuffing. Early on when I was still "learning" the best way to get there, the driveway looked like we had burnout contest on it Once we changed the wheels to stock offset, no skidmarks at all, which really surprised me. If you do hard turn maneuvering going backwards, to see any marks left on the concrete?
Yes I do have scuff marks all over my driveway as I back into the corner. When I got home yesterday with the new wheels my driveway was wet so hard tell if I scuffed more rubber onto driveway.
Moto Metal M970 16x8
Old 01-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
I like the idea of higher load capacity but mostly getting an additional 1/2 inch of ground clearance. I am looking to lift my RT front and rear in the near future so I can gain ground clearance.
Moto Metal M970 16x8
Old 01-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #8

Default Rear Sway Bar?

Regarding adding a rear sway bar, it sounds like a nice upgrade, but I've seen some posts indicating it is not straightforward due to interference with the Onan generator. We have a 2014 190P. Thoughts or advice?
jamesv999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Would the 265's rub? An inch Seems like a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Hokie, I put 265's on a 07C210P. no rubbing, but it is closer..
Roadtreker357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:31 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesv999 View Post
Regarding adding a rear sway bar, it sounds like a nice upgrade, but I've seen some posts indicating it is not straightforward due to interference with the Onan generator. We have a 2014 190P. Thoughts or advice?

There are only a couple of swaybars made for the rear of the Chevies to start off, Hellwig and Roadmaster.

The Hellwigh is an normal mount to the axle and arms to the front of the van and will interfere with the generator. It is possible to move the generator back a couple of inches, though, but takes some skill to do.

The Roadmaster bar mounts with the arms to the rear and most accounts have said it clears the generator OK, but my take some bracket tweaking to get the endlinks connected to the frame and bar.

The Hellwig is probably 1/2 the price of the Roadmaster so that can be an issue and probably cover moving the generator by a shop or a DIY.

I did a full custom install using dirt track quick bar parts and custom mountings an it is really nice but was a lot work and takes fabricating skills. This was on our 07 C190P Roadtrek that had a generator then, but doesn't anymore.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtreker357 View Post
Hokie, I put 265's on a 07C210P. no rubbing, but it is closer..

We have had the 265-75-16 tires on our 07 C190P Roadtrek for years and they are close in the front but not issues.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #13
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesv999 View Post
Yes everything Booster said! Mine only has the "engine generator" so no clearance issue. Adding the Bilsteins made a huge difference to me and when I installed the sway bar I was totally satisfied with the ride and handling. My wife comments on how stable it rides now the last 3 times she got in. I want to lift a few inches for clearance only and taking your lead by going with 2" spacer, adding black sumo springs, and for the rear I have airlift 5000 on order. So weather permitting will soon install.
Moto Metal M970 16x8
Old 01-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #14
Bronze Member

If the Onan is moved a couple of inches forward, will it make it even harder to add oil in an already cramped space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
There are only a couple of swaybars made for the rear of the Chevies to start off, Hellwig and Roadmaster.

The Hellwigh is an normal mount to the axle and arms to the front of the van and will interfere with the generator. It is possible to move the generator back a couple of inches, though, but takes some skill to do.

The Roadmaster bar mounts with the arms to the rear and most accounts have said it clears the generator OK, but my take some bracket tweaking to get the endlinks connected to the frame and bar.

The Hellwig is probably 1/2 the price of the Roadmaster so that can be an issue and probably cover moving the generator by a shop or a DIY.

I did a full custom install using dirt track quick bar parts and custom mountings an it is really nice but was a lot work and takes fabricating skills. This was on our 07 C190P Roadtrek that had a generator then, but doesn't anymore.
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:10 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
If the Onan is moved a couple of inches forward, will it make it even harder to add oil in an already cramped space.

I didn't say to move it forward, I said to move it back. There is a reasonable amount of space behind the generator in front of the propane tank. It has been do by others already, so definitely doable.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #16
Gold Member

Glad I found this post! I've been so confused about my -6mm offset AR wheels, and the +28 that it 'should' have. Since I currently have the -6 wheels, 295,000 miles and no problems, I am thinking I can skip all the fuss and just buy some easy to find 0mm offset wheels. Seems like it should be fine!
KaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote