Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 05:59 AM   #1
Sgp

Default Newbie question - what is a reasonable price?

Sorry if this is a repeated question, but I can't find an answer from searching these forums ...

I'm researching Class B's , and I'm struggling to understand what is a reasonable price to pay (as opposed to the price advertised). If I were buying a car, I'd go to KBB or Edmunds. Is there an equivalent for RVs? Or any general advice gratefully received.

Question applies to new and used.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Sgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I contacted my insurance carrier for a quote an a van I was interested in and they quoted me their "pay out value"...and I used that as a negotiation point with the seller.

pricing is tough, all you can really do is watch the market and see what selling prices are on ebay....craigslist prices were all over the place and made no sense.

1st step though is figure out which brands and models have the features you need- or don't.
for instance we are both tall- so that means no sideways sleepers- rules out 1/2 the models.
just 2 of us + dog- that means no 2nd row seats we want something that uses that space better
models with drop floors, i kept tripping on and roadtrek charges a premium for this ( it adds to the manufacture costs)

chassis- I work on my own stuff- a gm layout is familiar to me and shares filters and stuff with our other vehicles. with a domestic gas powered van, you can get parts and service anywhere.
maybe not so with an import or diesel.

pay attention to MPG, and also features which are proven vs "experiments" such as heating/cooling/solar. some of the newer features are costly.

roadtrek has brochures and manuals for older models online

pleasure-way will email you pdf's

we looked at roadtrek, winnie, rialta, chinook and pleasureway models and took note of features and build quality and in the end bought a 2006 pleasure way lexor on a chev 3500 chassis-

it is just great 18 months in.

in terms of cost we paid less than 30K cash, the seller has started off asking over $40K and was motivated ( HOA so they had to renew yearly storage rental) they also has a spelling mistake in the listing heading which meant that it did not show up in a search...search for variations in spellings!

BTW the insurance value is still thousands less than what we paid...

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Good tips!

I'll add NADAGuides - RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides - as an info source. It's useful as a rough guide.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:41 AM   #4
Sgp

Thank you both. Shame NADA seems to quote dealer listed prices for Motorhomes and not the finally agreed prices , but it and eBay look like a good starting points for my research.

I have a lot of work ahead of me.
Sgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #5

HOA? I am timnto and a new era too
timnto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
Platinum Member

"Home Owner Association".

Many newer areas in the US have homeowners bound by a code enforced by the HOA, this may regulate house colors, additions, windows, drapery and type of landscape, use of property ( guests/parties) and parking- most restrict RV's, work vehicles, street and some even driveway parking overnight.

In many States, the HOA has the right to issue fines or penalties and may foreclose or hold a lien on a property in arrears.

The Seller I reference lived in an area where he needed to apply in advance to bring his RV to his home- and once there was restricted to 48 hours at a time ( to load/unload for a trip)- other than that he had to rent parking/storage. His lease on the storage was up and he had to renew for a year unless he sold.

In context you may be able to tell that I am not the kind to seek out an HOA !

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I think I'd rather live in a tent at -40 than deal with an HOA. Not that I'm an annoying neighbor at all, but I don't want to have to follow someone else's rules for how my house and yard can look.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote