Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #1

Default Newbie questions

Hi I'm glad I found this forum...I'm in the process of looking for a used van rv...My dream is to take my two dd and travel the USA. BTW In my dream we're driving a Roadtrek...but in my reality our budget puts us in a 1990 conversion type van...just had a 1990 Horzin sold from out under us...as we were making the 3 hr drive to see it ...now have my sights on a 1990 Falcon. My biggest cryteria is that it's small ( easy to drive/ park anywhere) and secondly that it a safe place for the girls and I to sleep.....everything else is an added bonus. I have no RV experience so my first question would be for some newbies reading suggestion...like is there a RV'ing for Dummies?! LOL. And then if anyone has experience with the Ford Falcon can they share thier experience with this model and I'm courius to find something like a Kelly blue book version for RVs cause I'm not sure if the prices I've seen (anywhere from $3000 to $9000 ) reflect what this year and make are truely worth.

Thanks in advance!

Elisabeth
strawlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Newbie questions

Can't say I've ever seen the RV For Dummies Book - probably would have bought it then!!!
Don't let your dream turn into a nightmare and get a lemon, either in the engine compartment or the RV end of the deal. When you find something that strikes you as a "keeper" check out an RV place and take it to them for a once over. I say this because to have something fixed and the associated cost would be a big let down just starting out.
The folks on the forum will be more than glad to answer questions and direct you to the right places for info. There is a wealth of info here and they are always willing to share their knowledge and give solid recommendations.

Good luck in your search. Ron
Old 06-27-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
Platinum Member

http://www.amazon.ca/RV-Vacations-Du.../dp/076454442X

http://www.dummies.com/store/product...470184051.html

I did a very quick search on Google and there is a RV Vacations for Dummies. It looks like there may be several editions since I found a 4th in the second link above.

When we looked for our first RV, we lucked out. There were a few we were looking at but luckily got the one we did. The first RV we looked at, a friend owned and tried to sell it to us. Something didn't seem right so we never got it. Luckily for us because the person who did buy it, had the transmission drop out of it the first trip. The second RV was at a dealer but was sold just before we showed up to buy it ourselves. Again, we were lucky because the one we did get had roof air, dash air and was fully loaded. It was old but was in good shape.

I do agree having it checked by a good mechanic and an RV place would be wise even if you have to pay for it yourself. If there's something wrong, it's better to loose a little for the checks than to be out major $$$ for repairs.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrut
I did a very quick search on Google and there is a RV Vacations for Dummies. It looks like there may be several editions since I found a 4th in the second link above.
Thanks! I did find "The Everything Family Guide To RV Travel & Camp Ground" at the book store and I'm reading my way thru the RV 101 section here on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore
When you find something that strikes you as a "keeper" check out an RV place and take it to them for a once over. I say this because to have something fixed and the associated cost would be a big let down just starting out.
Sound advice!, Just not sure how to negotiate it.... in a private older model sale: ie from craigslist. So part of our plan is to go prepared have a checklist of things to physically check and question to asks. Look for sellers, who have all the vehicles records and such. What I still need help with is more specific info about the Ford Falcon 1990...especially what it's worth...can't seem to find much on Internet.

Elisabeth
Old 06-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

You could try this website. I used it before we bought our rig.
http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.a ... p=0&f=5602
It might be what you're after.
i found this as well...I left out the "ford" keyword, and just searched for "1990 falcon rv price" in google.
http://www.rvtraderonline.com/find/brow ... s-b/FALCON
and there are more hits out there.

Welcome to a sea of former "newbies", btw.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #6

Ok...got a bit distracted with... "Life".. during our search for a used "B" class in our price range....but with crossed fingers we should be the proud /totally green (read inexperienced) owners of a 1988 Dodge Explorer RV in few days!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Gold Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Let us know when you bring it home......
Old 08-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Bronze Member

We recently purchased a 1999 dodge freedom. It has a electric sofa that folds down to make a bed, and adding a narrow board, make a queen size bed. We plan on traveling, and leaving the bed made during the trip. I am wondering if a memory foam topper would make it more comfortable. Also we are traveling with 2 Chihuahua's. Does anyone have any experience, with a portable type pet carrier, that might fit between the two front seats, maybe a soft side collapsible type. The youngest dog would feel more safe if she had something to hide in. The older dog, wouldn't need to be in it. Thanks for any comments
judyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Try the forum search facility (top right corner of most pages) and use the keyword "pets" (no quotes).
There are a few hits for travelling with pets on here. You can catch up on our experiences with them.

Good luck,
Mike.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #10

My wife made what I call a (cat in the hat) out of a old bath robe.it looks like the hat in the comic strip.she had to make two one for each of the chihuahuas.If the don't sleep in it they sleep in it.
thedoodaa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:59 AM   #11
Lou
Platinum Member

Look up RVbookstore.com they have lots of good books for beginners and beginning buyers and it is easy to order. Even if you don't buy something there you could check your local Library once you have some titles.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
Platinum Member

There are lots of pet carriers on the Internet. I decided to get a get a 'seat belt harness' for my small (13#) dog and put a towel on the back seat. He can see out the window and move around a bit, which he likes. You can keep the harness on the dog and attach your leash to it. The harness is adjustable and goes on and off quite easily.

Unless the carrier is attached to the seat belt in some way, your dogs will become projectiles if you stop suddenly.
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote