Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2019, 03:43 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Newbie trying to decide on a Sprinter van

Hello Folks,
I am new here. My husband and I have a Toyota Tundra with a Adventure cab over camper. We had a 5 year plan and now are into our 6th year with it. We want to go on some longer trips and are in the process of trying to sell it. Seems like we do have some interest.
So what do we purchase? We had and loved our 1971 VW Westfalia however no toilet (that is a must have now). We love the Mercedes Diesel Sprinter van but seems like they are either tricked out too much and very pricey or are empty and need a conversion and that is costly as well. So on to the Ram offerings. We considered the Hymer but read lots of problems with batteries and those functions and now the company went out of business. The Ram Fleetwood looks amazing and La Mesa RV is offering a steep discount on the 2019 because they say the 2020's are in. I have read some questionable things here about this particular vehicle.
Can you all share your insights. We want a 20 foot size not the 24. We would like to spend around $75,000. Of course less is possible. What are your thoughts.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #2
Platinum Member

That Fleetwood Irok strikes me as a lot of shiny gloss on a typically slapped together bag of commodity RV parts such as the Suburban furnace and water heater. But to be clear I do not own an Irok and my past experience with questionable Fleetwood quality may be showing. But before purchasing I would suggest finding an Irok owner with at least a season of usage to see how it's sorted out.

If you liked the clean efficiency of your Westfalia but need a bathroom and more modern conveniences you might consider the new Winnebago Solis. It combines more sophisticated heating, plumbing, and insulation 'bones' with a relatively simple interior designed for ruggedness and usability in the field. With typical Winnebago discounting it will probably be available around your target price.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It is always sticker shock when you start looking at Class B RV’s. A new van itself is $40-45k by the time you pay tax, etc.. You quickly see that you don’t get much in a new Class B RV in terms of features and quality for $75k when the company and dealer need to make a profit besides. Of course, the used market is the first place for some to save some money.

A good and fun place to start is Sportsmobiles web site. They have tons of info online including lots of pictures and prices. I probably learned more from their website than anywhere else when we bought our van.

https://sportsmobile.com/
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
Silver Member

Default Thank!

Wow! Your take on the Irok is exactly what we were thinking! We checked out the Winnebago Solis and its great! Way more our style! I need to see if they make one without the pop top. We don't need that and maybe the price might be just slightly less expensive. Thanks to you were going to explore the Solis. I appreciate your thoughts.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
Silver Member

Thanks for that web site.......were on it!
Old 11-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Pacificstar, As another former Westfalia owner, I'm impressed with the Pleasure-Way Tofino pop-up van. However, you'd have to pack a cassette toilet as it doesn't have a wet-bath. Best wishes in your search. https://pleasureway.com/models/tofino/
Old 11-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificstar View Post
We checked out the Winnebago Solis and its great! ... I need to see if they make one without the pop top.
The Solis 59P pop-top model was just introduced for the 2020 season. Traditionally Winnebago introduces new models and floorplans at the Elkhart RV Industry show in September where dealers place inventory orders for the following season. So 2021 model year would likely be the earliest possible date for a new version.

You're not alone in wanting a fixed-top Solis. Over on the Solis Facebook page the most common modification requests are for a fixed top version, rooftop AC (which becomes possible with a fixed top) and inverter/microwave option. Winnebago does listen to customer feedback and often expands the floorplan options for successful models. And all the early indicators are that Solis will be quite popular.

If it's worth waiting for a fixed top unit you might want to make your desires known to Winnebago through their Facebook page, website, or directly to Russ Garfin, Winnebago's compact coach director featured in the Solis video.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:47 AM   #8
Silver Member

I’d take a look at the the new coachman class b’s based on the transit chassis (dually version). Prices vs amenities seemed extremely reasonable when we checked them out in Hershey in September, and we had a feast experience speaking with their sales staff.
Van_Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #9

Default Caution with LaMesa

One small caution with La Mesa, their prices are great but go in knowing you will not get service after the sale. Be sure to pick a unit you can live with at delivery because that's as good as it will ever be. LaMesa sales ppl are the best around, service however is overwhelmed, understaffed and under trained. Read their reviews. Buyer beware.
Rob W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificstar View Post
Hello Folks,
I am new here. My husband and I have a Toyota Tundra with a Adventure cab over camper. We had a 5 year plan and now are into our 6th year with it. We want to go on some longer trips and are in the process of trying to sell it. Seems like we do have some interest.
So what do we purchase? We had and loved our 1971 VW Westfalia however no toilet (that is a must have now). We love the Mercedes Diesel Sprinter van but seems like they are either tricked out too much and very pricey or are empty and need a conversion and that is costly as well. So on to the Ram offerings. We considered the Hymer but read lots of problems with batteries and those functions and now the company went out of business. The Ram Fleetwood looks amazing and La Mesa RV is offering a steep discount on the 2019 because they say the 2020's are in. I have read some questionable things here about this particular vehicle.
Can you all share your insights. We want a 20 foot size not the 24. We would like to spend around $75,000. Of course less is possible. What are your thoughts.
I looked for several years myself, travel in 2015 transit connect Mickey Mouse setup, then got a steal on 2019 Winnebago Revel. I agree abit spendy, but I love it.
Bungawoosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Check out YOUTUBE.com and enter MB-Sprinter and then look at
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=MB-Sprinter
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #12

Check out Ultramobility for Class B reviews. Recommend you go to Pleasure Way website as well. Send me an email if you would like more input. I wish you well with your pursuit.
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #13

I recently paid your budgeted amount for a 2015 sprinter RV. My only advice is to buy from a dealership with a good reputation. I have brought it back 3 times to rectify issues including heater, awning, gauges, frig, battery. If I had purchased it from a private party, I wouldn’t have this option. If you do purchase from a private party spend the money to have it inspected by a reputable RV inspection company beforehand.
KathRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:23 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Comment on Ultramobility on YouTube. Just keep in mind he is very Pleasureway biased, and that his words have to be taken with a grain of salt as there's a lot of misinformation in his videos.
Another so-called "expert" trying to make money off of his YouTube channel.

Otherwise, look at a 2017-18 Winnebago Travato used as you can easily get into one of them at that price point. Possibly a lightly used 2019 also with the right seller

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:07 AM   #15
Bronze Member

I have a 2018 Coachmen’ Galleria 24Q which is on the Sprinter chassis. There are some showing up used around 80K. I’m not selling mine as I like it a lot. After having it almost 2 years all the bugs are worked out. I bought mine new but I think it would be better to buy used 2 years old.
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q
Kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:33 AM   #16
Platinum Member

6 years ago, we decided to downsize to a Westfalia like camper van. We had 2, one in 1977 and other one in 1985 and loved them both. This van campers experience led us to new camper van decision. Unfortunately, there was nothing meeting our needs like 360 windows, factory road clearance, toilet or Westfalia like layout. The closest was Safari Condo but purchase was complicated.
So, we embark on our own conversion and it was a good choice. We purchased new Sprinter and within 6 month it was in a “Campable” state.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #17
Silver Member

You are so right, the Torfino is nice and looks like a VW camper in many ways. We need a easy acceptable toilet and perferably a was bath. I appreciate the suggestion.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #18
Silver Member

Default Thank you for all your valuable input!

I have read over all your comments and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your wisdom! La Mesa RV sales guys are great, good to know about the service department! We are listing our truck/camper combo today. Got the truck detailed over the week-end and I pulled out my bedding and towels..........now wish us luck. Then on to the next adventure!
Old 11-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #19

I agree. They say buy like new but well traveled. We finally have our working like a dream of course we are selling now. Have loved my Galleria
I want he says sell.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:37 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Good luck with your RV Venture - Regretfully the Sprinter chassis is outdated with regard to its engine, transmission and suspension. While the 2020 models did upgrade the transmission to a 7 speed, better electronics, for the most part, the remainder of the van is still old technology. Plus you have to pay 20+% more for the badge on the grille.

Even though I still own a 4x4 Sprinter, I would highly recommend that you drive a Transit, you'll find it offers a much smoother suspension over the Sprinter and a bit more performance. Another advantage of the Transit is it offers a low slung chassis design with low profile tires, so there is 50% less roll moment when compared to a Sprinter.

The new 2020 Transit offers even a more powerful diesel engine than a Sprinter and a 10 speed transmission instead of a 7 speed. If you're planning on using the RV during winter, Transit now offers an affordable all wheel drive van chassis. (my next RV chassis) My 4x4 Sprinters the transfer box is terribly noisy. Never understood why every manufacture can build a silent transfer case, except for Mercedes.

Most important - with a Transit you can get service and maintenance anywhere at an affordable price, while on the other hand, Mercedes dealers are few and far between and charge major funds for anything, plus they do not know how to fix anything quickly LOL

Regards - Mike
IdleUp is offline   Reply With Quote