Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 01:36 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Newbie with Dodge Ram350 problem

Hi guys
I just bought a 94 Dodge Ram class B made by leisure travel.
I got the generator to start but was puzzled why the microwave & a/c had no power to it. On shore power they both worked fine. All switches on fuse panel are on (up position ).
2) water pump turns on and tank is full but only get a good spurt when just Turning it on then 1 sec later it's a very weak dribble.
3) lit the propane refrigerator but didn't think it stayed on because I saw no flame in dinky window so shut it off. Next day felt the rear tubes of the frig and they were hot! So it was working but feeling the inside it was not cold? What's up?
Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:22 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forums.

I believe I can only answer #2. You either have a crimp or a leak somewhere.

When the pump turns on the pressure builds. Then the pump shuts off when it sees the required pressure but something is preventing flow.

You can find your Owners Manual at the link below.

Leisure Travel Vans - Owners Manuals
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks for the rapid reply & link Bruceper.
The water pump is loud and takes about 30 seconds for it to stop. Could the filter be clogged?
Leisure travel doesn't seem to list a class B in 1994?? Am I wrong???
From googling I'll have to see if the generator has a circuit breaker on it to see if it tripped. Fuse box is ok.
Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Does your frig take a full day to get cold??? 24hrs?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have a 96 class b and my fridge took overnight to get going and it was barely working on LP gas so I plugged it into shore power and switched to electric. It then got cold and has worked well on all three settings. I think my fridge hadn't been run in a very long time by the previous owner . It might have needed the 110 power to get it boiling. Some here have talked about having to burp it. Take it out and turning it upside down. Then trying to bench test on 110.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Your generator does have a breaker built into it.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Interesting, I didn't look at the links on the page I sent you. The closest class B manual I could see was 1995. While it might not be exact, it could help.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:47 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Interesting, I didn't look at the links on the page I sent you. The closest class B manual I could see was 1995. While it might not be exact, it could help.
Thanks Bruce!
I think I figured out why generator wasn't powering outlets! I don't have a automatic transfer switch on my 1994....I physically have to take the shore power long cord and plug it into an outlet where I store the cord. The outlet comes out of the generator!!! Haven't tried it yet cuz i'm using shore [power to boil up my frig at the moment. I also figured out the power outlet tripped it's ground fault behind the frig so that's why if wouldn't get hot on shore power! The coils in the back of the frig is now hot to the touch so something is happening. I'll check the interior in a few hours to see if it works.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:48 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
Your generator does have a breaker built into it.
Thanks Stan. Now I can't see it-only feel a toggle and can't tell if it should be up or down. I have to get one of those automotive mirrors on a stick to see what it says. Is yours a toggle and is it up or down for normal?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:52 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
I have a 96 class b and my fridge took overnight to get going and it was barely working on LP gas so I plugged it into shore power and switched to electric. It then got cold and has worked well on all three settings. I think my fridge hadn't been run in a very long time by the previous owner . It might have needed the 110 power to get it boiling. Some here have talked about having to burp it. Take it out and turning it upside down. Then trying to bench test on 110.
My old smaller RV had a house hold 110 current refrigerator in it that fired up really fast on my solar panels. I could also hear it right away due to the compressor buzzing which tells you it's working. This propane, 12v-shore power stuff is way different and slowwwww. I guess it's best to plug into shore power the night before you want to use it...then switch to 12volt while driving?????...then when you get to your spot switch to propane????? Does that sound right? Lot's of hum bug steps to follow and remember.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I think you found the generator issue. Plug it in then deal with the breaker. I can't remember up or down. I can lay underneath and feel it as I'm installing a tow hitch in the morning.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:19 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Update: I found out why my water wasn't coming out of the tap. The water filter that's attached to the side of the water pump was full of green crap! The can be cleaned and reused (good thing). You unscrew it by pushing down and twisting left like a medicine pill bottle. Water flows like a champ now!

Generator now powers micro, AC (guessing refrigerator) and outlets now but it only does it for 2 mins then generator dies and won't restart until I let it sit a few mins, then same thing. I'm guessing the fuel filter is clogging and only allowing enough fuel through the fuel line to power it for 2 mins. That will be next to change.
Changed the oil yesterday. Not to hard. Onan 2800 takes exactly one quart to fill. Mine is tucked up under the van so pouring oil into it took gymnastics and a funnel LOL!
Willl continue to report back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7223.jpg (218.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-29-2015, 06:48 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I hope you're right about the fuel filter but on mine it needed a new carburetor. $200 online. I have a handy brother in law so we did it together. I paid him a $100 but got off cheap. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Stan youre right not the filter. runs for exactly 1min and 45 sec then shut off. wont start then after 10 mins it cools down and fired up again and runs for same short time.
I'll keep at it.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #15
Bronze Member

Update: Decided to fire the generator up again and it stayed running for some reason. Must of been a air pocket so fuel wasn't going in or something or bad fuel finally got used up? Don't know why but all good with the generator.

Bad news: looks like the refrigerator cooling unit has a blockage according to the good folks at RV Cool. They were very helpful even tho they knew they couldn't help me in Maui.
Any body have luck removing there frig and turned it upside down to unblock it??? According to RV Cool that method is a old wise tale and doesn't work.

Most likely will change to a 110 volt cheap house refrigerator and use a solar panel to run it.