Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
You can't beat Collinite for lasting protection.
I figured I'd deal with this issue by trying out multiple products, and so I did get the Collinite. I have put it on the front end and wheels so far. It seems pretty good, like 1970's wax but more sophisticated.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Location: East of world famous Sedro Woolley, west of Concrete

Another vote for nu-finish here.
Now, with trip reports!!!!
skagitstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:25 PM   #23
Gold Member

Anyone used this on their fiberglas top?

Meguiar's Marine / RV One Step Compound?

Plan on purchasing a jug to use on my Roadtrek.

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:07 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Not claiming to be an expert just relating my experience over 40 years of restoring, painting and modifying rolling stuff.

Whether dealing with single stage, base/ clear paint systems or gelcoats the first order of business is getting a clean surfàce. Washing won't get rid of surface contamination and you're just waxing over very fine embedded grit.

Once a year on all our vehicles, I go over them with a wash, then clay bar using a suitable lube (I like optimum no rinse), then a quick wash, then wax. I've tried Collinite 845 , synthetics, carnubas, and many other good waxes but I've landed on NuFinish. Lasts just fine until the following year. I know its not fancy and not pricey but I've honestly not found anything better.

Wash your van and run your hand over the surface, then use a fine grade clay bar and try it again. Literally a squeaky clean surface ready for wax. This is the key to getting a good long lasting wax finish.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:07 PM   #25
Platinum Member

I've used Nufinish for years and like it. But if there's a scratch you'll see a white haze develop after a few days. A bit more Nufinish will polish it out with a deep rub.
This summer I plan to try this product from WashWaxAll: WaxAll, it's a ceramic based wax. I've used WashWaxAll dry washes for years and it does a great job. Nice to be able to touch up your ride in a few minutes without using water. Many campgrounds out west don't allow washing your rig.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:22 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Nufinish is great stuff for a daily driver, lasts a long time, easy to put on, but doesn't come up to a super bright shine like some of the others. When I had a many coats of lacquer and clear car I showed, I would use Nufinish on it first then go over it with Race Glaze to get the super shine. Lots of finishes will do that now, but don't last long. My 96 Roadmaster wagon that I painted a couple of years ago with PPG Omni aftermarket paint and clearcoated with their clear that is claimed to mimic new car shine and texture has no wax on it yet and shines fantastically as sprayed. It does have that plastic look that lacquer does not have, though, so not as classy. But it is daily driver in the summer so is always dirty and buggy.

I have settled on Collinite paste wax which goes on well, lasts well, and shines very well, for all the vehicles. Does a very good job of keeping bugs from sticking and easy to touch up on the hood and fenders after scrubbing off a week of bugs.

Like all things RV, and hundred people will have 102 opinions on what wax is best, so to each their own as long as they are happy with it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:49 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Our ten year old RT has been outside the entire time we have owned it. It does not receive anywhere near the amount of heat, sun and UV as your Texas rig; however, this stuff may be worth trying.
We have applied OptimumTM CAR WAX for nine years. It provides a soft lustre and claims to be the only spray wax with with a patented polymer/carnauba system that protects paint and vinyl and mouldings against UVA and UVB for up to five months.
It applies easily as a light spray followed by soft microfibre buffing. Our white RT still looks like new, including the fibreglass roof.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:57 PM   #28
Bronze Member

I have been disappointed with many waxes that I spent a lot of time applying. I’m happy with this wax I started using after I seen this video of a guy that tested some waxes:

RTRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:04 AM   #29
Platinum Member

An interesting thing for folks to try if they want to.

60 years ago, when I was much younger, one of the neighbors was putting Simonize on his big wagon before a long drive west coming up. My father asked him why he wasn't polishing off, as he was leaving it untouched after applying. What he said was that if you don't wipe it off right away nothing will stick to it on the long drive in the bugs, tar, etc and when you get there just wipe it off and all is clean and good very easily. I have found that to work quite well on our van. I put Collinite on the hood edge and fenders ends and wipe it off later. Smear it on for the trip home and much easier to clean after getting back.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:04 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will let you all know how this rubbing compound works on my Roadtrek fiberglass top.
KurtFranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:52 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Kurt: I used this on my fiberglasstop:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had gone up to do some minor things with the ceiling fan and discovered that the fiberglass paint was chalky and coming off on my hands. This appears to have restored it to a smooth surface with no spalling.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:36 PM   #32
Platinum Member

"Like all things RV, and hundred people will have 102 opinions on what wax is best, so to each their own as long as they are happy with it"

So true lol. Like what oil is best ....
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:40 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Trek View Post
"Like all things RV, and hundred people will have 102 opinions on what wax is best, so to each their own as long as they are happy with it"

So true lol. Like what oil is best ....
I used to clay and hand wax occasionally. Too much work for me now. I wash with pressure washer, foam cannon to apply soap, scrub with Griot's microfiber mop with extension and rinse with DI water. Allow to air dry. Touch up spots with quick detailer where necessary. For waxing, I use Griot's Poly gloss boss. Use thru a foam cannon. Allow to set on vehicle for 6-10 minutes and rinse with DI water. The Poly gloss is used every 3rd or 4th van wash. After everything is dry, I spray 303 UV protector on all of the plastic, rubber trim and tires.

I have found these very easy to do. Getting the equipment out takes a bit of time. Since I have a high top van, I purchased an aluminum scaffold to get to top of van quicker in place of ladder.

Here is Griot's Polygloss: https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...inkCode=df0&hv
Old 05-22-2022, 01:52 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
Anyone used this on their fiberglas top?

Meguiar's Marine / RV One Step Compound?

Plan on purchasing a jug to use on my Roadtrek.
FWIW - Purchased and used this on the roof of the Roadtrek. Worked well, followed with a coat of Nufinish. Took about 4 hours total with doing it by hand and moving the ladder reaching and stretching to get the middle areas of the roof. Actually it is a tad dangerous - gotta be careful for sure.
KurtFranz is offline   Reply With Quote