Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #1

Default Nissan NV400?

Folks

Planning an 18' Class B to replace our Westfalias after 20 years and 200K miles.

Promaster, Sprinter, Transit, Chev Express all have plusses and minuses.

I recently came across the Nissan NV400, currently sold in Europe but not US. Apparently a reworked Renault "Master." Four lengths, three heights, FWD and RWD options. Looks like a solid alternative.

Since GM picked up the NV200, do you suppose they'll use the NV400 to replace the Express/Savanna?

Specs for the "L2H2" FWD model that I'm focused on:
Vehicle: 145" WB, 219"L, 81.6"W (w/o mirrors), 98.5"H
Load area: 121.5"L, 74.6"H, 69.5"W, 381CuFt
44.4' turning circle, 6.9" clearance, 21.5" load height

Your thoughts? Likely to show up here in the next year or two?

Larry Burt
Portland, OR
LarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The van that would provide the best competition and range of options would be the Iveco Daily but not any recent rumors pointing in that direction...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

I don't think so. If any European van come from GM, it'll be an Opel designed/engineered one.
It'll be awhile in any case as GM no longer has anywhere to build one in the USA....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
Platinum Member

a B can be a nice step up from the westy- nice to be able to walk around while the van is moving...

beware of anything which is yet to be "road proven", give at least a few years to see how a chassis works out, and the costs per mile.

If you want to make the move sooner than later, look at a used unit to fill the gap- I have a PW on a chev and it is fantastic- cost per mile is very low.
service and parts anytown, any auto parts store.

but hang onto your gowesty catalog- I've been using them for parts for my fiamma awning and other bits

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I'd think, after driving Westfalia's, that the Promaster would be the most "familiar" to you.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Yes. The dimensions look quite similar. In Europe I often can't tell the difference between a Master and a Ducato (Promaster body) until I see the badge.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Does look like the Renault Master could be a contender in North America for GM. Need to find production capacity somewhere for it, maybe a new joint venture plant in Mexico with someone?
Old 02-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I've seen a couple of these high roof Nissan vans in parking lots here in California:
Nissan Commercial Vehicles 2016 NV2500 & NV3500 Work Vans
From the outside, they looked like me and my 6' body could stand up inside of them.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Roadtrek built a camper on the NV2500 for a few years that was sold by Roadtrek and Nissan. Here is an overview from some guy who seems to be a big Roadtrek fan...

The Nav-6: SUV/Minivan/RV and moreRoadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog
Old 02-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
I've seen a couple of these high roof Nissan vans in parking lots here in California:
Nissan Commercial Vehicles 2016 NV2500 & NV3500 Work Vans
From the outside, they looked like me and my 6' body could stand up inside of them.
That has got to be the ugliest vehicle I've ever seen...and I know ugly. I drive a Promaster.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
That has got to be the ugliest vehicle I've ever seen...and I know ugly. I drive a Promaster.
The high top Nissan frankenvan surely gives all other van owners a warm feeling that they do not own the ugliest van on the market...
Old 02-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
I don't think so. If any European van come from GM, it'll be an Opel designed/engineered one.
It'll be awhile in any case as GM no longer has anywhere to build one in the USA....
The Opel Movano/Renault Master was supposed to be GM's eurovan two years ago. No new GM van in sight!
an album on my FB page
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2388992&type=3

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
The high top Nissan frankenvan surely gives all other van owners a warm feeling that they do not own the ugliest van on the market...
Yes, I agree, the Nissan is the ugliest van ever produced, but I believe more and more that Van Love is an acquired taste. The ProMaster wasn't love at first sight, but owning one makes you change your mind. I do find now that it has a interesting look. Like a cute bulldog!

The only Nissan upfit I liked was Outside Van's approprietly named Kodiak. But even then, a Kodiak boot is better proportioned!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7474720&type=3

Old 02-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #14
Platinum Member

My experience with Nissan and their service department is not that great. Think I once said, "Never again. Ever!"
Old 02-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
That's why I noticed those Nissans. They looked like somebody had glued a bunch of mismatched vehicles together and called them a new product.

Also, I think Mike Wendland (the Roadtrek fan) is a paid consultant. He appears in one of the Roadtrek videos and the Roadtrek site has a link to his Roadtreking blog on their home page, so I assume he's getting paid by them. I could be totally mistaken, however.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Smile

Quote:
Also, I think Mike Wendland (the Roadtrek fan) is a paid consultant. He appears in one of the Roadtrek videos and the Roadtrek site has a link to his Roadtreking blog on their home page, so I assume he's getting paid by them. I could be totally mistaken, however.
Really?! Do tell!
Old 02-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's why I noticed those Nissans. They looked like somebody had glued a bunch of mismatched vehicles together and called them a new product.

My comment referring to Mike as some guy was an attempt to be clever. It is well known by many people here that Mike Wendland is paid by Roadtrek to do PR for them through his various Roadtreking activities including the Roadtreking website, his blog, and Roadtreking: The Group Facebook group.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Really?! Do tell!
Aren't you being cute today...
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 PM   #19

Default NV400 and NV2500/3500 are Totally Different Beasts!

NV2500 and 3500 are cobbled up Titan Pickup Trucks with a steel body over the bed. Not very space efficient, not of any interest to me.

NV400 is a modern Euro Van. Similar to Fiat Ducato/Promaster, but available in FWD, RWD, and AWD in Europe. A few inches narrower than Promaster, an inch better ground clearance.

The 136 high top Promaster I tested had marvelous room, but I was put off by the pronounced tilt of the body, not even close to the advertised 21". More like 25.5 rear, 23 side. Maybe someone's figured out a fix by now. And the width becomes problematic for me:

I've become accustomed to using the Westy as a second car, and as a city tourer as well as open road/parks/etc. Park anywhere a car can park. We also live in the city, narrow driveway, narrow streets. It will be hard to make the switch to anything much less maneuverable. Thought the Metris might be the answer, but terrible ground clearance (4.3") and much tighter inside than I would have thought, just had a look at one last weekend.

Larry B
Portland
LarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:37 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB View Post
The 136 high top Promaster I tested had marvelous room, but I was put off by the pronounced tilt of the body, not even close to the advertised 21". More like 25.5 rear, 23 side. Maybe someone's figured out a fix by now. And the width becomes problematic for me:
Larry B
Portland
The solution for the ProMaster tilt is to load it. The 159 EWB doesn't have such a pronounced angle because of the length and the rear overhang, but if it's empty it doesn't behave well, it doesn't ride as well. When I did a test drive of an empty 2500 Pro I was impressed by the FWD and the power of the Pentastar combined with the trans, but worried that a loaded one would loose some agility. It actually was better when I drove our upfited van. I use it everyday, driving around the city, even if it's a 21', 9000 lbs beast! Every review of the van confirmed that the engineers tuned that vehicle to be loaded.