Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 02:07 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Mike seemed to think his underfloor custom air conditioner was something he could get fixed easily but I expect he has learned otherwise that places to get it serviced are not in the RV repair business and probably not that common...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Warranty work or any work by RV dealers is a pain in the A. Just recently Mike Wendland had a air conditioning failure on the road and he couldn't get service right away.

I had a macerator failure the week before Memorial Day in North Carolina. I called around to all the Camping Worlds between NC and Indianapolis (my next destination) and couldn't get an appointment. I ended up going to Advanced RV.

Then in June I had a suspension air bag leak in Louisiana. Advanced RV overnighted a replacement and made arrangements for a Shreveport Mercedes Benz dealer install it immediately after it arrived and I was in and out in 1-1/2 hours.
Probably would have been nice to have the secondary dump system be just hook up a hose and pull a handle. Seriously, though, this is exactly why we made ours with a true dual dumping setup and no converting needed to go back and forth. Probably the only real thing that Roadtrek has gotten ahead of the crowd with lately, on the Zion.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I do have a secondary dump system. The macerator is a portable unit that bayonet mounts. I wanted it repaired facing being out on the road for another month.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I do have a secondary dump system. The macerator is a portable unit that bayonet mounts. I wanted it repaired facing being out on the road for another month.
Of course you do, we all know that, but it is an inconvenient and messy setup compared to a true dual dump (Marko certified as was discussed in another thread). A true dual dump would have just been a simple gravity system after the macerator failure, with no added disasssembly or added mess, that was exactly the point.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #25
Platinum Member

ARV, it seems to me, has done the macerator option right. Easy to gravity dump and easy to repair or replace the macerator since it is a portable unit. I don't see any issue with it myself.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
ARV, it seems to me, has done the macerator option right. Easy to gravity dump and easy to repair or replace the macerator since it is a portable unit. I don't see any issue with it myself.
So you would take the ARV system over the Zion system?
Old 07-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't see a big difference between the two, the Zion is easier to use the gravity dump but harder to fix a broken macerator, the ARV is easy enough to do a gravity dump when needed and easier to fix/replace the macerator. I agree that the Zion is a cleaner design and a good job by Roadtrek. Either is better than the older design I have with a gravity dump under the van somewhere.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't know how to interpret this. I would take an ARV over a Zion, period. You get what you get. I once preferred gravity over a macerator but have since changed my mind. Macerators are quicker, cleaner and easier to use. However, they are more prone to failure. If I wanted to I could quickly remove the portable macerator and return to gravity. But like I said, I would be on the road for another month. I wanted it fixed.

As for worrying about which is better, Zion or ARV it is kind of like a spare tire of which is better, under the van or mounted on the hitch. To me it matters not because I don't carry a spare at all knowing if I have a flat there will be no way I will change it.

However, I suspect with my experience, ARV might rethink their design. I know they wish they could use a much better marine macerator but they haven't figured out how to get it to fit yet. This is the one they currently install. They don't use that hand held operating device. The switch is built in.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Davydd, I think the question was directed to me since I was quoted but if you want to answer it I guess that is just dandy but it was specific to the maceratior setup not a question of a Zion vs an ARV...
Old 07-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #30
BBQ
Platinum Member

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote