Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #21
BBQ
Platinum Member

I doubt RT has crash tested the SS.

I could be wrong.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I've heard that too from multiple sources. If you change anything in the cab area, then you are required to crash test the RV.

JH of Roadtrek told me that they do this with each new model and it's very costly, as it has to be fully RV fitted.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #23
BBQ
Platinum Member

There are lots of marketing spin on the seats.

What we can garner from different sources so far:

1. The seats have factory covers because of the built-in airbag.

2. The PW Ascent toilet is butted right up to the driver's seat. There is not even enough room for the seat to slide back, let alone swivel.

These are info from the web. They might not be the truth.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #24
Gold Member

FWIW, our 2016 Ascent seats both swivel (drivers seat doesn’t get impeded by the cabinetry behind it). Wonder what changed with the layout if in fact the drivers seat doesn’t swivel now either...
Old 12-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheral View Post
FWIW, our 2016 Ascent seats both swivel (drivers seat doesn’t get impeded by the cabinetry behind it). Wonder what changed with the layout if in fact the drivers seat doesn’t swivel now either...
Interesting... did you buy the van new or used? I am really surprised a 2016 has swivels unless it was built on a 2015 chassis but considered a 2016 PW?
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I doubt RT has crash tested the SS.

I could be wrong.
I have heard that RT does indeed test their vans so they can modify them. Also, how could they have swivels on the SS Agile if another Canadian manufacturer (PW) on the same chassis stated they cannot without testing. That being said I am going off of what both companies say in their brochures but the testing and such came from individuals that contacted the companies. I have not heard it first hand so who knows. However, regardless of the reason PW does not have swivels on the 2016 chassis.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I was told by Sportsmobile that they can now once again order new Sprinters with swivel seats from the factory. There web site even states this now with 2017 Sprinter models.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #28
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
I was told by Sportsmobile that they can now once again order new Sprinters with swivel seats from the factory. There web site even states this now with 2017 Sprinter models.
A reason to wait for PW's 2018 models (built on 2017 chassis)?
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPotomac View Post
A reason to wait for PW's 2018 models (built on 2017 chassis)?
Consider checking with PW first. Just because Sportsmobile may order them with swivel seats does not mean PW will.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #30
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
Interesting... did you buy the van new or used? I am really surprised a 2016 has swivels unless it was built on a 2015 chassis but considered a 2016 PW?
Yes ours is on a 2015 chassis. The point I guess I wasn’t very clear on was that the driver’s seat swivels just fine even though the cabinetry is right behind the seat.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #31
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Consider checking with PW first. Just because Sportsmobile may order them with swivel seats does not mean PW will.
I just checked with PW. As usual, they answered promptly and fully. Note the good news at the end of the message:

2016 model 2500 Sprinter chassis on which we build the Ascent and Roadtrek builds the SS Agile have not been available with swivel seats if in the recent past they were supplied by other manufacturers they were adding after-market swivel solutions. This in our mind and upon advise from Mercedes Benz would possibly compromise driver and passenger safety, something we are not inclined to do. The problem arises with the air bag safety systems. These systems are tested throughout the range of motion available with the factory supplied seats. If an aftermarket seat swivel is added it may take the possible seat position out of the tested range and leads to potential for the airbag to deploy at apposition on the occupants body that may cause injury or harm. Now you will be pleased to hear that Mercedes has recently started shipping the 2500 series chassis c/w factory approved swivels. These are available now on the 2017 Pleasure-Way , 2016 Mercedes Benz chassis.

No one knew this, not even the Fretz salesperson I emailed!
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #32
Platinum Member

The problem is solved easily with an ignition interlock and alarm so you can't drive without the seats facing forward and locked. That is what WGO has done from day 1. Why PW doesn't want to add this is questionable.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPotomac View Post
I just checked with PW. As usual, they answered promptly and fully. Note the good news at the end of the message:

2016 model 2500 Sprinter chassis on which we build the Ascent and Roadtrek builds the SS Agile have not been available with swivel seats if in the recent past they were supplied by other manufacturers they were adding after-market swivel solutions. This in our mind and upon advise from Mercedes Benz would possibly compromise driver and passenger safety, something we are not inclined to do. The problem arises with the air bag safety systems. These systems are tested throughout the range of motion available with the factory supplied seats. If an aftermarket seat swivel is added it may take the possible seat position out of the tested range and leads to potential for the airbag to deploy at apposition on the occupants body that may cause injury or harm. Now you will be pleased to hear that Mercedes has recently started shipping the 2500 series chassis c/w factory approved swivels. These are available now on the 2017 Pleasure-Way , 2016 Mercedes Benz chassis.

No one knew this, not even the Fretz salesperson I emailed!

Awesome that's great news. Now if only they would get rid of the old propane generator...