Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default No RVs at Walmart

Here is an interesting Facebook group. For the record, I stayed at 8 different Walmarts this year. Most of the time those were in cold weather when campgrounds were closed or we stopped late in the evening. All were one night stopovers usually moving on by 9 AM at the latest.

https://www.facebook.com/No-RVs-at-W...64901/?fref=ts
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The only place I've ever seen a big crowd of RV's at walmart was down at myrtle beach. Overnite is banned there, but with the checkout times as they are (later than usual) people park there until they can get into the big resorts.

For the record, I think the woman behind this page is being a bitch and exaggerating some excesses to put pressure on the local Walmart manager and their city council.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:20 AM   #3

Sure a ton of whining going on in that thread. Guess it's ok if not directed at the mothership.
VaVet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:41 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I saw a comment somewhere that the woman who started this facebook page owns an RV Park. Now that makes her agenda obvious.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:27 AM   #5
Bronze Member

When I stopped at Wal-Mart tonight at Roswell, NM the young lady at the customer service desk said it was OK to park as long as they didn't get any complaints about me. Complaints? Yeah, like wild parties and stuff. I said I'm 60 and traveling alone, do I look like I'll be throwing wild parties? Jeez! She said you wouldn't believe what some RVers do out there.

Sounds like they've had some problems in the past at this location, but it would be nice not to get scolded before even doing anything. Anyway, I've stayed in lots of Wal-Marts and have seldom seen RVers breaking the rules of etiquette. Most are well behaved and just want to get a quiet night's sleep. The partiers are an example of a few bad players spoiling the game for the rest of us, which unfortunately leads some cities and businesses and citizens to want to ban us.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:34 AM   #6
Platinum Member

worse case scenario...

Officer shot, another man killed at Walmart in Cottonwood - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

This group of inbreds was 'camping' at the walmart in their suburban.
there are other articles describing days of incidents leading to the finale...perhaps a pattern of altercations going back years.
...and they claim to be "spreading the gospel".
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Platinum Member

It appears the Facebook group site I referenced has been taken down.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahai View Post
Sounds like they've had some problems in the past at this location, but it would be nice not to get scolded before even doing anything. Anyway, I've stayed in lots of Wal-Marts and have seldom seen RVers breaking the rules of etiquette.

We are at least three generations out from a more restrictive society to what we have today. I see the current mindset as 'justify our actions as being okay and don't get caught'.

When we initially setup our home in CA and left our NC home (to travel West), our neighbor of 15+ years started using our NC property as a parking lot and hosted parties in our backyard without our permission. They were unaware we had real-time video monitoring and continued this behavior until we asked our local police officers to pay a visit during one of their parties.

Only when they were told there was real time video footage and we were watching remotely from the time we left NC did the abuse end. These were self-professed church -going bible carrying christians. We have now adopted camera monitoring in our cars and homes because many people will not admit wrongdoing unless confronted with video evidence.

The concept of staying at a Walmart on occasion sounds great as a concept but we have found it is more frequented by those living in cars and vans (not RVs) who want a safe place to shelter at night.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
The concept of staying at a Walmart on occasion sounds great as a concept but we have found it is more frequented by those living in cars and vans (not RVs) who want a safe place to shelter at night.
And?

Walmart allows it. What distinguishes a person traveling in a car different than an RV? RVers are not the anointed. Also, at many Walmarts semi truckers stop for an overnight rest. The critical thing is the behavior and courtesy of the guests (overnighters) and the use of the parking lot so as not to interfere with Walmart operations and business. Being private property it should be of no business to others. Of course you can cite abuse examples but what percentage are they?
Old 11-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
And? Walmart allows it.
I wish I was so certain about 'facts' as you appear to be.

Have you relocated to CA recently? Have you spent years living in the Bay Area of San Francisco? Vehicles that park and do not move within a certain amount of time are asked to leave and their license place information is recorded at many CA Walmarts.

Bay Area Walmarts

The Walmart locations near my home in CA do not allow for those living (not traveling) in cars and vans to shelter. I spoke to the Walmart store managers I have frequented. In larger high housing cost cities, what i cited is not rare and security has had to ask people living in cars / vans to leave after staying on a frequent basis.

When Home Is Where You Can Park It - www.missionandstate.org

For a long while, the Wal-Mart Stores chain was known for its tacit willingness to let RV-ers use its parking lots overnight. In the evening, the campers served as a de facto security force, making sure that no one did anything to give the police reason to come calling. In the morning, the campers frequented the store, often buying their day's food and supplies there. Gradually, more and more Walmarts became less hospitable to the community. Word quickly spread among the van dwellers about which ones you could park safely in without getting in trouble.

The New Homeless: Living Behind the Wheel

Van Dwellers Hiding
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #11
Platinum Member

So what's your point? Only rich people should live in or visit California? Because that is surely the way it's trending.

Are you saying what is happening in the Bay Area is happening all over and should be outlawed everywhere? If so, that is simply not the case.

It may be an issue in 1% of the Walmarts nationwide.

You may be concerned enough to not do something yourself, but where do you get off telling everyone else what they should be doing, or not?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We have often talked about Walmart overnights, and figured if we needed to find a place to stay we wouldn't hesitate to make it Walmart. As it turns out we have never needed to do it, as there has always been a campground of some sort around. It is worth it to us to pay a bit for a non service campground as we find it more enjoyable. We also try to work out timing of travel vs staying so on long days we can pick a full service campground, and do laundry at the same place.

The Walmart in Rapid City, SD was as absolute zoo when we went shopping there a few years ago. Big trailers, class A's, popups, you name it. Slides out, tables and chairs, kids on bikes all over, people trying to squeeze in with huge rigs. Close to the Black Hills and Custer Park, and free, so I guess that is what you get. It is the worst one we have seen, and most are not bad at all.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:

Have you relocated to CA recently? Have you spent years living in the Bay Area of San Francisco? Vehicles that park and do not move within a certain amount of time are asked to leave and their license place information is recorded at many CA Walmarts.
As in my opening message I mentioned just this year alone I spent overnights in Walmarts 8 times. That was pretty much coast to coast, so yes, I have some 'facts' outside your little narrow observation. We have a pretty good country of well behaved citizens.

BTW, I consider the Bay Area of San Francisco nice to visit but not to live. That's your choice. It's a big country.

I also traveled the Alaska Highway in 2012. I know of the place the RV campground that Facebook group creator owned. Most campgrounds along the Alaskan Highway are nothing but glorified parking lots. $42 is pretty high for what you get when all you are doing is traveling through. You are allowed to pull over anywhere on the highway rest stops and pullovers and stop for free. If you have a self-sustained Class B that is the preferred option. People choose the Walmarts (of which there are very few) because of the perceived safety and convenience of the store for supplies.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:51 AM   #14
Platinum Member

You don't need to park at a Walmart in the Bay Area. You can pretty much park on any street with no parking restrictions. There are thousands of people living in RV's all over San Francisco and Oakland and they stay in the same locations for weeks, maybe moving once a week for street sweeping. It is very tolerated at the moment. I would argue that it is probably one of the most RV friendly big cities in the country. Behind Los Angeles.

Just check out Google Street View in SF. Tons of full timers. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7500...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:

Bay Area Walmarts

The Walmart locations near my home in CA do not allow for those living (not traveling) in cars and vans to shelter. I spoke to the Walmart store managers I have frequented. In larger high housing cost cities, what i cited is not rare and security has had to ask people living in cars / vans to leave after staying on a frequent basis.

When Home Is Where You Can Park It - www.missionandstate.org

For a long while, the Wal-Mart Stores chain was known for its tacit willingness to let RV-ers use its parking lots overnight. In the evening, the campers served as a de facto security force, making sure that no one did anything to give the police reason to come calling. In the morning, the campers frequented the store, often buying their day's food and supplies there. Gradually, more and more Walmarts became less hospitable to the community. Word quickly spread among the van dwellers about which ones you could park safely in without getting in trouble.

The New Homeless: Living Behind the Wheel

Van Dwellers Hiding
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:41 AM   #15
Platinum Member

The California supreme court recently decided in favor of people living in their cars on public streets but that does not extend to private property. I am amazed that any business would allow overnight parking simply because of liability. I am glad Wal-Mart allows this but I'm afraid it will go the way of the Dodo.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:08 AM   #16
Platinum Member

I believe the state law actually failed to pass to allow anyone to live in their vehicles, however in LA its legal, because somebody sued and won. I think public streets are for the public, its unfortunate some people live like slobs and make it look bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909 View Post
The California supreme court recently decided in favor of people living in their cars on public streets but that does not extend to private property. I am amazed that any business would allow overnight parking simply because of liability. I am glad Wal-Mart allows this but I'm afraid it will go the way of the Dodo.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:29 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Old 11-18-2015, 03:47 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I was wrong 9th circuit court. see below.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:49 AM   #19
Platinum Member

's No Longer Illegal to Live in Your Car in Los Angeles
Friday, Jun 20, 2014, by Adrian Glick Kudler

2014.01_veniceparking.jpg

[Image via Kevin Balluff / Curbed LA flickr pool]

Rents are insane, housing supplies are short, and buying is one giant "pffffffft" noise going on forever, so housing options are housing options here in Los Angeles, and now finally the Ninth Circuit Court has struck down a law that made it illegal for people to live in their cars. The law had been on the books since 1983 but the city only started enforcing it in 2010 (with a 21-officer task force) when those notoriously complainy Venice residents started complaining about waste and trash on the streets, according to the Guardian. (In January, a group of Venetians finally dropped a years-long battle to kick cars and RVs off the streets overnight.) The ban forbid anyone from using a vehicle "as living quarters either overnight, day-by-day, or otherwise," and officers all had different interpretations of what exactly that meant, so enforcement was selective; officers were arresting people just for having stuff in their car and even when they were parked in private parking lots. One of the four homeless people who sued to overturn a lower court's decision upholding the ban had been pulled over in her RV for failing to use a turn signal but was cited instead for living in the vehicle.
As one Ninth Circuit judge wrote, "[the ordinance] is broad enough to cover any driver in Los Angeles who eats food or transports personal belongings in his or her vehicle. Yet it appears to be applied only to the homeless." That of course makes it potentially discriminatory and unconstitutional. The AP adds, via the judge's opinion, that the ban "criminalizes innocent behavior."
Old 11-18-2015, 05:41 AM   #20
Bronze Member

Being a Los Angeles homeowner I see this firsthand every day. A major street next to my neighborhood is often lined day and night with RVs of various types. Some park within the neighborhood in front of schools or a local grocery store or, in very rare cases, in front of homes on quiet streets. Recently several began parking in the lot of the library/civic center/park. For at least four years I've seen the same old class A parked on a commercial street where I work out.

My libertarian leanings tell me fine, leave them alone, it's OK for them to park in these places. I'm all for it.....as long as they behave themselves. Most of them do so, but occasionally I see sacks of garbage on the sidewalk next to an RV, and articles in the Los Angeles Times have described homeowners in neighborhoods other than mine complaining of RVers changing clothes outside, setting up lawn chairs and BBQ grills on the street directly in front of homes, and even dumping waste tanks along the curb. That's where my tolerance of it ends.

Just like in the Wal-Marts, it's the few RVers who have an "I'll do what I please" attitude that makes people want to turn against Rvers staying anywhere except out of sight and out of mind.