Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #21
Platinum Member

If I was to start a Class B from scratch I would probably do what MsNomer did - install & build around my kitchen with a Engel Chest Freezer but putting them in an existing Roadtrek (especially mine with the custom cabinetry taking up space), there is no way to retrofit a decent sized Fridge Freezer Engel in the previous fridge space without adding in a $300 high quality slide which still causes the fridge to hit the wall on the other side & then you lose the space above needed to open the lid.

Msnomer has a beautiful kitchen built around her unit with the top being part of the kitchen work space..

In NZ, we have a 48 year plus Engel unit we would take on trips & each year plug it in & it fired right up.

As MsNomer states, the Sansui technology is bulletproof & a Chest Freezer far more efficient.

As to some of the isotherm doors with a handle in the middle of the top center frame, I think it's because of the needs of the Marine user.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #22
Silver Member

Mex doc.... Free Health Coach!!".... you gave me the giggles again!! AKA... finding a positive in any situation!!
NW Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 09:57 PM   #23
Platinum Member

My Engel now has a little brother—an Engel MT22 that lives under the bed. It maintains 0° year-round.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:44 AM   #24
Platinum Member

You can move the Nova Kool handle to the other side, but it is screwed into the top of the door molding, and you'll leave two rough screw holes behind. I'll figure out a way to cover those...
Old 12-26-2021, 03:27 AM   #25
Silver Member

MsNomer... sounds like a nice setup!
NW Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:42 PM   #26
Platinum Member

We have the 6 cubic foot NovaKool (not sure what model number) in our Paseo, and it will hold two half-gallon milk cartons, no problem (for us it is typically one half-gallon of milk for my wife's cereal, and one half-gallon of Half-and-Half for our coffee. There is a little fold-up shelf that is designed exactly to fit two cartons.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:39 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauscs View Post
You can move the Nova Kool handle to the other side, but it is screwed into the top of the door molding, and you'll leave two rough screw holes behind. I'll figure out a way to cover those...
You can find plugs meant to cover the head of a phillips screw in multiple colors at an ACE hardware in their parts boxes. You can probably glue them into the opening.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:12 PM   #28
Bronze Member

Default IsoTherm easy to open

We have the Isotherm Cruise 85 and it easily holds 1/2 gallons (cardboard) of milk on the door.

Booster, it's also easy to open once you know the trick!

Just pull gently on the handle, give it 1/2 second to crack the seal and it opens effortlessly. Once Brandt at Sportsmobile showed this to us, it's automatic.

If you just pull hard, the seals will fight you for sure. Overall the fridge is super quiet, seems pretty efficient and kept up just fine parked 105 degree heat in Death Valley. We enjoyed ice cream that night!

The only downside is that the freezer seems to be sized for Europe and is just a tiny bit too small to hold a quart of ice cream. So we just put it in flatter container! (Ok, yes, ice cream is not essential, but if you get to Screaming Mimi's in Sebastopol, CA of McConnels, in Southern CA, you will want to store some for the road!)
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelm View Post
We have the Isotherm Cruise 85 and it easily holds 1/2 gallons (cardboard) of milk on the door.

Just pull gently on the handle, give it 1/2 second to crack the seal and it opens effortlessly. Once Brandt at Sportsmobile showed this to us, it's automatic.

If you just pull hard, the seals will fight you for sure. Overall the fridge is super quiet, seems pretty efficient and kept up just fine parked 105 degree heat in Death Valley. We enjoyed ice cream that night!

The only downside is that the freezer seems to be sized for Europe and is just a tiny bit too small to hold a quart of ice cream. So we just put it in flatter container! (Ok, yes, ice cream is not essential, but if you get to Screaming Mimi's in Sebastopol, CA of McConnels, in Southern CA, you will want to store some for the road!)

That may work in the future, but it doesn't now. What we do is disable the latch so isn't even in the picture for force and pull on a separate little angle on the edge of the door. The force to open doesn't change at all on the handle if we hold the center latch open and wait. Once the gasket gets older and dirtier, that may well change as it won't seal so tight, but right now it just sits there tight. We leave the latch disable when we are parked and the enable it when we drive so it can't get knocked open by the food and it stays tight all day and night.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 05:50 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelm View Post

McConnell ice-cream is the BEST in the World, lived in Santa Barbara for 6 years & visit several times per year. Wonderful family, it shows in their product!
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 12-31-2021, 03:04 AM   #31
Silver Member

I don't know if they really remove the temptation. It just means that if I buy ice cream, I need to eat it all at once!! LOL

or... have an impromptu "ice cream social"!
Old 12-31-2021, 03:09 AM   #32
Silver Member

Next time I am traveling through Santa Barbara, I will have to visit McConnell Ice Cream. Hope they are still there!
Old 12-31-2021, 07:11 AM   #33
Platinum Member

My friend used to own & was there every night at his franchise store on Mission & Chapala - he was a Doctor but said he got more pleasure out of serving Ice Cream.

In the stores the price of $8 @ pint unless it's Turskish Coffee or Island Coconut is more of a deterrent - you can still put your ice cream in the fridge, it just won't be rock hard
Old 12-31-2021, 04:09 PM   #34
Silver Member

Sounds like a wonderful spot to visit! Looks like it is still in business. Love coffee ice cream!
I can definitely see why a doctor would enjoy serving ice cream more than the high stress work of being a doctor.

I am a retired RN. Years ago, I was riding in an elevator at the hospital with one of our docs after we were both called in the middle of the night. He remarked to me that he didn't know how much longer he could endure the stress, etc. He died of a heart attack about a week later. He was in his 50's. Yes, the money is good but I would never want to go through what I saw so many docs enduring. And it seems to me that the stress for doc has gotten worse since then over the years.

Serving ice cream seems like a good stress release!!