Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default novakool or isotherm. 1/2 gal milk containers

I am getting ready to change out my absorption refrig for a compressor type.

Looking at the Isotherm 85L and novakool R3800.

I am wondering if either one of these can take a 1/2 gal. milk carton standing up? thank you
NW Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Lady View Post

I am wondering if either one of these can take a 1/2 milk carton standing up? thank you
My Isotherm 85 takes paper bottle and narrow plastic bottle.
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
Silver Member

thank you, George. I looked at your pics! Very nice! I noticed that your isotherm 85 had the handle in the upper left corner of the door. The ones I see online all have a central handle which would be harder to open I think.
Did you order that door as a "special"? or is that what all the doors were when you ordered your refrig?
Old 12-23-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
thank you, George. I looked at your pics! Very nice! I noticed that your isotherm 85 had the handle in the upper left corner of the door. The ones I see online all have a central handle which would be harder to open I think.
Did you order that door as a "special"? or is that what all the doors were when you ordered your refrig?
Mine is from 2013, see current classic. https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/u...refrigerators/

I replaced the front panel with 1/8" thick brushed aluminum clad sheet.
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Very interesting. I would not consider a fridge that couldn’t handle a gallon milk jug upright. I can handle that plus an extra half gallon in my 45l Engel. Milk is usually the limiter of our boondocking.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:50 PM   #6
Silver Member

Thanks... latch looks good!!
Old 12-23-2021, 05:08 PM   #7
Platinum Member

No problem for 1/2 gallon of milk in my door of Novakool R4500 and gallon will fit on shelf with shelf that opens up to lower shelf on left side.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We have the center latch Isotherm and IMO it is a very poor design. The latch lifts to almost horizontal and the force needed to open the frig with the magnetic seals is high so two hands needed by many people to open the door. This means you have to set down whatever you want to put in the frig.

We have a good solution that I put on our frig a couple of weeks ago that eliminates nearly all issues of the center handle force needs and still retains the ability to have the door held open a bit for storage ventilation when off. I can get some pix if anyone is interested. It is a completely easy DIY job.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:58 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We have the center latch Isotherm and IMO it is a very poor design. The latch lifts to almost horizontal and the force needed to open the frig with the magnetic seals is high so two hands needed by many people to open the door. This means you have to set down whatever you want to put in the frig.

We have a good solution that I put on our frig a couple of weeks ago that eliminates nearly all issues of the center handle force needs and still retains the ability to have the door held open a bit for storage ventilation when off. I can get some pix if anyone is interested. It is a completely easy DIY job.
Could it be? Isotherm and Nova Kool are primarily marine products. Marine standards are much higher. Products for marine use tend to be more robust because of the environment?
Old 12-24-2021, 01:33 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:

I am wondering if either one of these can take a 1/2 gal. milk carton standing up? thank you

If someone can measure a half gallon bottle, I will check my R3800
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 02:02 AM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:

I have the Novakool R3800. I know a 1/2 gal plastic milk container fits in the door. I also put a gallon plastic bottle of water on the bottom shelf of the fridge. The wire shelf above has a section that lifts up so it fits. I'm sure the 1/2 gal carton would fit too.
DRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:29 PM   #12
Platinum Member

My Vitrifrigo fridge takes two half-gallon milk cartons standing upright in the door, plus two 48-ounce drinking water cylinders on the same door shelf.

It’s certainly the best Class B appliance purchase we’ve ever made. Pics here, but that is an installation blog post, so you might want to skip over a bunch of the content.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #13
Silver Member

Booster.... very interested in your fix for the central handle. I can see that it makes easy to switch which way the door opens but the central handle seems like a bad idea. I have watch a few videos in which folks comment on the handle being problematic.
Old 12-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #14
Silver Member

Interblog.... great details for installation of your refrig! thank you
Old 12-24-2021, 03:30 PM   #15
Site Team

Yeah, the central handles do not seem like a winning design.
I assume they tried it in order to be able to offer those nice positive latches and still make the door reversible. On the ones with side latches, they have to offer separate SKUs for the left- and right-swing models.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #16
Platinum Member

The Novakool fridges the doors are field reversible and come so that you can just change the hinge to either side and the handle and the lock to the other. 10 minute job or less. I reversed my door on my Novakool.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #17
Silver Member

yes... love novakool handles... if only novakool could keep ice cream hard
Old 12-24-2021, 04:24 PM   #18
Site Team

I have always found our NovaKool handles a little cheap-feeling, with the soft plastic. That said, they work well and we have never had a problem with them.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
My Vitrifrigo fridge takes two half-gallon milk cartons standing upright in the door, plus two 48-ounce drinking water cylinders on the same door shelf.

It’s certainly the best Class B appliance purchase we’ve ever made. Pics here, but that is an installation blog post, so you might want to skip over a bunch of the content.
I remember this & mentioned how great it was & almost purchased the Vitrifrigo because of it (and they had one in stock/pre pandemic at a great discount).

They are very efficient unit as are the Isotherm but the carpentry cost for me to fit it in was too much of a compromise in my Roadtrek 190 & the Isotherm unit that fit was a little small.

NWLADY find the unit that fits in without too much or any, carpentry.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 12-24-2021, 07:35 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
yes... love novakool handles... if only novakool could keep ice cream hard
Think of Novakool as your Free Health Coach & Thank them for removing the temptation...