Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Obd 2

Just wondering - I already have a wifi OBD2 dongle that I used in our GMC Sierra diesel together with my iPhone and it worked fine.

I haven't done much research yet on our 2019 PW (2018MB Chassis) but I have the impression it uses a different plug - but that I can buy an adapter to a standard OBD 2 connector for a few $.

Is that all I need to do,or is there more to it than that - I'm not very well versed on these things!

I would like to at least have the ability to ascertain how serious a "Check Engine" light might be shouldI get one - and maybe even be able to cancel the code if need be, especially if it puts me into limp mode - depending on circumstances!

I did see that there are some rather "Spendy" code readers offered on Amazon specifically for the Mercedes - would I really need one of those instead?

Appreciate any info from someone more familiar - likely probably most folks here!

Thx ........ Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:02 AM   #2
Silver Member

My PM / Winne uses a std OBDII.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
My PM / Winne uses a std OBDII.
Is that based on a Mercedes Sprinter?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Silver Member

Oops, sorry it’s the Promaster chassis. On my T1N Sprinters I always found that limp home canceled when the engine was shutoff & restarted. These were on minor issues & it would go into LHM again as soon as it re-experienced the issue.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
Oops, sorry it’s the Promaster chassis. On my T1N Sprinters I always found that limp home canceled when the engine was shutoff & restarted. These were on minor issues & it would go into LHM again as soon as it re-experienced the issue.
Thanks - I am hoping to get fixed up wth some sort of (hopefully not too expensive) OBD2 reader that will work with our 2018 Mercedes Sprinter - if only to be able to diagnose what the problem is and how serious it might be.

For example on the last winter snowbird trip we made with our GMC Sierra diesel pickup and travel trailer, we had a check engne light come on - but no limp mode and all seemed ok.

With my OBD2 detector I was able to find out that it was just an issue with one of the glow plugs.

The weather was warm and no issue starting at all so rather than wasting at least a day if not more of our trip, I just left it until we got home!

Looks like no anser to my original question yet - ie if I just need an adater cable to connect the unique Mercedes connector to a standard OBD2 socket so I can use the BD2 device I already own, or do I need to buy a dedictaed unit for Mercedes - and if so, any lead on an inexpensive one!

Brian.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:05 PM   #6
Gold Member

I didn't know they were different. I had a Scan gauge on my 08 Sprinter and getting ready to order one for my Promaster. I thought that was what OBD II was aabout - everyone being the same.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
I didn't know they were different. I had a Scan gauge on my 08 Sprinter and getting ready to order one for my Promaster. I thought that was what OBD II was aabout - everyone being the same.
Well, maybe you are right - but from what I saw on youtube it seemed like the Sprinter has a round shaped socket rather than he normal trapezoidal (right word?) PBD2 socket.

Guess I'd better go to the van and pull off panels to find it and be sure! But they certainly do seem to sell adapters - I just was hoping tp confirm that if I buy an adapter it will then most likely work ok with my current OBD2 wifi dongle that I used with iphone, ipod, or ipad on our GMC truck.

I too thought OBD2 was supposed to be a universal thing, but if so, why would MB use a different socket ??!! I don't know much about these things!

Brian.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Obd 2

Sprinters have a standard OBD2 port. I have a Scangauge II and an Automatic device hook up at all times via an OBD2 ribbon cable splitter as the case around the port is quite small. Both can read engine and related codes and Scangauge can clear some of them but I haven’t needed this feature during my first 45k miles.

The Automatic device is a tracking app and has some other features like crash detection. You can see it at automatic.com.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote