Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2023, 06:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default OBD2 monitor for trans

I have a. 2008C210P , 6.0l, 4 speed trans (don’t know the designation) I am looking for a suitable OBD2 monitor that I could use to keep track of trans temp +other things) on my iPad which I use for navigation.

Any suggestions welcomed. I know that Booster is on top of this, and probably oyhers.

Thanks for suggestions.

John
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
I have a. 2008C210P , 6.0l, 4 speed trans (don’t know the designation) I am looking for a suitable OBD2 monitor that I could use to keep track of trans temp +other things) on my iPad which I use for navigation.

Any suggestions welcomed. I know that Booster is on top of this, and probably oyhers.

Thanks for suggestions.

John

I have had a Scangauge on ours for many years and it works fine. Be aware that any OBDII scanner is reading an internal temp and not the pan oil temp like gauges traditionally have, so you will see some oddities that will surprise you until you get used to them.

The 4 speed transmission is a 4L80E which is a multiple upgrades over the years of the old Turbo 400 AFAIK based on what I have read over the years.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks for suggestions.

John
A Scangauge II will do the job. I have a brand new one if you want it. $50.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:35 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Booster, do you know if the Scangauge 2 can be programmed to indicate if the transmission is in out out of lockup?
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Booster, do you know if the Scangauge 2 can be programmed to indicate if the transmission is in out out of lockup?
I have looked for that and even contacted scangauge about it, and that is not an option that they offer. It is probably available as an output though, as I can data log and see it in real time on my HPTuner programmer and data logger. I used that a lot when I was reprogramming the shifpoints and lockup points on our van.

You might want to check with Bullydog and see what they say, as they have a similar programmer/data logger, but they use it in combination with their in cab monitor (it is big but has lots of information on it). They might be able to display it in real time while driving.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:19 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I use OBDFusion app on an old iphone dedicated to displaying gauges.

A Veepeak bluetooth obd port reader ( the bluetooth more robust connection than wifi on IOS)

Because the obd port is always powered on I have an inline extension cable with a power switch.

all in I'm at about $60

typical displays are tranny temp, engine temp, RPM, MAF
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:13 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have a Scangauge and have it programmed to display transmission temperature.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 02:29 AM   #8
Gold Member

I know you said you are using an Ipad. the free app "Torque" is a good one, but PRETTY SURE IT DOESN"T WORK ON APPLE PRODUCTS. You'll need an additional OBD2 dongle, can be had for about $20. The torque website has a good amount of info in the forum.

*it's "Torque" by Ian Hawkins, I see a bunch of imitations with torque in the name. I have Torque Pro, it's not very expensive
Old 05-15-2023, 12:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
i have a scan gauge 3 and it will display something called Torque Converter Slip. The number is positive when the input rpms are higher than the output rpms (providing gear reduction), negative when the rpms are less than the output rpms (providing engine braking) and zero when there equal which i interpret as lockup.
tgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:50 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgregg View Post
i have a scan gauge 3 and it will display something called Torque Converter Slip. The number is... zero when there equal which i interpret as lockup.
Been looking into the ScanGauge models. And, Yes from ScanGauge [via Amazon]:
Quote:
The lockup status would show as torque converter slip, where 0 would mean it is locked up. By ScanGauge in the United States on January 5, 2023
Looks like a useful device. Maybe a lot of redundant info, but useful.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote