Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: OLD SCHOOL CLASS B`s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Once a B, always a B........
Yup - on our travels we'll see 5th Wheels, Trailers, Class A's etc. that pass without comment but if we see a Class B it's like "Hey, there's a Class B" - or Roadtek - or Pleasure Way etc.

I'm leaning toward getting an older Class B as a project to keep me busy and for cost reasons. There are a few experts on these older machines / motors on this forum that I'll have to get advice and info from.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Hi Marko.

I have three old school vans and have been trying to post pictures for quite some time now without success.
My latest attempt,(today) got me as far as receiving a message that my photos were uploaded successfully and to continue... when I clicked continue the page became blank with the word "done" at the bottom. I tried this twice using the boxes to download the photos and cannot get past the continue instructions after downloading.

One of my class B vans is an Islander model and I know you have an interest in them. I also would like to learn more about them.
I have many photos of my camping adventures with my B Motor Homes which I share on 'Facebook (abacusblack) hoping to promote the class B and would like to post them here if I could. Please advise. ps. I download and upload many photos without any difficulty.
abacusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #23
Platinum Member

NOT EXACTLY A CLASS B, BUT
In the early 90's , I had a 1978 Dodge Surveyor conversion hightop with a 318. It got 13-14 mpg, and had the best floor plan I've ever seen. Sink, stove, icebox,loads of storage, even a sliding rail arrangement for a second bed over the cab. I've never seen another one. It was blue , with baby blue shag inside. Lived out of it for a year and sold it to go back to Thailand. The woman who bought it was going to live in it while she went to nursing school.

In 1998 I bought a 1977 Chevy hightop conversion with 93,000 miles on the 350 motor. It has a sink and propane stovetop. It had an icebox. My ex put big alloy wheels and Michelins on it, a sway bar,air bags. Also an inverter and second battery in it and installed a under counter 110 refrigerator. Found a little awning 2nd hand for $25. We put a hitch cargo carrier on it (for lawn chairs,extra gas,etc) and drove it from Montana down Baja to Cabo and back. Camped on the beach. Got many " you drove that old thing?" comments....The van is bright yellow and white, we removed most of the orange shag inside.....
I later drove it Montana- to- AZ , snowbirding, at least 3 times. It has 132,000 miles on it now. I'll be selling it ( cheap) next spring. It's a decent weekender anyway. I decided I wanted more creature comforts.
Last summer , I called on several mid- eighties models for sale, mostly Dodge Xplorers- I'd always liked how they looked. Most of them I called on had very high miles, and the owners were vague on the mpg. They are a classic, and all seemed to sell fast. The one that I test-drove, which was local and seemed well cared for, literally shimmied down the road, front end shaking, steering wheel vibration and pulling to one side. Although I liked the inside, I considered the suspension work , the low mpg, and gave it a pass.
I noticed a lot of the older Class B models have the bathroom in the back, which means you can't leave the bed made up. What was the advantage to that plan?
I like older vehicles- until last summer my car was a 1971 Duster-- but I'm so glad I found this '96 Bigfoot with only 35,000 miles. I guess in 10 years, it will be considered "old school" ........???
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusblack
...I have three old school vans and have been trying to post pictures for quite some time now without success........
I'm not sure what the problem is. I have changed some settings today. If you don't mind please try again. I did find a few "orphaned photos" which I attach here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20060919143121968_200864122624626962-display.jpg (23.8 KB, 3573 views)
File Type: jpg P1010001.JPG (128.9 KB, 3574 views)
File Type: jpg 89 fiesta 002.jpg (137.9 KB, 3570 views)
Old 11-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty
Hey Chip , I've read in your previous posts you use an external shower. My camper van ( 1988-89 Dodge wide body ) has no water heater . I've purchased Coleman's instant water heater , and it works like a hot dm! It even comes with a shower head attachment . So I'm going to rig up a small '' privacy'' house and try this setup using a 10 gallon water jug. The only problem is water runoff and wet feet . I've got to either make something to stand on which also collects the ''grey'' water . Any ideas ?
I use one of those grey, heavy duty "dishpans"..20"x15"x7"...the kind that they use in restaurants for stacking dirty dishes in and very inexpensive at restaurant supply outlets......built a 4" high, slatted cedar platform that fits inside. It is large enough to contain the greywater and keep the feet out of it! Both are easy to store and can be used in other ways as well.
Good luck
mamello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #26
Bronze Member

Hi again Marko.
I tried again to upload photos using Mozilla and the same thing happened so I tried uploading using opra and it worked.
The yellow 1985 Islander photo that you had is my class B. I only tried the one photo but tomorrow I will create a few albums of trips to Anacortes W.A. and the Fraser Canyon B.C. Thanks Marko.
abacusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #27

hi folks, new guy here. just bought a 85 chevy g20 sportsmobile for $2,200. no manuals or anything else came with it. it is solid and has always been stored inside. the interior is very nice and everything works good. it has a 305 w/4 barrel carb. has 69,000 orig. miles. i live in ny and plan on taking it to fl. for the winter to live in. i plan on towing a trailer with my ural motorcycle with sidecar on it. i hope its got the gutz. does anyone have any manuals for this rv? if so i would gladly pay for them. thanks, scott
uralny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I'd try contacting Sportsmobile for the conversion part manuals, and GM for the
base van manual part. I know it's not much help, but some googling might get you
closer to getting the manuals, or at least a downloadable version.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #29
Bronze Member

i have an old 1986 dodge falcon (intervec) that i probably will not let go. with the price of the new ones, even a math flunky could tell you that the old one can be remanufactured two times for the price of a new one. my van has thicker metal, no cat converter, no computer, burns leaded , unleaded or whatever. new parts are still available for this chassis. mine still has original stuff, but will soon need new carpet, new seats, newer type hot water heater and some fixtures. the hardest part to find is the roll over sofa. aftermarkets are missing this one! my beast still has the original paint which will shine if i rub it a little. i don't want to make it look too good because it could get stolen. i want it to run good but look old on the outside.
obiewan kanobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #30

Great thread folks. I'm getting a little discouraged hearing about the problems of 2006 Roadtrek owners. Hey - how about those of us who own a 1988 GMC van with an XTC conversion?
Bought it two years ago, have put some time into fixing it up, but mostly it's our home for vacations. Anyone know anything about XTC? It says it was assembled near Vancouver B.C. but it's hard to find out anything more.
Thanks
Andyjay
andyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #31
Platinum Member

http://www.tyloon.com/business_profile/ ... rated.html
http://www.hotfrog.com/Companies/Xtc-Conversions

about all i could find. seems to be an outfit called XTC Conversions in Elkhart, IN (go figure, RV Mecca).
the links to an XTC website appear to be down or obsolete.
you might try the phone numbers in the links i put up.

good luck,
Mike
Old 12-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #32

Thanks Mike - meanwhile if there are any other XTC's made in Maple Ridge out there, I'd love to hear from you.

Andyjay
Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #33

We have an '85 Dodge Ram 250 based Royale which was made in Orono, Ontario.The interior is similar to an early Roadtrek but reversed(sink,stove,fridge on passengers side).It has the 318 with the 727 transmission.We've put 40,000 kms on it in the past four years and haven't had any major issues. It's an orphan, but I still see quite a few on the road. If anyone has one I'd be glad to compare stories and modifications etc.

Woodgrain
Woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:48 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay
Thanks Mike - meanwhile if there are any other XTC's made in Maple Ridge out there, I'd love to hear from you.

Andyjay
I checked the NADA RV pricing guide thinking they've probably specced out at least one.
It has nothing listed under a manufacturer called XTC.
Sorry. It was my only other thought to try to get more info on them.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #35
Platinum Member

I received the following photos from Les.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslane
I just finished a 1988 Discoverer by Cobra class B on a E250 Ford chassis with a 351 Windsor engine and C6 transmission. It is totally refurbished top to bottom, front to back, inside and outside. It looks new and runs better as I upgraded the engine a tad with some Mustang heads, injectors, plenun etc. Will be installing some shorty smog-type headers soon also. It has a tub/shower, toilet, microwave, 2 burner propane stove, 3 way refrigerator (newly refurbished also) central heat, overhead and dash a/c, propane water heater, TV, VCR, DVD player, all new plumbing including the black and grey tanks, electrical, including the converter, carpeting, window seals, upholstery, air shocks, new fuel pumps and sending units in both tanks, all new exhuast system, brakes, rotors, 4 core diesel radiator, hitch-mounted 3500 watt generator, and my daughter is in the process of making custom window coverings for it as I am typing this. It has a new sound system in the dash with cd changer also. I know this sounds more like bragging but it needed all of the above mentioned to ensure a safe and reliable camper for my daughter to use when she gets time to go wherever she wants to. Its a fairly impressive little camper in that it has plenty of power, handles great, and even though it sounds like it should be crowded inside with all the amenities, it isn't. It is actually pretty comfortable, but if more than one or two people tried to go along, it would get jammed up I think. I am still working the TV antenna issues and may just put a dish on it, don't know yet. Thats what I did on my class A rig and I am very happy with that. So, thats the Yosemite Express as it was dubbed and rightously so as it will get many round trips there now that it is in such great shape.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Wow, not bad at all!
I hope the back windows have curtains for bio-breaks? (just kidding, I think they're drawn in the outside rear view)
The TV looks like it could become a projectile in a hard braking situation, but I assume it's anchored somehow.
I like the layout, it's different from any others I've seen. Looks pretty functional from the pics. Great space usage.
Very nice reno.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #37

Hey Andyjay, I think I have one of the XTC's made in Maple Ridge. I just picked it up a few months ago and have no documentation, but I remember that the guy I bought it off said it was manufactured in Maple Ridge. I'm in Ladner. I've currently got a large section of the inside gutted due to dry rot issues (leaking hose adapter or water tank on the drivers side, and a heater hose leak on the passenger side). I'm replacing the two little dinette seats with swivel buckets (with integrated shoulder belts) - seats found on craigslist out of a 2002 Silverado - I believe - and new swivels from Discount Van Truck out of the US. I can see that this will be a life long project. Mine is the ugly white/brown 1981 GMC in the attached picture. I see on Craigslist that someone is selling a Ford version from the same year. (I hope the pictures turn out when I clock the "submit" button. My apologies if they don't.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Passenger Side.jpg (8.0 KB, 2851 views)
File Type: jpg 1981 Ford XTC E350 exterior.jpg (4.6 KB, 2849 views)
mrkfltchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:50 AM   #38

Hey mrkfltchr - thanks very much for the photos. Ours doesn't look like that, but I'm pretty sure yours is an XTC. I have a neighbour who knows a bit about them and there was a company in Maple Ridge that made two or three different kinds. Mine is a 1988 so there is a bit of a difference. Yours looks like a beaut! Have fun!!

Andyjay
Old 05-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #39

how it going,i have a 79 dodge cobra all original and in great shape and i love it ,it's hard to fart around with itin my driveway because all the male neighbors come over and pestor me about how kool it is ,so as for waximg or anything other than charging i actually do it while i am kamping lol several people stop by to see if i want to sell it .i say keck no i just bought it lol,,chris
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #40

I have an 1984 Dodge 250 Custom Prospector 318 XTC from Maple Ridge and from the posts I've seen that unfortunately the company no longer exists.

I wonder if anyone has knows what these things are at each end of the bed are? They're hinged onto the backrest when the table is set and are about a foot deep running the length of the bench seats.

How does one attach a photo? When I click on Img some kind of code pops up which does not remain after preview or post.
Is it related to the browser I'm using? ( Google Chrome )

Thanks, Peter
pvdk is offline   Reply With Quote