Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Olympian Wave 3 heater.

Has anyone used an Olympian Wave 3 heater in their Roadtrek? I was just wondering what size you used and the results. Thank you.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski View Post
Has anyone used an Olympian Wave 3 heater in their Roadtrek? I was just wondering what size you used and the results. Thank you.
I would say it would do the job, but what's wrong with the furnace you have now that you'd add the risk and lose valuable storage space to carry a gas heater?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
Silver Member

I'm a light sleeper and when the furnace comes on I always wake up and have a hard time getting back to sleep.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I don't think I would ever sleep with an unvented combustion heater in the van. I just don't think it is a good idea.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
Silver Member

I've had two in my house for 15 years with no problems, you just leave the windows cracked like they tell you to.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I would never use one at night. For morning or evening it should be OK but I would just install a quiet heater like Propex or Truma. My diesel powered Espar is very quiet. All these heaters use outside air for combustion and exhaust to outside. I would never install a heater using a living space air for oxygen and exhaust back into the living space.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:38 PM   #7
Silver Member

Okay thanks I'll look into them also. However can anyone answer my original question? No need to warn me about the hazards I already knew about them.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:14 AM   #8
Platinum Member

A woman mounted a vented cat heater on the inside of the door under the sink in a 190. Open the door to use.
ThePlatCat Pictures used to be on the website. They used the small size. I think it was 3000 BTU.

http://www.ventedcatheater.com/photos
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:49 AM   #9
Silver Member

Thanks I'll research that one also.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
Silver Member

We’ve been using the wave 3 in our pop-up Aliner for 2 years and I just added one to my RT but haven’t camped in the RT yet with it. I had a quick connect gas line installed for it under the sink. We had few problems with it in the Aliner - condensation was the only issue which we were willing to put up with in exchange for sipping very little propane and using no battery power. It only raised the temp 20 degrees over the outside temps though and I’m not sure how that will be different in the RT. The “throw” of the heat isn’t very far with that heater but it does take the edge off.
Average_alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:30 PM   #11

Thumbs up I just bought one of these

HI, I just bought a Wave 3 for my van and used it when I went camping early November to Door County, WI. It was crazy cold and this was the first time I used it. Once I hooked it up correctly, it started easily and as long as the van is vented properly, it was very safe because there is no actual flame; it's radiant heat. I had it set up on my step stool and it lasted all night on low. The only problem is that the Wave used a lot of propane and my little 1#ers only lasted a few hours and ran out in the morning. The first night was in the teens and the next morning I had to turn on the van and run the heater to take the chill out. The Wave 3 is probably not powerful enough to heat the entire van on low, but I kept it near the foot of my cot and was OK. I plan to upgrade to a refillable tank about 2.5 gal that I think will last longer.
urbanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #12
Silver Member

I hooked mine up on a 25 degree night and on high it only took it up to 50 degrees. However I checked the propane pressure and it was only 6 in water column. I removed the regulator to find it filled with dark oily substance and am awaiting a new regulator.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #13
Platinum Member

This is comparing apples to bananas but I put a wave 3 in my 4x8x7 hunting blind that is insulated this fall. At 20 degrees and with 2 windows (12 inch wide) open 6 inches, it does not heat the entire blind very well at those temps. As a radiant heater, the best results are sitting in front of it of course. The remainder of the blind stayed cold as well as the 2nd person in the blind. I think the rating for comfort was based on 100 sq feet (can't remember); and I am at 32 sf with unsatisfactory results (imo). It's a nice little heater; but I see an upgrade next year. It does keep your coffee warm if you set your ss cup on top. My neighbor and his daughter use the blind and had similar results. I plan on running some tests with thermometers in different parts of the blind before I switch. Maybe it's just my imagination? I'm 68 and get cold quickly so my age may be an issue as well. Hope this helps. Sorry I have no quantatative results and it is all subjective at this point. Hope this helps.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #14
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski View Post
I hooked mine up on a 25 degree night and on high it only took it up to 50 degrees. However I checked the propane pressure and it was only 6 in water column. I removed the regulator to find it filled with dark oily substance and am awaiting a new regulator.
As an update I hooked my heater up to a 20 lb propane tank and under the same conditions it came up to 60 degrees inside my RV. It seems like only half the heater is functioning since only the bottom half has that orange glow and the top half is dark. The hose that came with it looks like it's a 1/8 inch opening rather than a 3/8". I'm going to try it next with a larger diameter supply tubing to see if that makes a difference.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #15
Silver Member

I’d get a wave 6 if you want it warmer but they are pretty big. Can be mounted horizontally and in a wall or cabinet.
Average_alice is offline   Reply With Quote