Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

Default Onan 2800 generator

I have a 1999 Dodge xplorer 230 xlw. I just recently bought this and want to know if I plug something into one of the 110 Outlets does the Onan generator start automatically or do I have to manually start it before I plug something in?
stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
Gold Member

Welcome to the forum. I also have a '99 Xplorer 230xlw. You need to start the generator yourself, it does not start automatically when something is plugged in.

The panel above and behind the drivers seat has your tank & battery monitors and the start/stop switch for the generator - it is a rocker switch, on/off/spring loaded start. Press the start until it fires and then let it go to the run position.

If it hasn't been run for a while, it may take several attempts to get it running - an you may have to crank it a while to pump gas from the van tank into the generator.
Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:40 AM   #3
mjb

You also need to have about over 1/4 of a full tank. This is to make sure you don't run out of gas for the road
mjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:50 AM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

You will need to run the generator for a few minutes first,
maybe 3 to 5 minutes,
to get the generator warmed up and at a steady speed (3600 RPM)
before putting on any heavy load.

Otherwise the generator might die on you.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:45 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard. I would like to throw in that in addition to having a minimum of a quarter tank of gas, you might want to throw in a couple cans of SeaFoam Gas Additive to clean up the carb on the generator. If you can, put it in, leave for a couple hours, and then fire it off. Ron
Old 07-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #6

I can not get my 2800 to take the load from the air conditioner. On one post I was told I needed a soft start. I believe the air Conditioner and the Onan are original. This should mean if I need a soft start it should all ready be there. Does anyone know what causes the gen set to ramp up to take a load when it is running right? Or am I thinking backwords. I have changed fuel filter, fuel pump. I have it running pretty good it kills when I turn on the load from the AC. The AC fan runs OK. Any ideas?
Bob Salmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Salmi View Post
I can not get my 2800 to take the load from the air conditioner. On one post I was told I needed a soft start. I believe the air Conditioner and the Onan are original. This should mean if I need a soft start it should all ready be there. Does anyone know what causes the gen set to ramp up to take a load when it is running right? Or am I thinking backwords. I have changed fuel filter, fuel pump. I have it running pretty good it kills when I turn on the load from the AC. The AC fan runs OK. Any ideas?
Try plugging in a 1500 watt space heater and see if it kills.

The Onan is not an inverter genny so it should always be running at 3600 rpms no matter how light or heavy the electrical load is. Assuming it's not over loaded.

The heater test will help isolate the problem. Also, does the A/C work correctly on shore power? Both tests will help localize the problem.

Post up results.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Salmi View Post
L cleaned my carb, put in new main jet ($11.00) used Sea Form, set the carb just a TOUCH rich and now it runs the reefer and the AC. Let it warm up well and start each unit slowly. 1987 2800 Onan.
3feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #9

Does anyone have a good source for parts for the Onan 2800 Gen set. That $11.00 needle valve sounds like a good idea.
Bob Salmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Of course, Onan would like to sell you a new carburetor, especially for later models where there be no source for carb parts. I guess Amazon would be my first search. You might find a small engine/generator repair shop which has been around for a few years where they might have a few old parts on hand.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Here's a source:
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/manufacturer/onan
Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #12
Gold Member

Have you checked the voltage and frequency output of the generator? If the voltage is too low or the frequency to far off of 60HZ it's not going to be able to handle much of a load at all. There are several steps that need to be undertaken, carb adjustment wise, to get this genny running properly, and include mixture adjustment (on older models only) idle speed adjustment, governor adjustment, and choke adjustment. The 2800 series are especially particular in regards to having all of these set correctly, but basically the end result you are looking for is for it to be running very close to 3600 rpm, and ditto for 120 volts and 60HZ when under a big load, and a bit more than those numbers when running without any load at all. You can find detailed instructions as to how to hopefully achieve these parameters here: https://b190.com/files/Onan-Cummins%...e%20manual.pdf
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote