Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Onan 2800 generator won’t start, overload?

Onan 2800 generator overloaded, quit running, won’t restart.
Had been running generator for 1.5 hrs with AC and refrigerator. We wanted to use microwave so shut off AC and started the microwave, the generator quit immediately. It will not restart and will not even turnover. When we press the start switch, the batteries draw down but nothing else happens so it’s kind of acting like a dead short? What do we do? And where do we start? We are on the road, any help would be appreciated. Full fuel tank, oil is good.
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:06 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Try to reset the generator breaker switch. It is on the control panel on your generator. Check your manual for the exact location.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I would start with listening for the solenoid to click when the start switch is engaged. If you hear it click the problem is probably in the starter. No click then tap the solenoid. Not sure how to get a hammer on the stuck starter.

Problem appears to be in the solenoid or starter. Poor battery connection could cause the same symptoms. A voltmeter on the solenoid output might give some insight. The circuit breaker has nothing to do with engine start.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You get the gold star. Yesterday I pulled out the battery box to check the Volt readings. So, after fiddling around for a while I pushed the start button to duplicate the draw down . Instead of a draw down the Benny started…. As you said a bad connection. I guess from opening and closing the box we had loosened one of the connections. So, this brings up a question when the new battery’s were installed they did not put lock washer on the terminals….. should there be lock washers? And if so what material should they be . SS or just zinc. Thank for your reply
M
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:54 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Lock washers would probably help. Material doesn’t matter as you should cover them with Vaseline or battery noco (the red stuff). I use vaseline.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote