Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Onboard Propane tank - refurbish or replace

Looking for insights on refurbishing or replacing the propane tank on my GWV. It's a Manchester #6811. It is leaking when I open the valve after being closed all winter, probably the stem packing. The tank is about 13 yrs old and I was considering dropping it, cleaning it up and painting and replacing valves and such. New the tanks look to be about $600.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Dave
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBad View Post
Looking for insights on refurbishing or replacing the propane tank on my GWV. It's a Manchester #6811. It is leaking when I open the valve after being closed all winter, probably the stem packing. The tank is about 13 yrs old and I was considering dropping it, cleaning it up and painting and replacing valves and such. New the tanks look to be about $600.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Dave

Don't have directly related actual experience, but unless the tank is "REALLY" rusty and pitted, I'm be inclined to do as you are thinking - ie clean, paint and change valve if needed.

Did you confirm with bubble test if the valve is leaking from the packing, or possibly due to corroded tank threads? If the latter, that could be reason to replace the tank.

If it is leaking at the packing, did you open the valve fully? Some cylinder valves have a "back seal" feature such that opening the valve fully will prevent stem leakage. I don't know if that applies to propane tank valves though.

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <<B-Guy>> View Post
Don't have directly related actual experience, but unless the tank is "REALLY" rusty and pitted, I'm be inclined to do as you are thinking - ie clean, paint and change valve if needed.

Did you confirm with bubble test if the valve is leaking from the packing, or possibly due to corroded tank threads? If the latter, that could be reason to replace the tank.

If it is leaking at the packing, did you open the valve fully? Some cylinder valves have a "back seal" feature such that opening the valve fully will prevent stem leakage. I don't know if that applies to propane tank valves though.

Brian.
There appears to be no leak until I start to open the valve. It leaks as I am opening (unscrewing) the valve and still leaks as it is all the way open.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I had a tank valve that was leaking also. It didn't leak when closed or fully open. Only in the process of opening. I had the valve replaced at a propane dealer. He evacuated the tank, put on a new valve and refilled the tank to 3/4 full. Can't remember the price but it was under $100. My foggy memory says around $45.

I agree with Brian. A propane place can also check rust/pitted condition and advise you if you aren't comfortable doing your own physical check.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:37 PM   #5

valves have two seats you must open it completely to BACK SEAT the vave leaks mid way are not a problem
revcon372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I believe Dave said it still leaked when fully open.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Have it checked out by a professional. I went to Amerigas to get the shutoff/on valve replaced. I asked the guy who repaired it, about a 40 year propane expert, how long the tank will last. He replied, "Forever".
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:47 PM   #8
Gold Member

I wonder if this would work as a replacement?

$125 on Amazon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 4.46.43 PM.jpg (99.3 KB, 16 views)
KaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Personal experience with a 1986 LeSharo MH that had been setting for about 20 years in a barn. Propane tank leaked just like yours and I burned off the propane with the heater overnight. I took it to a propane dealer and he replaced the valve and filled the tank. I later had to replace the regulator as it was leaking also. Had to use a 2 stage model as single stage was obsolete.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Propane Regulator.JPG (95.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Propane Valve Repair.jpg (276.7 KB, 13 views)
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Update: Onboard Propane tank - refurbish or replace

This spring I removed the tank. Scraped and sanded off all the loose paint and rust. I then treated any remaining rust with a rust converter, primed the entire tank and brackets and finished up with several coats of rust-oleum.
- Replaced the LP remote sending unit.
- Replaced the service valve
- Replaced all the hoses
I couldn't find the exact replacement hoses anywhere. I contacted this place up in Canada and it turns out they make the hoses per order so I gave them the lengths and size of fittings for each and they made them perfectly.
https://prairiebearingshop.com/produ...g/propane-gas/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1414.jpg (241.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg hoses.jpg (111.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Sender.JPG (101.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1447.jpg (129.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-12-2021, 10:02 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Looks pretty, but absolutely no other reason to do this. Your propane tank is good for about 100 years and maybe more.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote