Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 08:07 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default One Extra Large Black Tank in a Class B...

Before I replaced my typical RV Toilet with an imperfect solution, a 5.5 Gallon Thetfird Porta Potti I had a great idea.

I have a 2005 Roadtrek 190 with a 23 Gallon Black Tank & a 10 Gallon Black Tank.

There is a company called INCA PLASTICS in Adwlanto, just outside of Los Angeles who makes storage tanks for RV's.

My assistant called but by then, I had already decided to try the Porta Potti was a wise solution if albeit temporary. But i like it so far.

http://www.incaplastics.com/

For a while there, I considered doing away with both tanks.

Addding a small bladder 3-5 gallon system that would allow me to dispose of the Gray Water legally & having one large 30 gallon black tank custom made as a retrofit.

This would extend my previous every 10 day visit to an RV Dump Station in excess of 30 days.

You know your individual dump station needs.

All told, with some additional labour, fittings & maybe some minor modifications to your hose systems i don't think this would be in excess of $750-1200 installed.

Composting Toilets are not a viable solution.

Maybe an Incinerator unit is, more research is required on my behalf.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't know if it fits your usage pattern, but note that there is absolutely no technical reason why you need separate black and grey tanks. I have long been an advocate for a single combined grey/black tank. I had such a setup in our former Airstream Interstate, and I truly miss it in our current rig. Separate tanks make little sense--the are just one of those things that the industry does because that is how they've always done it.

Just something to consider.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Don't know if it fits your usage pattern, but note that there is absolutely no technical reason why you need separate black and grey tanks. I have long been an advocate for a single combined grey/black tank. I had such a setup in our former Airstream Interstate, and I truly miss it in our current rig. Separate tanks make little sense--the are just one of those things that the industry does because that is how they've always done it.

Just something to consider.

Yep, me too, wish our grey tank pipe to the "tee" were bigger so we could just use both together.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #4
Platinum Member

3 times as I was glad to have separate tanks: The three times my floor drain overflowed!
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
3 times as I was glad to have separate tanks: The three times my floor drain overflowed!
You need a check valve or a sealing stopper with a single tank. No big deal.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Stopper was out as I was using the shower. Fortunately the brownish water coming up around my feet was stained from coffee.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:14 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I didn't think of that because I go through the 23 Gallons of Gray Water capacity every 3 days or so when seeing Patients full time.

When not seeing Patients I can stretch it out to 6 days or so.

Yes if I had a 30 gallon Black Tank a separate issue would be the increased frequency of legally recycling the Gray Water out of a separate & smaller tank.

Water that would be collected & dispersed out of a separate drain, not the corrugated common dump hose.

There is a work around here.

For me, prior to buying the Porta Potti of which I did a lot of research on , the 30 gallon Black Tank idea would extend by a multiple of 3, my Dump Station visits.

Although I occasionally use the Generator because its there, now that my Battery Bank has been reconfigured & the Solar/DC Fridge/Whole system is performing like never before, I would consider removing the perfectly running Generator, giving it away & using that space for a separate gray tank.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote