Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Opinions on towing a travel trailer with a truck? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I've been thinking about the "bug" free aspect. The thought of bed bugs creeps me out.
Glad you said the words. 30 years ago, it wasn't even a consideration, but all you hear these days is one hotel or hospital or "rental cottage" after another has an infestation. We just choose to avoid it by taking our home/bed with us.

Quote:
I sent you an RVDirect Sale flyer Mike (from my Hotmail not classbforum email) It might get flagged as spam. I like those US prices
Just got it, and sent you a link to RV Wholesalers in Ohio.
They have some really low prices, depending on what you're looking for, but I believe you have to call them for their real prices, just to get you on the line. Apparently they make their money by selling extended warranties, but you just have to stand your ground and say no.
The online chat staff are all nice, but they will try to get you to divulge your phone number. I'm waiting until we get some more ducks lined up, and fill the pool, before we take the plunge. Just a few more details to work out.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Quote:
I've been thinking about the "bug" free aspect. The thought of bed bugs creeps me out.

I sent you an RVDirect Sale flyer Mike (from my Hotmail not classbforum email) It might get flagged as spam. I like those US prices
I can't say how they are now, but 3-4 years ago, when we were looking at Roadtreks, RV direct showed them with huge discount percents. Unfortunately, they bumped up the MSRP before taking the discount, so they were actually higher than some other dealers. Once we checked a price with them, they hounded us for years afterward.
Your evaluation was correct then, and it hasn't changed much, based on our experience to date.
So far, we've found that the initial contact is relaxed and cordial, while they size you up. Once they see
the size of your wallet the dialogue changes and they want to discuss pricing, and that's where the options and offers and hard ball tactics begins to take shape. The gloves come off.
I asked a sales guy we met at a local RV dealership that specializes in TTs, why the prices in the US are so much lower than up here, and I cited an example I found online. I haven't heard from him since.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #43
Platinum Member

RV Wholesalers will even deliver to Canada http://www.rvwholesalers.com/canadia...-customers.php A quick glance at some of the sale prices show a $10,000 savings compared to here - that's 40% off a $25,000 unit

Good idea to look through the RIV website http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx for importing rules, regs, procedures etc.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Yup.
Here's a great recap of what it takes to import a vehicle (RIV = Registrar of Imported Vehicles) from
another website (sorry) including each step in great detail.
http://www.4scf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2083
Old 02-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Rollin' On TV videos.
I haven't watched them but they might be interesting.

Cruiser RV & Light Trailers (Part 1)
[youtube:bsz87996]q0cEvHRKrpY[/youtube:bsz87996]

Cruiser RV & Light Trailers (Part 2)
[youtube:bsz87996]BrDQAdvzg2g[/youtube:bsz87996]

Cruiser RV & Light Trailers (Part 3)
[youtube:bsz87996]2v0CwyWm8H4[/youtube:bsz87996]

Cruiser RV & Light Trailers (Part 4)
[youtube:bsz87996]2nfyFNciRB0[/youtube:bsz87996]
Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #46
Platinum Member

I think this is the full Cruiser RV & Light Trailer episode:

[youtube:1jks8lxm]mR9IIZki29k[/youtube:1jks8lxm]
Old 03-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Still no progress on picking a unit. There are just too many variables, too many options.

After tons of emails back and forth with several retailers, and some sober thought, I think
the way to do this is, go to a trailer retailer, maybe based on internet pricing which looks
attractive, by proximity to us, by the recommendations of others, and by the way they treat
and respond to you online (I think it says a lot about the business, and their customer service).

Then we go to their place of business, and take our spreadsheet lists of "must haves" "should haves"
and "nice to haves", and narrow it down to a few trailers based on the numbers. If there are too
many issues, and it's too tough to pick one, then leave and try another retailer. Repeat this until
we find one that works in comfort and function, at a price which works for us, too.
Then we look at any things that are missing on the final selection, and add what can be done
inexpensively.
And that's (hopefully) it.
Sound reasonable?
What have I missed?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #48
Platinum Member

That sounds like a good approach to me.
The "haves" spreadsheet or list is good advice for anyone shopping for an RV.

Spent 5 hours at an RV show today
No Class B's at this show
A couple of C's, a few A's and lots of trailers and fifth wheels.

There was a Rockwood 2304 S that seemed to give a lot of living space for the size and weight. It had a Murphy bed that would come down over the sofa for sleeping. Not the most attractive thing to look at when the bed was up but at least you get the choice of a sofa to sit on.

A Koala 21CS http://www.koalarv.com/floorplans.php had a TV in a center stand that could rotate to face the queen bed or the living area. The dealer was bundling it with a 2008 Ford Ranger truck and the package was about $27,000. Clever idea although the truck seemed small to me.

The double slide out rigs feel comfortable

Double slide trailer:

Double slide fifth wheel:

What about hitting a few more shows? Or have you seen enough?
Have you ruled out fifth-wheels?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dbl sld trailer.jpg (285.2 KB, 1082 views)
File Type: jpg dbl sld fifth wheel.jpg (332.8 KB, 1082 views)
Old 03-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #49
Platinum Member

I'm curious as to what is on your must have list.
Some of my wants would be:
oven
enclosed shower (or at least a surround on the walls
cutlery/utensil drawers in the kitchen
adequate hanging space for clothes
adequate space for folded clothes
adequate kitchen storage for food
large fridge
double sink in kitchen (metal preferred)
comfortable angle for Television viewing
good quality fans like Maxx or Fantastic
queen bed
sofa
dinette
adequate exterior storage
air conditioner
double axle
ez lube hubs (or similar)
aerodynamic shape
enclosed underbelly
heated tanks
rock guard in front

and probably more...........
Old 03-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #50
Platinum Member

It's easy to spend a while (and $$$) at them. We've done it twice. There are some deals to be had
at the RV shows if you know what you need, and what you want, and can find something that falls
into both categories, at a good price. We're still trying to decide on what "needs/wants" are the
most important to us.
For example, I've noticed some trailers seem to have a shorter exposed hitch length than others.
I'm thinking that would restrict tight turning on short hitch models, as the rear of the truck may
contact the front of the trailer. So another thing to look at before buying.

We saw the Koala as one of the first enclosed underbelly models along with the KZ Spree LX. The Koala
was new to the RV dealer, and looked kind of cool with the "rough hewn floor board" look, artificial
floors. We liked the rear bath area in 2 layouts, but they looked a bit lower end in fit/finish. And I
think they were missing an oven, IIRC. Models 19RB and 21CS looked interesting.
The Spree model 231BHS was almost perfect, except for the bathroom sink was out in the main living area. It was kind of weird and put me off. Too bad, because it had rear bunks, accessible from the
outside or inside, with enough floor space to keep a litter box out of sight, but available (important).

We've also looked at (in no particular order) the Tracer(210FB 230FBS), Passport Ultra Lite(245RB 252BH), Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite(215RBS), Slingshot(GT21FD), Rockwood Ultra Lite(2304S), Rockwood Windjammer(2102W), Forest River Surveyor Sport(SP-220 SP-230), to name but a few.
We also saw a Tracer Executive series 25' model with double slides and a fireplace like in your picture,
which was only $25,995 but way too heavy and long. But roomy, and comfy feeling, as you said.

While we've been looking at trailers, we've been told by about 50% of the sales people that we can pull
more trailer than I'm comfortable pulling (trying to keep the dry weight at or around 4,000lbs.), and
one or two have actually challenged me with a "what's your problem?" attitude. So they were quickly
removed from the list of possible purchase locations. Some RV dealers must be so desperate to sell,
they don't care about alienating people with overly aggressive techniques.

Fivers are around twice the cost of a TT, and I'd have to sacrifice the Leer 700 fiberglass cover
that came with the truck to mount the fiver receiver in the truck bed. However, I would probably
prefer one to shorten the overall combined vehicle length. They might be slightly harder to hook
up and drop, but I'm not sure. Like anything, do it enough times, you get the hang of it.

Another thought about this is, if we want to do a short side trip that's "trailer unfriendly", where
to leave the trailer. I don't want to pay full price for a campground site, to leave it for just a few
hours. Any thoughts on where to drop a trailer for a few hours, for free? Or is this another reason
to stick with the B?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm curious as to what is on your must have list.
Some of my wants would be:
oven
enclosed shower (or at least a surround on the walls
cutlery/utensil drawers in the kitchen
adequate hanging space for clothes
adequate space for folded clothes
adequate kitchen storage for food
large fridge
double sink in kitchen (metal preferred)
comfortable angle for Television viewing
good quality fans like Maxx or Fantastic
queen bed
sofa
dinette
adequate exterior storage
air conditioner
double axle
ez lube hubs (or similar)
aerodynamic shape
enclosed underbelly
heated tanks
rock guard in front

and probably more...........
not bad for a newbie.

dry weight around 4,000 lbs.
overall length less than 25', including hitch.
longer/adjustable length hitch (possibly a WDH or anti-sway)
fiberglass on aluminum superstructure construction
highest insulation ratings in floor/walls/roof
prefer a non-rubber roof - fiberglass or composite available in some makes.
lower/narrower profile (if possible). some trailers are shorter than the average of 10' plus,
and some are less than 8' wide.
aluminum wheels
yes to dual axles (prefer them spaced apart by a bit, in case of problems so a
blow out one maybe doesn't take the other one with it)
spare tire not mounted under hitch (more clearance)
electric/power front hitch
power leveling jacks/outriggers
extra deep cycle battery (AGM preferred)
some sort of inverter - they usually come with a 55amp converter charger.
DSI (direct spark ignition) appliances with gas/electric options.
automatic selection fridge (gas/AC/DC)
roughed in satellite/cable wiring
rear ladder (for satellite dish mount?)
bikes/extras rear pull out rack (eventually, for bikes/generator?)
furnace ducted to under belly (some say heated underbelly, but they have really
just have electrically heated tanks, which doesn't do you much good if you're
dry camping)
hitch lock/wheel locks.

and probably more?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
..........................Another thought about this is, if we want to do a short side trip that's "trailer unfriendly", where to leave the trailer. I don't want to pay full price for a campground site, to leave it for just a few
hours. Any thoughts on where to drop a trailer for a few hours, for free? ...................
Good question. Hopefully some current or past trailer owners will comment.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #53
Platinum Member

I hope so.
I was thinking some NPS places might allow you to drop a trailer in their welcome center parking
lot for a few hours, to allow you to do a day visit to some of their scenic lookouts, providing you
removed it before end of day. I'm sure you'd have to ask permission first.
I don't think leaving it at a freeway rest area, a Walmart, or other retailer parking lot, or a truck
stop would be a good idea. I'm sure you'd be more likely to get broken into at a rest area, and the
retailers and truck stops wouldn't allow it.

My other thought would be, there is no way around it, and we'd probably have to get a spot in a
campground in order to safely leave a trailer unhooked, hassle free.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #54
Silver Member

We were faced with the same questions a few years back, only in reverse. We were pulling a small trailer with a SUV, after pulling pop-ups. Loved the TT, but hated pulling a "box" and backing it up. When we retired, we didn't want to be pulling anything while traveling the US and went with the B. That was the best decision we made, and know that the time will come when we'll be limiting our travels and staying put, to a warm climate for the winter months. We figured we will have 3 options....1) keep our B 2) a small class C and rent a car or 3) a pick up with a 5th wheel. I still like the idea of being able to get up and use the bathroom, lay down, get something to eat/drink while moving down the road. Also like the ease of hooking/unhooking and the security of putting a key in the ignition and driving off without having to get out of a trailer and climbing into a truck when a "situation" may arise. My dad has a 5th and based on our information and research, we found that the 5's are easier to pull and park. Still the pain of hooking/unhooking and finding places to park. He has a 27' with a slide and live in it for a month in FL and are very comfortable. Another option to pulling a "box" behind a truck, you might like the Trail Manor or Hi Lo trailers. Low profile so better on gas. Good luck on your decision.
yizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Older topic but I stumbled upon Winnebago Towables http://www.winnebagotowables.com/pro...oduct_id=11091

I didn't know Winnebago made towables. Has anyone here seen one? Any observations as to the quality of these?
Looks like they are around $1,000 per foot, slightly more or less depending on options.

Brochure: http://www.winnebagotowables.com/files/ ... ochure.pdf
Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Thanks.
They look very much like every other trailer I've looked at over the last year, since I first started thinking about making the switch to a larger trailer from a class B. I think the size and full bathroom, kitchen, and sleeping areas, were what we were after, and we could save a few bucks on pet sitting. The down sides have been mentioned earlier in this topic, as well as the cost to change over, and they don't have all the conveniences of our B as it sits right now, which are better fuel economy, a built in remote operated generator, where to leave it (you don't) when you just want to explore, limitations on where you fit and don't, and having to exit the vehicle to get to the "house" stuff. Lack of battery power/inversion capability for off grid camping was also an issue, that could be solved, but few trailers come equipped as off grid units. We like to be self-sufficient when out on the road, and many trailers tend to rely on "hook ups". I think we may still keep looking casually at trailers, but until they build one with the same level of off grid capability as our van, we'll probably keep paying the pet sitting lady.
Besides that, trailers are all manufactured at a secret factory somewhere near Elkhart, Indiana, and are just rebadged, and sometimes repainted, when they arrive in North American showrooms and RV dealerships, to make them look more unique.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Thanks.
They look very much like every other trailer I've looked at over the last year, since I first started thinking about making the switch to a larger trailer from a class B. I think the size and full bathroom, kitchen, and sleeping areas, were what we were after, and we could save a few bucks on pet sitting. The down sides have been mentioned earlier in this topic, as well as the cost to change over, and they don't have all the conveniences of our B as it sits right now, which are better fuel economy, a built in remote operated generator, where to leave it (you don't) when you just want to explore, limitations on where you fit and don't, and having to exit the vehicle to get to the "house" stuff. Lack of battery power/inversion capability for off grid camping was also an issue, that could be solved, but few trailers come equipped as off grid units. We like to be self-sufficient when out on the road, and many trailers tend to rely on "hook ups". I think we may still keep looking casually at trailers, but until they build one with the same level of off grid capability as our van, we'll probably keep paying the pet sitting lady.
Besides that, trailers are all manufactured at a secret factory somewhere near Elkhart, Indiana, and are just rebadged, and sometimes repainted, when they arrive in North American showrooms and RV dealerships, to make them look more unique.

when i started reading this i did not realize your first post was a year ago. I have a similiar situation which we are trying to decide. we have 2 cats. one of them requires insulin shots twice a day. the cat that requires shots is also a big baby. does not adapt well. because of the shots our neighbor will no longer watch it. i am leaning toward getting a honda ridgeline and a trailmanor 2922ks
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #58
Platinum Member

That looks like a decent combo. Is the Trailmanor a 5th wheel? Not really? It says it's a folder? The pics I can find looks like it has a travel trailer hitch, but a forward storage or bunk bed area that hovers over the truck bed. Looks like a faux fiver? Is that right? That's a clever way to increase the trailer's interior space without requiring a truck bed mount for the hitch. Don't think I saw any like it when I was actively looking. You'd have to be careful about driving though low spots in roads. I'd think the forward section of the trailer could tilt down on the top of the truck bed and tonneau if you had one.
http://www3.rvt.com/rvdetail5161235.htm ... detail_top
I was looking at using my F150 Super Crew to pull something light, and a lot less expensive (around $15K to $20K tops), not a 5th wheel (my truck has an expensive tonneau bed cover that would help to protect extras like fuel, portable generators, bikes, etc.), no pop ups or tents, and had to be equipped with some sort of Arctic or other similar insulation package for very hot, and very cold weather. Heated enclosed underbelly was another must have item. Hard, but not impossible, to find at that price.
While I was searching for the trailer you mentioned for a look, I was thinking about another negative, which is, when you do park it in the campground, and decide to do a little exploring in the tow vehicle, who guards the trailer? Security is another issue when you leave your "house" and most of your belongings behind. An alarm system might be an option to help with htis issue, but like car alarms, who pays attention to them besides the owner, and if you're 50 miles away, you aren't likely to hear it. Unless it has wireless pagin capability and it dials you to report the break in, and if you're too far away, not much you can do except worry, as you race back to the crime scene.

We know what you mean about your cats. It's a shame about your diabetic one, that must be difficult. Ours are both fairly healthy, although they're getting into their twilight years, and it's becoming more obvious with each passing day. So are we, btw.
Our biggest issue preventing us from enjoying extended stays away from home has always been the cats. We love them, but can't imagine living in a class B for more than a few days with those 2 extra passengers on board. Our primary reason for looking into the larger option of truck/trailer was to increase the living space for the 4 of us, if we wanted to do longer stays in the southern USA during our Canadian winters, and saving us the extra cost of pet sitting. The 2 options of paying for a cat sitter service while we're away for up to 3 weeks mostly touring, versus buying a trailer and dealing with the mobility, security, and independence issues it entailed, caused us to decide to maintain the status quo for now. The class B method won in a fairly closely matched competition. Probably better overall mileage although once you get to the destination, your mileage improves when you drop the trailer. You drive, and you park, and fall into bed, not much prep work if you do it right. No separation of you with your home and valuables. The class B doesn't need to be plugged into shore if you don't want to spend the money on campgrounds. There were some more pluses on the class B side, but I can't recall them now.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #59
Platinum Member

trailmanors are hard sided folding trailers. i suggest you just go to trailmanor website
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #60
Platinum Member

It is a true folding trailer, as you said. They didn't make the short list, along with the other ones mentioned above, before we shelved the project. Too lazy to set something like it up, particularly in bad weather, too many moving parts, and if the torsion lift assists ever failed or broke, you're sleeping in a tent, or your tow vehicle. They're expensive, too. New, $30K plus I believe I saw online.