Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Ordered new RV today

I just wanted to say thanks to those like mojoman who helped me to finally select my RV, and pass a bit back to anyone still looking for something similar. I've done a ton of reading and study about what we will use an RV for to ensure we will be happy with it.

I had decided to get something on the promaster 21 foot chassis for driving and parking flexibility - very important to me. I figured anything longer than 21 feet wouldn't fit in a standard parking space. Yes I know 21 feet is pushing it but I couldn't find anything smaller that met my needs.

It had to be boondocking ready as I have always avoided serviced sites and love the idea of disbursed camping. This meant finding a large self contained power source and large water capacity for creature comforts. The battery capacity and generator backup had to be highly reliable and the generator self starting as well so we could confidently leave our dog in the RV for occasions where dogs aren't welcome.

The best option I found was the 2017 Roadtrek Zion with underhood 280 ah (3.4 kW) generator, ecotrek 400 amp hour LiPo batteries, 300 watt solar panels, engine auto start, and a high power inverter. These options I expect will work great for boondocking. The Roadtrek fresh water tank is by far the largest in the promaster at 37 gallons. The Sprinter conversions I looked at have a smaller fresh water tank. The propane tank isn't huge at 30 lb but still bigger than most for the promaster. The fridge like the travato 59K is an efficient electric compressor driven only unit so no propane usage. I will tee in an external 20 or 40 lb tank if necessary for cold weather camping to operate the heating. This teeing in option occurred to me after quite a bit of searching. We plan to do a lot of cold weather camping. With the power handling capabilities of the Zion, I may even look into adding tank heaters, line heating, and insulating the tanks and lines. The heaters on the travato run on 9 amps I've read. I would need one more tank heater plus line heating - the travato fresh water tank is inside. I'm thinking less than 20 amps should do it and hopefully tank insulation will reduce runtime. A project for the future.

I was close to buying either the Pleasureway Lexor or the Winnebago Travato 59G. While I liked both these units the Zion with its power options, tank capacities, and 6 year complete warrantee stood out from the crowd. The engine is dead quiet compared to a standard RV generator and starts automatically and reliably. I even went for the Alde under floor radiant heat option so even the heat is silent, comfortable, and highly efficient. The furnace in our old camper always woke me up when it started. It sounded like someone running a vacuum 3 feet from your head. Freezing was preferable. This radiant heating should be awesome.

One other interesting note. The Zion comes with cab slider blinds and leather captains chairs up front. Both Pleasureway and Winnebago claimed it was not possible to recover the front promaster seats due to the side airbags or alter the cab in any way. Somehow Roadtrek managed to do it. The solar panels are essentially frameless and flat on the roof in one big block so there should be almost no wind drag or whistling while driving. Hopefully they stay on!

The only missed feature I was keen on for convenience is the legless awning that PW and WGO introduced for 2017 (WGO for 2017 and a half). I figured maybe the legs aren't such a bad idea anyway. I'm lazy but don't think taking them down will kill me. The Pleasureway units have nicer cabinetry but both RT and PW are plywood based and well made. My salesman answered my question about Travato cabinet material noting the cabinets are made from particleboard. He could be wrong - but for me particleboard in RV cabinetry is too easy to damage and therefore a show stopper.

Thanks again for all the advice from the forum members! I'm itching to take delivery of my new toy - even though it will arrive in the winter. Hopefully this might be helpful to others keen on boondocking.
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
Silver Member

Congrats! Did you consider a Hymer Aktiv? That is what we just bought.
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
Gold Member

Is it true that you can't get the leather seats (bed and up front) unless you sacrifice the layout that allows bikes to be carried in the rear section?
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Congratulations, I can still remeber the day I brought home my Roadtrek for the first time, I think I was out there in the driveway for 4 hours just going through everything, I hope you have alot of fun and enjoyment from your new rv, please post some pics when you can, we always love to see other peoples rvs, take care,,,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
Silver Member

Thanks. No I didn't. I'm not familiar with it. Up here in Canada the RV options are somewhat limited. Most available in the US aren't sold here and cannot be imported to Canada.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #6
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
Congrats! Did you consider a Hymer Aktiv? That is what we just bought.
Thanks. While I'm not sure, I suspect like most options available to the US market it may not be available in Canada.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
Silver Member

I don't think so. The rear forward facing bench is an upgrade which I took that is separate from the leather option. I took the forward facing bench option because if you have 3rd and 4th passengers (our kids may come with us sometimes and tent it), it would be pretty awkward to be belted in sitting sideways on the bench. I figured if I wanted to load bikes I'd bring them in the side door. Further, if I had something long like a paddleboard or kayak, I figured I could just lay the rear sofa flat and put them on top.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member

They have started naming the Hymer dealers in Canada, Woody's RV is one that has been identified. The Hymers will be sold in Canada.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #9
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
Congratulations, I can still remeber the day I brought home my Roadtrek for the first time, I think I was out there in the driveway for 4 hours just going through everything, I hope you have alot of fun and enjoyment from your new rv, please post some pics when you can, we always love to see other peoples rvs, take care,,,,,,,
Thanks. Will do. We could have it in 6 to 8 weeks but we're trying to arrange to get it on a 2017 promaster chassis. That is still being worked out.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
They have started naming the Hymer dealers in Canada, Woody's RV is one that has been identified. The Hymers will be sold in Canada.
The first Ontario Hymer Activ dealer announced is Thousand Islands RV Centre in Gananoque. This is not on the GoHymer website but it is on the dealer website. We got this information from the Erwin Hymer NA reps. This location is near the Canada/US border (NY state).
Old 10-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPotomac View Post
Is it true that you can't get the leather seats (bed and up front) unless you sacrifice the layout that allows bikes to be carried in the rear section?
I think that Roadtrek can put leather on the Promaster cab seats because they crash test all new models and if they can fulfill Transport Canada requirements with the leather seats, then it is available to the consumer. This is one of the reasons that the Hymer Activ has taken so long to be offered in Canada. I supposed the regulations are different in the US. They also told me that the US manufacturers who sell their RVs in Canada need to do the same but many do not do this on all the model lines. This is why Canadian dealers may not carry all models of a brand.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #12
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefx View Post
The first Ontario Hymer Activ dealer announced is Thousand Islands RV Centre in Gananoque. This is not on the GoHymer website but it is on the dealer website. We got this information from the Erwin Hymer NA reps. This location is near the Canada/US border (NY state).
I looked up the Hymer Aktiv. I understand they own Roadtrek now. I like the layout of the Roadtrek better but the 4 season nature of this thing has me intrigued.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Congrats! Any under chassis work get done before you get it dirty. I coated mine with a polymer/insulating ceramic bead mix. It took several hours and several coats but wasn't too hard to do since neatness doesn't count under there and it was clean. 3/8" gym rubber or neoprene works great for covering stuff under the van. I have most of my undercarriage and gray water tank covered with the stuff. Also, a set of Boss airbags will make it drive even better and are easy to install, with the extra valving and pump it can be used to help level the van if you go that route.
I believe you already have a rear sway bar if not get one, they are easy to install and cheap.The distributor for Boss air bags is in Canada.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #14
Bronze Member

We pick up our roadtrek zion tomorrow. It on the promaster chassis with solar, cherry cabinets and leather seats. Already have a couple boondocking places pick out to do a little stealhead fishing. It will be nice to get all the piles of stuff out of the living room and in the camper.
Woodpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #15
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
Congrats! Any under chassis work get done before you get it dirty. I coated mine with a polymer/insulating ceramic bead mix. It took several hours and several coats but wasn't too hard to do since neatness doesn't count under there and it was clean. 3/8" gym rubber or neoprene works great for covering stuff under the van. I have most of my undercarriage and gray water tank covered with the stuff. Also, a set of Boss airbags will make it drive even better and are easy to install, with the extra valving and pump it can be used to help level the van if you go that route.
I believe you already have a rear sway bar if not get one, they are easy to install and cheap.The distributor for Boss air bags is in Canada.
Thanks mojoman! Did you install tank heaters or line heating as well? The Roadtrek salesman mentioned Roadtrek are really good about responding to custom requests. Apparently if they can accommodate you they will. Given the fact that my van isn't built yet, I'll take the 4 season winterization up with him to see how the dealer or Roadtrek could at least make the job easier while stuff is exposed or brand new and clean as you mention. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for the advise on the suspension. I have a great mechanic who I've used for all my vehicle repairs for 20 years. I plan to take the van to him once I receive it to look it over for consideration of suspension upgrades and I'd really like the headlights upgraded with a xenon kit.

After that would be some rust proofing which I would like to go overboard on. If I do use the van in winter, our salt covered roads eat vehicles for breakfast.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post
Thanks mojoman! Did you install tank heaters or line heating as well? The Roadtrek salesman mentioned Roadtrek are really good about responding to custom requests. Apparently if they can accommodate you they will. Given the fact that my van isn't built yet, I'll take the 4 season winterization up with him to see how the dealer or Roadtrek could at least make the job easier while stuff is exposed or brand new and clean as you mention. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for the advise on the suspension. I have a great mechanic who I've used for all my vehicle repairs for 20 years. I plan to take the van to him once I receive it to look it over for consideration of suspension upgrades and I'd really like the headlights upgraded with a xenon kit.

After that would be some rust proofing which I would like to go overboard on. If I do use the van in winter, our salt covered roads eat vehicles for breakfast.
Do ask about custom work. In my conversation yesterday, I was told they want to be 'customer-centric'. Not that everything is possible but do feel free to contact the RT directly and ask. The dealer may look at you cross-eyed
Old 10-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #17
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpaddler View Post
We pick up our roadtrek zion tomorrow. It on the promaster chassis with solar, cherry cabinets and leather seats. Already have a couple boondocking places pick out to do a little stealhead fishing. It will be nice to get all the piles of stuff out of the living room and in the camper.
Sounds awesome! Congrats. What color did you go for the outside and cabinets. We are looking at the sandstone outside paint and ivory cabinets. Love the charcoal outside paint but think we'd fry in the thing!

Did you go for the forward facing bench in the rear? We are still sorting details with the dealer but are leaning that way because our adult kids may come on some trips and also so we can hide crap like inflatable paddleboards under the sofa. My wife is bemoaning the loss of all those storage drawers under the benches. Still flipping and flopping.

I'm self employed but foresee my work dropping to part time over the next 4 years when I plan to retire outright. I should have months long breaks beginning mid of next year. Thus why we are buying the van now. For now, I'm just working too much and envious of people getting out there.

Enjoy your trips!
Old 10-23-2016, 10:14 PM   #18
Silver Member

Quote:
The Roadtrek brochure describes a load of sway assist type features. Most of it sounds like a load of marketing BS but if they have active components added to the suspension already then obviously I wouldn't want to mess with it. That's why I'd get someone like my mechanic to advise me.

I read on the fit RV site that they lifted the rear of their promaster an inch with something called Sumo Blocks fit into the rear springs. The Roadtrek doesnt have the greatest ground clearance all round so such things are tempting but again I'd like to proceed with some trusted advice and not create a mess.

I had a Mazda MPV that I used to pull my travel trailer with. It was a white knuckle experience when a truck passed. Before I had anti-away bars on the hitch, a passing truck could swing the front end of the van over 2 inches. Scared the hell out of me.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #19
Platinum Member

It doesn't take much longer install air bags vs Sumo blocks, which are just bigger rubber axle stops with no adjustability. After I load up my unit, I adjust the airbags so there is equal distance above the tire and fender. There is usually 5-15 psi difference depending on what I am carrying and where. Before I put the airbags on and when I fully loaded the van it required a bit more steering input/corrections. Now it feels more solid and tracks better with little correction. With the oversized rear sway bars, air bags and the the antisway system that the van comes equipped with, I have never had a pucker moment in heavy wind or from semi trucks. Wind doesn't effect the van much, about the same as my honda odyssey.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:44 PM   #20
Silver Member

Quote:
It doesn't take much longer install air bags vs Sumo blocks, which are just bigger rubber axle stops with no adjustability. After I load up my unit, I adjust the airbags so there is equal distance above the tire and fender. There is usually 5-15 psi difference depending on what I am carrying and where. Before I put the airbags on and when I fully loaded the van it required a bit more steering input/corrections. Now it feels more solid and tracks better with little correction. With the oversized rear sway bars, air bags and the the antisway system that the van comes equipped with, I have never had a pucker moment in heavy wind or from semi trucks. Wind doesn't effect the van much, about the same as my honda odyssey.
Sounds perfect then. Thanks for the advice. Always better to have an adjustable system. I can imagine our weight will vary a lot especially with boondocking traveling with bikes, paddleboards, full tanks, and added propane. We are notorious for camping very heavy. Locally, we usually pull our 20 foot boat loaded to the gunnels with extra crap that would never fit in my SUV. Time to simplify!!