Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #1

Default Ordering new Airstream 19

Hi All!

We've owned 2 class Cs in the past. We sold the last one, A 33.5 foot Jayco, last year after only owning it for a year. Husband doesn't like RV life and it was just too big of a rig to handle all by myself. I also towed a car. I loved it when I got somewhere and was all set up, but it was just too much work by myself.

I can't believe I've talked him into getting another RV but we both see the advantage of a Class B. He can come on day trips, it will park great at hotels (his words) and it will be easy for me to take for a weekend trip with my girlfriends or family.

After looking at the 24 footers I really don't want anything that feels too big again so we are going to get a Airstream Interstate 19. Of course there are none available to buy or even look at so we will need to order one and probably won't get it until December or January.

Has anyone else put an order in for a new Class B from Airstream? Any tips that we should know about or anything special that we should make sure we cover before we put our order in? I've done the research and have watched many videos of walkthroughs. I know this is the model I want. We will be ordering it with 4X4. 2021 comes with lithium batteries as a forced option which I would have gotten anyway. Everything else is standard.It seems crazy to order something so expensive sight unseen!

We live in Bremerton WA.

I'd love it if you could share any experiences, good or bad.

Thank you!
Lisa
Northwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:06 AM   #2
Silver Member

Before you order, you may want to contact Airstream directly to ask what their current estimated delivery times are as well as ask when they plan on refreshing the model. With a 5-6 month delivery time, you probably want to avoid buying a model year just as it’s turning over (Pleasure Way just introduced a refreshed 2021.5 model year). Also, you may want to confirm that your rig will be built on a 2020 Sprinter chassis. In all likelihood it would, but you want to avoid any unnecessary surprises. Your dealer may not have the most current info or engage in some puffery

Edit: One more thing. If you might be parking in hotel parking lots, you may want to make your rig a bit more stealthy. By ordering the van, you have the opportunity to ask Airstream to not add any decals that would give you away as a parking lot camper more easily. My van will come without exterior signage for that reason.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:28 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwestie View Post
Hi All!

We've owned 2 class Cs in the past. We sold the last one, A 33.5 foot Jayco, last year after only owning it for a year. Husband doesn't like RV life and it was just too big of a rig to handle all by myself. I also towed a car. I loved it when I got somewhere and was all set up, but it was just too much work by myself.

I can't believe I've talked him into getting another RV but we both see the advantage of a Class B. He can come on day trips, it will park great at hotels (his words) and it will be easy for me to take for a weekend trip with my girlfriends or family.

After looking at the 24 footers I really don't want anything that feels too big again so we are going to get a Airstream Interstate 19. Of course there are none available to buy or even look at so we will need to order one and probably won't get it until December or January.

Has anyone else put an order in for a new Class B from Airstream? Any tips that we should know about or anything special that we should make sure we cover before we put our order in? I've done the research and have watched many videos of walkthroughs. I know this is the model I want. We will be ordering it with 4X4. 2021 comes with lithium batteries as a forced option which I would have gotten anyway. Everything else is standard.It seems crazy to order something so expensive sight unseen!

We live in Bremerton WA.

I'd love it if you could share any experiences, good or bad.

Thank you!
Lisa
Welcome to the forum Lisa!

I have an Airstream (not the Nineteen, but an almost 10 yr. old Avenue with basically the same floorplan except on the Chevy chassis). So I'm also a member at airforms.com where you will find more recent Nineteen owners.

I hope you are correct that Airstream is finally making lithium batteries standard on their class b's. I had not heard that.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:31 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post
Before you order, you may want to contact Airstream directly to ask what their current estimated delivery times are as well as ask when they plan on refreshing the model. With a 5-6 month delivery time, you probably want to avoid buying a model year just as it’s turning over (Pleasure Way just introduced a refreshed 2021.5 model year). Also, you may want to confirm that your rig will be built on a 2020 Sprinter chassis. In all likelihood it would, but you want to avoid any unnecessary surprises. Your dealer may not have the most current info or engage in some puffery

Edit: One more thing. If you might be parking in hotel parking lots, you may want to make your rig a bit more stealthy. By ordering the van, you have the opportunity to ask Airstream to not add any decals that would give you away as a parking lot camper more easily. My van will come without exterior signage for that reason.
Airstream has never put stripes or overt badging on their class b's, save for the 1-1/2" chrome AIRSTREAM lettering on both sides and rear. I removed mine immediately and have had no issues with my HOA in almost 3 years. So I agree with you that stealth in your friend.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I take it that parking at hotels is a joke by your husband. However, you got it right for a 19 footer as most hotel parking lots are tight and a 24 footer would stick out in the driveway aisle. We have parked in hotel parking lots. You just have to ask. One time was in downtown Louisville, KY for a nephew's wedding. Of course it helped that was the headquarters for all the other out of town wedding guests staying in the hotel. We parked at a bed and breakfast in Newport, RI. All it took was the owner asked for and received a tour of our van. All you need to do is ask. Stealth helps little as they know. Inconspicuous parking though helps and vans taking up two spaces is not inconspicuous and perhaps a rejection in asking.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Airstream has never put stripes or overt badging on their class b's, save for the 1-1/2" chrome AIRSTREAM lettering on both sides and rear.
Our first-generation Interstate had PLENTY of obnoxious stripes in addition to the huge chrome "A I R S T R E A M" lettering (which promptly started falling off, letter-by-letter).

Everybody's doing better these days, but Airstream was by no means immune to the "Elkhart graffiti" madness.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Our first-generation Interstate had PLENTY of obnoxious stripes in addition to the huge chrome "A I R S T R E A M" lettering (which promptly started falling off, letter-by-letter).

Everybody's doing better these days, but Airstream was by no means immune to the "Elkhart graffiti" madness.
Ok, you got me. Fifteen years ago they had stripes/graffics. At least they got better at attaching their gaudy chrome lettering. Mine wouldn't come off with fishing line. I had to switch to dental floss.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your input. Ordering on Friday!! I'm so excited. I miss the freedom of an RV and look forward to having one that is easier to hop into for the day. It will probably be January before we get it but it will be a great Christmas present and sure sign that 2021 is going to be a great year!!
Old 02-04-2021, 09:48 PM   #9

Default Ordering new airstream nineteen

Hello. Did you get your ordered camper van yet? We just put an order in for a new Interstate nineteen 4x4 three days again. Sight unseen. Delivery in August
Going places is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:53 AM   #10

Hi Going Places
We ended up buying a 2021 Interstate 24 GT. After much research and thinking I didn't want the 24' I decided the Nineteen was just too small. We took delivery in October 2020 and headed out for Palm Desert CA a week later. I love it!! We stayed one night in it on the way down on the Oregon coast and then 2 nights in a hotel. I use it down here as our second car. Love being able to go shopping at Costco and put my food in the fridge and freezer without having to run home. I can stay out all day and have my own private bathroom!! A girl's dream car!!

We've had a couple of issues that have been resolved. I wrote about our blind spot sensor in another post. Also, I replaced the latches on all of the drawers with 10# latches. The ones that came on the cabinets were a joke and we had drawers flying open on our trip down from Washington State. Our drawer with the garbage/paper towel holder got a bit bend and now I have to sort of pick up on it to latch but hopefully Airstream can fix that when I return to Washington in the spring. We're getting ready for a road trip over to Arizona for a few days. Probably a night or two in the RV and a night or two in hotels.

I'm crazy about the van though and can just go sit in it in the driveway and be a happy camper!!

Lisa
Old 02-05-2021, 04:00 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm crazy about the van though and can just go sit in it in the driveway and be a happy camper!!

Lisa
I tthought I was the only one that did that.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi Going Places
We ended up buying a 2021 Interstate 24 GT. After much research and thinking I didn't want the 24' I decided the Nineteen was just too small. We took delivery in October 2020 and headed out for Palm Desert CA a week later. I love it!! We stayed one night in it on the way down on the Oregon coast and then 2 nights in a hotel. I use it down here as our second car. Love being able to go shopping at Costco and put my food in the fridge and freezer without having to run home. I can stay out all day and have my own private bathroom!! A girl's dream car!!

We've had a couple of issues that have been resolved. I wrote about our blind spot sensor in another post. Also, I replaced the latches on all of the drawers with 10# latches. The ones that came on the cabinets were a joke and we had drawers flying open on our trip down from Washington State. Our drawer with the garbage/paper towel holder got a bit bend and now I have to sort of pick up on it to latch but hopefully Airstream can fix that when I return to Washington in the spring. We're getting ready for a road trip over to Arizona for a few days. Probably a night or two in the RV and a night or two in hotels.

Lisa
Very nice. Funny you mention this, I was talking to my friend about it today. I happened to see a new one in person and love the interior. The leather and the seats just feel really nice. I have the Sprinter 24', it is definitely long, but it drives okay for what it is. Just be ready to hold on for windy days.
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #13

Default Ordering new Airstream 19

Hello
Thought you were going to use it for more camping. We're looking to camp, boondock occasionally and get to see some unique parts of the country.
Enjoy.
Going places is offline   Reply With Quote