Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Outdoor Mats

Marko Edit: I split this off from another topic to make a new topic.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't mean to hi-jack or change subject, but Marco has mentioned outdoor mats a couple of times, and fitting in a small space like a tube and having a good outdoor mat is not easy. Here is a link to some pics of the mat we use. It folds very small, is 3X5', porous so water goes through and no condensation under it. Woven and looks like angle hair spaghetti. Feel free to move this if you think it doesn't belong here.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/roadtrek/ ... 5/pic/list
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Outdoor Mats

Like this: http://www.floormatsystems.com/floor-ma ... r-mat.html

That looks like a good mat for RV use. Using it as an occupied site sign is clever.
Was the first one stolen from your site?

You're probably right about it being problematic rolling up a mat and putting it in a tube now that I think about it. The mat would have to be small.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Like this: http://www.floormatsystems.com/floor-ma ... r-mat.html

That looks like a good mat for RV use. Using it as an occupied site sign is clever.
Was the first one stolen from your site?

You're probably right about it being problematic rolling up a mat and putting it in a tube now that I think about it. The mat would have to be small.
Yep, that is the mat, available on a few different sites at widely varying prices, get it without the backing so it will breathe and is easy to hose clean. We had tried a lot of mats and all had similar problems. To big when folded. Condensation and the generated mud on the backside always making a mess just when you want to pack up and go, hard to clean and dry. Our 3X5' on rolls up to about 30" long and 6" diameter, which is about 1/3 the size of anything else that will hold dirt off the surface, at least that we found. As you see in the pics, it fits on the running board behind the second side door very easily. Putting in a tube would be kind of like pushing cooked spaghetti up a straw!

Our first one was stolen, in Sleeping Giant provincial park, while we were gone for no more than an hour, with sites on both sides occupied. Second day of the trip, so we had to get a quick substitute. That is why we painted this one with our name, so we can have the painted side up when we are gone, marking the site (whoever took it would just say they thought we forgot it), and identifying it. When we are there, we use the clear side.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I use the fake looking bristle grass type mat I picked up at an Ace Hardware store. It rolls up easily. Does a good job of scraping off the bottom of your shoes. Before I put it away I turn it over and slam it down on a picnic table and most all the sand, dirt and debris falls out.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... Id=1275667
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I use the fake looking bristle grass type mat I picked up at an Ace Hardware store. It rolls up easily. Does a good job of scraping off the bottom of your shoes. Before I put it away I turn it over and slam it down on a picnic table and most all the sand, dirt and debris falls out.

That is what we used to use, and it worked pretty well, except it got lots of condensation on the underside which held all kinds of dirt. We always seem to be leaving in the morning when it was very wet and would have to dry the bottom with paper towels before we could stow it. The new one stays mostly dry, and we can store or 3X5 in the space of the 1.5X2 grass mat.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Rok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd

That's the one we use. It seems to do the trick. We put it inside the door, however, and shake out the dirt when we leave.

Muddy feet seem to be the bane of a small motorhome.

.........Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:49 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Old topic but I wanted to mention that I saw the green PVC spaghetti mats with no backing in a local shop today. I bought one for use outside the van approx 2' x 3' for $13. It's approx 1/2" thick and rolls up nice & compact.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:27 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Old topic but I wanted to mention that I saw the green PVC spaghetti mats with no backing in a local shop today. I bought one for use outside the van approx 2' x 3' for $13. It's approx 1/2" thick and rolls up nice & compact.
That is a very good deal!
Old 07-10-2015, 02:03 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I got this one in-store from Rossy.ca but, after Googling "misua mat" (misua is on the label) I see hardware stores like Rona and Home Hardware also carry it. Misua translates to noodle.