Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2021, 01:57 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Over steer

I was just given a do it yourself class b from my brother . It’s on a 2008 Ford F-250 chassis with a 4.6 v8.
I have had a 1990 class b on a dodge b250 chassis that had no problem with over steer but this Ford sure does not handle like the dodge.
Before I was given this Ford we were looking at a 2008 wide body pleasureway and the guy told me that it had spacers on the back wheels. Is this a normal thing you need to do with these fords.
My brother has always maintained this vehicle very well.
The pleasure way was also on a Ford chassis.
dutchduo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchduo1990 View Post
I was just given a do it yourself class b from my brother . It’s on a 2008 Ford F-250 chassis with a 4.6 v8.
I have had a 1990 class b on a dodge b250 chassis that had no problem with over steer but this Ford sure does not handle like the dodge.
Before I was given this Ford we were looking at a 2008 wide body pleasureway and the guy told me that it had spacers on the back wheels. Is this a normal thing you need to do with these fords.

Isn't an F-250 Ford a pickup? The others are vans. Is it an E-250?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Please define what you mean by "over steer".

I recently rented a Ford truck from Home Depot, and after making a turn and releasing the steering wheel, it would continue to turn and not straighten up. The problem on that beast was a steering damper that didn't allow the steering to return to center on its own. YMMV.
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:02 AM   #4
Silver Member

Not sure but I assume your right, it must be an E 250
Old 12-10-2021, 02:06 AM   #5
Silver Member

I’m constantly moving the steering wheel left and right on the highway. What is the reason some people put rear wheel spacer on.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
I’m constantly moving the steering wheel left and right on the highway. What is the reason some people put rear wheel spacer on.

That is not what is the normal definition of oversteer and wound more commonly called plain old loose steering and wander. It would commonly be worn parts in steering linkage, maybe a steering gear also, outside chance loose wheel bearings. Correcting the wheel track front to rear with spacers can also help as does making sure the shocks are good and often upgraded.

The affect can be magnified by a vehicle that understeers, and nearly all class b RVs have underesteer, some more some less. The Fords are generally on the less end of the scale. Understeer makes the steering inputs not turn the vehicle enough to correct normal movements of the vehicle side to side from wind or uneven pavement. This means larger steering inputs than would be needed in a fast reacting car like a BMW, for instance. If it is not tolerable is a very subjective thing with some, like me, not liking it at all and some tolerant of a inch of correction in wheel being needed, or more. For reference, if you look up the definition of understeer it will state more rear traction than front and would be shown in the front wheels skidding first on hard cornering or on a skid pad test. Basically, whether you go of the road because the vehicle didn't turn. In oversteer the rear would have less traction and slide first, so you would spin out.

If everything in the wear item and track are made good and it is still uncomfortable to drive, then a large rear swaybar would probably be the next step as that will generally reduce understeer a lot.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
Platinum Member

E-Series vans can usually benefit from a good wheel alignment including a caster adjustment using specs that might require some additional parts. Do a search of the internet looking for info on wheel alignments for Ford E-series vans that have been converted to RVs.

Here's one to get you started LINK

Also think about getting a very heavy duty steering stabilizer like this one LINK made by Roadmaster.

Good luck.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
My B was built on a 2007 E350 chassis. The mileage was only 31k when I purchased it back in 2017. I had the exact same problem of constantly having to correct the steering while going down the road. Increasing the castor is what solved that issue for me. I had my mechanic install the "Ingalls Engineering 59400 Alignment Adjustable Camber /Caster Bushings" and asked him to adjust them to the max castor that he could. (I don't remember the numbers, maybe increasing it +2 degrees) The difference was night and day. The steering now returns to center on it's own after turning and I no longer have to constantly make corrections while driving down the highway.
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:16 PM   #9

X3... More positive caster!

I am a retired Bridgestone/Firestone store manager.

A good alignment shop will check all steering linkage and suspension parts for wear. Then camber/caster bushings can be installed, to increase +caster as mention above with a wheel alignment.

Adjusting camber/caster on many cars/trucks is normally part of an alignment, but the Ford twin I beam is not adjustable from the factory. It requires after market bushings to make changes to either one. I retired before your 2008 was built, but IIRC, and a quick search... It looks like the 1965 twin I beam technology was still being used in 08. I was never a fan

---Bill.
sc68z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:29 PM   #10

To be clear on this...
Yes, not enough positive caster will cause a vehicle to WONDER, need to constantly steer it.

---Bill.
sc68z28 is offline   Reply With Quote